Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by JessicaB
£26K is still buttons though given how stressful the job is and how many nights away from home in different timezones would be required to earn it. The people who push the tea trollies up and down the train get about £35K I believe (very strong unions on the railways). I think if you had those kind of customer service skills you'd be mental to work for BA for a £13,500 basic.
The fundamental problem is that BA CC jobs have always been massively oversubscribed, unlike on the train. If BA paid £0 they would still have queues of people applying to be CC.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:43 am

£26K is still buttons though given how stressful the job is and how many nights away from home in different timezones would be required to earn it. The people who push the tea trollies up and down the train get about £35K I believe (very strong unions on the railways). I think if you had those kind of customer service skills you'd be mental to work for BA for a £13,500 basic.
They don't. Some might get there with overtime, but there are no Customer Host/CSA roles that pay £35k basic.

Most guards are somewhere near that and they're considered senior

Also, almost every railway job is also over subscribed but the pay is still very good. So that is no excuse for what BA is doing. It's down to poor unions
AdamUK and wrp96 like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:57 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I don't believe that figure is right at all. Base salary is around £18k and I think with allowances and commission this can be boosted to around £26k
Old May 5, 2020, 1:09 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by markzz2
The CSL Role may not be "needed" as you put it but ten years evidence that I have in writing is that it did result in better Customer Voice Scores (ie survey results/ customer comments etc). I have been a CSL for 25 years and I find my customers do value my input. It also allowed CSD's to spend more time with Premium Customers and while I am dealing with issues in one part of the aircraft they can deal with others. Also during breaks on long haul flights now there could be nobody with any experience on duty.

If that works for BA and the customer fine. I think they are diluting their product and service by dumping all the experience but then I would say that wouldn't I.
sadly customer voice scores don’t count for much these days and the mixed fleet model proves the no CSL model works for the BA of today and it’s customers. Diluting the product is a key management competency at that company.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
The fundamental problem is that BA CC jobs have always been massively oversubscribed, unlike on the train. If BA paid £0 they would still have queues of people applying to be CC.
By the same token, I suspect that the CEO job would be heavily oversubscribed so does that mean they can pay less money? I actually suspect the answer is yes, but we know it will never happen.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by richardwft
So what’s the forecast win for BA of cheaper labour in say 2023 & 2024?
The back-of-the-envelope calculations I was doing yesterday whilst on a jog put a saving of 4-6% of non-fuel costs. That could improve BA's ROIC from 15-16% to scratching 20%, which is where Aer Lingus is.

It's clear to see why Alex and IAG are so giddy with excitement with this. Morals, basic decency be damnded. Their stock is going to fly!
Old May 5, 2020, 1:41 am

I cannot wait for the day ESG becomes a proper valuation metric, and basic standard of living becomes a significant weight.

Whilst I am economically to the right, I do believe in a just society where the there's a balance between labour and capital, and IAG is truly one of the leaders in the UK (alongside supermarkets) to contribute to social dumping. Quite frankly, given I have a choice between three airlines on my most flown route, BA will be my last choice going forward.
AdamUK, Petrus, Silver Fox and 1 others like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
By the same token, I suspect that the CEO job would be heavily oversubscribed so does that mean they can pay less money? I actually suspect the answer is yes, but we know it will never happen.
Would it be heavily oversubscribed by candidates with the skills and experience to actually do the job though? Please understand that I'm not saying it is right what BA is doing.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Would it be heavily oversubscribed by candidates with the skills and experience to actually do the job though? Please understand that I'm not saying it is right what BA is doing.
Railway jobs are - and they're hardly jobs with poor pay and conditions....
Old May 5, 2020, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by BOH
I don't believe that figure is right at all. Base salary is around £18k and I think with allowances and commission this can be boosted to around £26k
Basic is more likely to be around the £26k mark
Old May 5, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, GHA Discovery Titanium, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BOH
For the train company I drive for (we used to be owned by a bearded millionaire) the catering staff are paid very well, around the 30k mark but with overtime it’s easy for them to make much more. Service managers on the train who I guess are the equivalent to a CSD or CSM are on 40k mon to fri only, no weekend work. There are lots of ex CC onboard and the company ran a targeted recruitment drive for ex Thomas Cook crew after that airline collapsed. My thoughts are with BA staff, those now looking for alternative employment it certainly wouldn’t hurt to keep an eye out on our website, we recruit onboard on a regular basis.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by I2sky
For the train company I drive for (we used to be owned by a bearded millionaire) the catering staff are paid very well, around the 30k mark but with overtime it’s easy for them to make much more. Service managers on the train who I guess are the equivalent to a CSD or CSM are on 40k mon to fri only, no weekend work. There are lots of ex CC onboard and the company ran a targeted recruitment drive for ex Thomas Cook crew after that airline collapsed. My thoughts are with BA staff, those now looking for alternative employment it certainly wouldn’t hurt to keep an eye out on our website, we recruit onboard on a regular basis.
And now you're owned by us. So, you know, maybe Beardy wasn't so bad after all
I2sky likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:20 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry
Basic is more likely to be around the £26k mark
There was an advert recently (3-4 months ago) for South Western Railway for on-board catering staff which talked about OTE of £26k. I guess it varies between operating companies but SWR is not really long distance as the extremities are Weymouth / Exeter but from experience it is rare there is any catering west of either Bournemouth or Salisbury, or after about 6pm out of Waterloo and when there is it is very sporadic. At the weekends a catering trolley is incredibly random and in my experience a real rarity and only between Southampton and London too, never west of this on Saturday or Sunday.

So wonder if this £26k is the lower end because it does not involve long shifts and no evening or weekend work?
Old May 5, 2020, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by BOH
There was an advert recently (3-4 months ago) for South Western Railway for on-board catering staff which talked about OTE of £26k. I guess it varies between operating companies but SWR is not really long distance as the extremities are Weymouth / Exeter but from experience it is rare there is any catering west of either Bournemouth or Salisbury, or after about 6pm out of Waterloo and when there is it is very sporadic. At the weekends a catering trolley is incredibly random and in my experience a real rarity and only between Southampton and London too, never west of this on Saturday or Sunday.

So wonder if this £26k is the lower end because it does not involve long shifts and no evening or weekend work?
Ours start on 28-30k now - with recent restructuring to bring Sundays inside the working week. Most in-house hosts don't get comission on their sales and any OTE is likely to simply reflect the more realistic salary when rostered Sundays are worked. Sundays are still outside the working week for a lot of frontline roles on the railway. That's a discussion for a completely different forum...
BOH likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
There's little point in comparing salaries with the railways. BA is wholly privatised and the railways operate in an entirely different way. Although run privately, they are operated on a fixed-term franchise that involves paymenttto the government and a lot of the fares are set by the government not the operator.

I do however agree that they have an effective union, although this is no doubt helped by a lot of people in the UK depending on the train to get to work and therefore they get very angry when the trains are off. Very few people depend on BA for their commute, and usage is also well below that of the railway.

The concept of low cost also does not exist on the railways, and there is very often no competition at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.