Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why won’t BA let you get a refund via the website?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why won’t BA let you get a refund via the website?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
If you have a consumer-friendly card (say, an Amex Platinum), I would strongly consider simply going back to the original transaction and marking it as fraud (that's essentially what it is). In the past, I've gotten charges credited back to me even while the investigation is pending. And some credit card brands tend to side with the consumer more often than not.

Maybe a huge wave of chargebacks against BA would jolt them into compliance.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
EK are worse... they're only offering a voucher if you cancel, even if they've cancelled the flight!

If you want a cash refund, you're charged the cancellation fee.
Them and Swiss while really nice airlines to fly are on my boycott list. BA at least is just making it difficult but not totally screwing people over
thegamebird likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
If you have a consumer-friendly card (say, an Amex Platinum), I would strongly consider simply going back to the original transaction and marking it as fraud (that's essentially what it is). In the past, I've gotten charges credited back to me even while the investigation is pending. And some credit card brands tend to side with the consumer more often than not.

Would this apply for bookings made several months ago or already started?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I do believe this is actually deliberate on part of BA. Very unfortunate, but I called and in past 3 days cancelled 7 bookings (I mean BA cancelled them but I wanted $$$ back not some voucher). It is really poor form from them tbh, and thats why I am taking my £6k back (and more to come I am sure).

Out of curiosity, for cancellations to come I am sure, how does BA calculate partial refund (I have LHR-MEX-SCL-MEX-LHR - with only LHR-MEX flown; all other segments seem cancelled - if i refund do i get back a big portion of the fare>?)
Crampedin13A and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Would this apply for bookings made several months ago or already started?
For old bookings, I would assume so. For in progress bookings, less sure.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
If you have a consumer-friendly card (say, an Amex Platinum), I would strongly consider simply going back to the original transaction and marking it as fraud (that's essentially what it is). ...

It's not fraud, nor is it non-compliance, because you can have a refund if you ask for one. A family member waited until her Easter holiday flights were cancelled, got through on the phone and cancelled three bookings for four pax for full refunds.

I doubt that any of us likes the additional hurdle that BA has put in place, especially given the amount of time and energy that has to be expended if you want the refund to which you're entitled. But, just as on most other occasions on which people accuse airlines of "fraud", that's just hyperbole.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:20 pm

I have already initiated a charge back against an airline (not BA) after they took longer than four weeks for them to issue an agreed upon refund. Personally I wouldn't claim it as fraud because while you might think it is the CC company likely does not and is more likely to deny your claim. Make a valid argument supported by evidence (terms and conditions, communications with company, etc.) and you are likely to have a more successful chargeback. I wouldn't be surprised if CC companies get tougher on chargebacks going forward so I would make the best and most airtight argument you can.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's not fraud, nor is it non-compliance, because you can have a refund if you ask for one. A family member waited until her Easter holiday flights were cancelled, got through on the phone and cancelled three bookings for four pax for full refunds.

I doubt that any of us likes the additional hurdle that BA has put in place, especially given the amount of time and energy that has to be expended if you want the refund to which you're entitled. But, just as on most other occasions on which people accuse airlines of "fraud", that's just hyperbole.
This is FT: anything an airline does which you don't like is automatically a FRAUD!, SCAM! or CON!. Any unhelpful or incorrect information is automatically LIES!
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:28 pm

The JavaScript work around didn’t work for me- keep getting errors. I hear BA is working on the issue, going to keep trying next week and hope they fix it so I don’t have to call them. I give credit to LNER, they made an online process available to get train tickets refunded and waived the cancellation fee given the current situation. Meanwhile, I have flights that were cancelled by BA and United and they are doing everything possible to not redeposit my avios/miles and refund the taxes. I don’t know why they aren’t making this easy for award tickets since they’re not even saving a lot of cash by refusing to refund them.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
EK are worse... they're only offering a voucher if you cancel, even if they've cancelled the flight!

If you want a cash refund, you're charged the cancellation fee.
Had a similar experience with MH today. Three flights cancelled by them, unable to apply for a refund online forcing me to call. After an hour on the phone with the agent going backwards and forwards to some 'back office' department they only allowed the refund as we had been travelling in to KUL with BA and then transferring on to MH domestic services. They needed my BA PNR to verify. Their original offer had been a free change just until the end of May...

Far from impressed and have found both MH and Thai Airways with whom we also have cancelled sectors, VERY hard to deal with. In comparison, BA, although we've had to call for cancellation refunds, have dealt with us swiftly, efficiently and no-questions asked.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL
After several false starts I got the javascript workaround to work for a booking on 24th that has been cancelled.. Well, I've had an email saying they are processing my refund. Fingers crossed it works ok as I have several bookings to deal with though the next one isn't for another week and I might not feel quite so guilty about ringing up by then.

While I am here I would like to say "thank you" for all the good advice and especially for the step by step instructions on the cash refund.
thegamebird likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Mrs Oscar (a mere Bronze) has just called to get a refund for her flight on Wednesday. The hold time wasn’t too bad - I’ve been kept longer in the Ockham stack for sure.

The agent was super friendly and helpful - all done in under a couple of minutes once she got through.

As CWS pointed out a few days ago, early evening is a less bad time to call.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
After several false starts I got the javascript workaround to work for a booking on 24th that has been cancelled.. Well, I've had an email saying they are processing my refund. Fingers crossed it works ok as I have several bookings to deal with though the next one isn't for another week and I might not feel quite so guilty about ringing up by then.

While I am here I would like to say "thank you" for all the good advice and especially for the step by step instructions on the cash refund.
I used the workaround shortly after our upcoming TLV flights were cancelled on the morning of 19th, the refund was credited to my card (BA Amex) evening of the 20th.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:35 pm

Was there ever an online refund option to handle BA cancellations? I've never had BA cancel a flight until now, though I sadly expect a few more to go before things improve.

Certainly there was the MMB cancel option, but I thought that was for cancelling based on ticket T&C, not for handling a BA cancellation.

If there never was an online way to handle refunds on BA initiated cancellation, it doesn't seem unreasonable for it to take a while for BA to add one, especially in what are tough times and given the reputation of their systems.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
Yes there was - when they cancelled my flight from Palermo a few weeks back the refund was automated and easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.