Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why won’t BA let you get a refund via the website?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why won’t BA let you get a refund via the website?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Well, my one data point I have is I had s cancellation notice last week and 3 days later I received this email with no intervention from myself:
From what I've read so far it sounds like BA Holidays are treated quite differently.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by JessicaB
They know that most people won't want to wait for hours to speak to a call centre, so will get the travel voucher. Other airlines offering vouchers are also offering an extra credit on top of the voucher to make it more attractive. It's certainly put a sour taste in my mouth and if there was a competitor on my route, I'd certainly be looking to use them now.
I successfully refunded quite an expensive booking today using the Java script disable hack in Chrome.
I would have chosen the voucher if BA offered to add something like 30% onto it, just saying.
If they had offered this from the outset they could have kept hold of £millions.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Good for you, that's not how my screen went. Already processed the chargeback.
Hawk777 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by golfmad
From what I've read so far it sounds like BA Holidays are treated quite differently.
yep BA holidays have to be treated differently as stricter rules and regulations with ABTA protection etc
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:27 am

The law that says package holidays must be refunded within 14 days is being suspended so no refunds? Uff. I have two family members with bookings, told them to call TODAY.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
Why are BA "awful"? Almost all airlines are encouraging you to take the voucher. United & Swiss have unlawfully decided not to offer refunds at all, even when they don't offer a transportation service - that is 'awful'. I think you need some perspective: if you ask for a refund, BA will give you one.
Yep, had a booking with UA, and only a voucher offered good for the next 12 months. Hopefully they are still in biz a year from now, and the virus is in check. Still haven't done anything with my April 15 SFO-LHR-SFO booking yet. Not in any hurry to cancel and work on getting the refund. But might just try the workaround solution this evening to see how it goes.

FWIW, Expedia sent me an email last week about a new on-line cancellation option. Took me all of 2 minutes to cancel my two bookings and get a confirmation email on the cancellations. No reason BA and all the airlines can't do the same.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by James91
The law that says package holidays must be refunded within 14 days is being suspended so no refunds? Uff. I have two family members with bookings, told them to call TODAY.
Have you a source for this and does this affect booking where BA have already indicated that they are to refund?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: Iberia Plus
On Friday I used the javascript trick to process the refund, I got the money today.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Have you a source for this and does this affect booking where BA have already indicated that they are to refund?
You easily could have googled it in 3 seconds like I did, but here you are.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9417261.html
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by nlclhc
On Friday I used the javascript trick to process the refund, I got the money today.
Thanks for a confirmation this has worked end to end.

Has anyone used the javascript trick on a cancelled avios (and 241) booking, and had all due cash, avios and voucher back?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Amb, Hilton Diamond
I've used it an Avios + 241 booking, it's currently saying "we are processing a cancellation for this booking". There's no reason why it shouldn't result in all the Avios, cash and the voucher being returned...
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:35 pm
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jackqu7
Thanks for a confirmation this has worked end to end.

Has anyone used the javascript trick on a cancelled avios (and 241) booking, and had all due cash, avios and voucher back?
Still waiting for all the above, but only did on Friday at 14:30..
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:37 am
Suspended

I sent off two refund requests through the Java method. Both at 10am on Monday.

The money for a straight forward cash booking came through today (Wednesday) at 3pm.

Another cash booking, that was upgraded using Avios has yet to be refunded.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
That's very encouraging. I successfully made four refund requests using the workaround this afternoon - once I'd worked out where in Chrome (never used it before) the JavaScript control was, it was very straightforward.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Does the type of card impact how long the refund takes (cardholders holding it etc and there processing fees) as I cancelled two bookings using the java method (yes even though I worm there not allowed to access my own bookings on our system as it's considered gross misconduct) one using my debit card(visa) which the refund is back and one using my credit card (mastercard) still not appeared

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.