Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I’d quite like to hand a board of directors new contracts that require up to 50% pay cut in their salaries..:that’s really where some savings should come from along side other savings sure. I get savings should or need to be made but this seems cruel and a disaster for society in the longer term.

Does the board take any pay cuts in these types of scenarios? And I don’t mean bonuses or divis.

The company I work for, our CEO is taking nothing to Apr 2021. The board have taken a 50% salary cut and cancelled their 2019 performance bonus in order to keep some money in the pot for staff to stay on.

In terms of IAG, I would be shocked if any of the board took anything more than a 10% pay cut. It seems ivory towers are very much impenetrable.
AdBoy, Silver Fox, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry
Ours start on 28-30k now - with recent restructuring to bring Sundays inside the working week. Most in-house hosts don't get comission on their sales and any OTE is likely to simply reflect the more realistic salary when rostered Sundays are worked. Sundays are still outside the working week for a lot of frontline roles on the railway. That's a discussion for a completely different forum...
Also the role was restructured to allow them to act as the sole customer service rep in the front half of 2 trains coupled with no way of walking through, so to remove the need for another safety critical Train Manager on just under £40k.

re: unions, once Covid and Brexit transition ends, I’m fully expecting Boris and co to have the knives out for workers right, unions and rail in particular, so anyone considering the jump from aviation into the rail industry, be warned, change is potentially on the way, especially if BA and other employers set this example now.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 3:09 am

I would encourage everyone to go to the link below and sign the petition. Thank you.

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johns...it-time-to-act
Old May 5, 2020, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by AdamUK
Also the role was restructured to allow them to act as the sole customer service rep in the front half of 2 trains coupled with no way of walking through, so to remove the need for another safety critical Train Manager on just under £40k.

re: unions, once Covid and Brexit transition ends, I’m fully expecting Boris and co to have the knives out for workers right, unions and rail in particular, so anyone considering the jump from aviation into the rail industry, be warned, change is potentially on the way, especially if BA and other employers set this example now.
Indeed - although the FSL part of the role was already there on an ad-hoc enhancement.

They'd do well to leave the railway alone for a bit. If they did come for the unions and our pay/terms, I could foresee a national strike. Problem with that, of course, is that ASLEF isn't exactly renowned for its PR and interaction with the general public. The Tories are going to want our salaries to stay high for a bit so they've got more to tax us on to pay for all of this Covid stimulus.

Also, there is some comparison to be made between the airlines and the railway. Ultimately, I don't claim to have the skills and knowledge that a pilot requires. But there won't be many FOs earning what I will when I qualify, and I won't have paid 100k to get there. I'll have one of the best pensions going, and my working pattern is enviable in any industry. The only reason our salaries are so high and our terms are so good is strong union representation. When it was the "good" old days of BR, drivers made a pittance, worked 5or6 days a week and relied on favorable restoring to get mileage payments, which, invariably only went to senior men (and before the PC brigade goes off, it was predominantly men and thankfully we have come a long way since then.) This sounds very much like what CC need to do to boost their earnings - work more, earn their flight pay on longer jobs. So, to me, it seems that the railway, in terms of pay and conditions, is some 30-40years ahead. Unfortunately, it really doesn't appear that either the Pilots or CC have strong enough unions to get anything out of these negotiations.

Anyway, we're getting wildly off-topic now.
Old May 5, 2020, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Anonba
I would encourage everyone to go to the link below and sign the petition. Thank you.

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johns...it-time-to-act
Third time this has been brought up now. Its still change.org and still pointless. It stills should have been done on gov.uk
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 3:34 am

Third time this has been brought up now. Its still change.org and still pointless. It stills should have been done on gov.uk
Yes I would agree it would have been better if it had been done on gov.uk.
Old May 5, 2020, 3:54 am

Shame it wasn't, it's now at 148000ish signatures. That would have made a fair splash on .gov.uk - especially ahead of the select committee meeting. There is a .gov.uk one aimed at protecting the whole UK industry, not just BA staff. And that's what we're in danger of forgetting here. It's not just 12000 BA jobs at risk. It's 8000 at RR, 1200 at GE, thousands more at Airbus, Virgin, Airports around the country. But that was ignored by the person who set up this BA-only one. The whole industry needs supporting, not just BA staff. Although they are of course suffering the worst of it, because of the way they are being treated
Silver Fox, wrp96, Anonba and 1 others like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Anonba
Yes I would agree it would have been better if it had been done on gov.uk.
It is still possible to do that by the right person(s)
Old May 5, 2020, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Shame it wasn't, it's now at 148000ish signatures. That would have made a fair splash on .gov.uk - especially ahead of the select committee meeting. There is a .gov.uk one aimed at protecting the whole UK industry, not just BA staff. And that's what we're in danger of forgetting here. It's not just 12000 BA jobs at risk. It's 8000 at RR, 1200 at GE, thousands more at Airbus, Virgin, Airports around the country. But that was ignored by the person who set up this BA-only one. The whole industry needs supporting, not just BA staff. Although they are of course suffering the worst of it, because of the way they are being treated
This is where the country really needs to unite, otherwise we are entering an unprecedented era of economic feudalism that will make the Victorian era look like nirvana, and such that we have not experienced here before.
Anonba likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles
Alex must have been promised a substantial bonus if he can get this through. Given that he was just overlooked for the top job at IAG, which won't be opening up again for potentially a decade, is all this really worth the grief unless you can get another house out of it?
Another house in the portfolio can be a burden, employing additional management can significantly add to costs. Hotel suites are there for a reason.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by richardwft
Another house in the portfolio can be a burden, employing additional management can significantly add to costs. Hotel suites are there for a reason.
Cruz has lived in London for years - when he was running Vueling he used to commute from Kensington to Barcelona - so admittedly probably not a big believer in multiple houses.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:54 am
Suspended

VS Virgin Atlantic is leaving LGW Gatwick Airport, so a bit of a reason for BA to stay at Gatwick.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
Luis Gallego, the Iberia CEO.
Ouch. That must have come as a bit of a cold shower to AC!
Old May 5, 2020, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Especially as Alex was his boss once upon a time at Vueling I believe
Old May 5, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Maybe I missed something, but who is following WW at IAG?
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
Luis Gallego, the Iberia CEO.
Rumour has it - albeit with distinct shades of the MRD principle - that Alex told friends & family he really didn’t mind being passed over at all (and wouldn’t have even taken the job if offered )

“Permítame ofrecerte mis cálidas felicitaciones“ was what he messaged Luis ....... or at least words to that effect

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.