Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why won’t BA let you get a refund via the website?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why won’t BA let you get a refund via the website?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold * Alliance Gold IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nlclhc
On Friday I used the javascript trick to process the refund, I got the money today.

I used the google chrome workaround to request the cash refund for my Helsinki flight and it was great 👍🏻 I have had the email to confirm it and check my MMB and they say it’s being processed, however this has now been 9 days and still no further confirmation or cash🤔🤔🤔🤔 hat to do next apart from stay in doors and wait😥😥😥
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Is current timetable of available flights a bait and switch? I fully understand we are involved in crystal ball gazing but it seems to me that once BA has my travel dollars for advertised flights on the website, I am at the mercy of BA in terms of cancellation in regards to vouchers. The real problem with vouchers is we have no idea how BA will price tickets post virus....pre virus pricing or post virus gouge the customer pricing.....and all one can do is apply the value of the voucher to the newly priced ticket. I want to give BA the benefit of the doubt but have a nagging feeling in my tummy.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by testycal
Is current timetable of available flights a bait and switch? I fully understand we are involved in crystal ball gazing but it seems to me that once BA has my travel dollars for advertised flights on the website, I am at the mercy of BA in terms of cancellation in regards to vouchers. The real problem with vouchers is we have no idea how BA will price tickets post virus....pre virus pricing or post virus gouge the customer pricing.....and all one can do is apply the value of the voucher to the newly priced ticket. I want to give BA the benefit of the doubt but have a nagging feeling in my tummy.
in terms of prices post crisis who knows. if you believe BA in particular will raise prices then book with someone else, i don't think anyone can give you a reassuring answer either way. if your flights get cancelled then definitely get a refund and not a voucher.

I suppose I could say i refer the honourable gent to the answer i gave to the same question a few days ago

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32208810-post384.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32233975-post452.html
testycal likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:49 pm

I used the JavaScript trick about 10 days ago to apply for a refund for my cancelled flight to Denver next month (miles + money booking). The funds were credit to my bank account this morning however the Avios points still haven't been credited back yet.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
nothing to see here :-)
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Apologies if this has been asked before but what's the default if you're flights are cancelled and you do nothing? Do they refund the money automatically by cash or vouchers or if you don't get in touch do you just lose your booking with nothing back?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
Apologies if this has been asked before but what's the default if you're flights are cancelled and you do nothing? Do they refund the money automatically by cash or vouchers or if you don't get in touch do you just lose your booking with nothing back?
Are all your flights cancelled, or is one direction canx but not the other?

If there are still live flights in the PNR you should use MMB or contact BA to rebook/cancel fully.

If all your flights are already cancelled then your PNR goes into limbo until you tell BA what you want to do. They won't do anything automatically; you would have to give them an instruction at some point, but before 12 months after purchase otherwise then the tkt expires.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Are all your flights cancelled, or is one direction canx but not the other?

If there are still live flights in the PNR you should use MMB or contact BA to rebook/cancel fully.

If all your flights are already cancelled then your PNR goes into limbo until you tell BA what you want to do. They won't do anything automatically; you would have to give them an instruction at some point, but before 12 months after purchase otherwise then the tkt expires.
In my case it's all flights are cancelled (only one on the booking anyway.). I don't want to rebook or get a voucher and didn't really want to jam the phone lines asking for a cash refund (and as I'm only blue for now I guess it'll take a while to get through!. Got a few days until my flight anyway so will wait until a bit closer so those that really need can get through.

Thanks for the explanation though it's always been something i wondered about!
Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
in normal circumstances, refund is automatic
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by essouira
in normal circumstances, refund is automatic
…only once you've told BA via MMB that's what you want. If you don't take any action to request a refund, BA take no action either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.