Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why won’t BA let you get a refund via the website?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.

Seems bizarre that this facility is not available online.

BA have cancelled my original flights to Shetland in May

The website only allows you to re-arrange time and date, the cancel defaults you to the voucher option

You have to ring to get a refund

Of course you can’t ring until T -72 hours

Has this deliberately been made difficult?
Crampedin13A and WorldLux like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Seems bizarre that this facility is not available on line

BA have cancelled my original flights to Shetland in May

The website only allows you to re-arrange time and date, the cancel defaults you to the voucher option

You have to ring to get a refund

Of course you can’t ring until T -72 hours

I find it annoying as well.

BA.com should offer more options (incl. refunds as you say) which would make the phone lines less busy.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by allturnleft
I think it is highly likely that it is deliberate. Airlines are desperate for cash flow at the moment. Many reports of other airlines doing the same thing. I've had personal experience with Singapore Airlines. SWISS are stating that they will refuse refunds at the moment and that you cannot even apply until December. Apparently inviting you to take it up with the regulator if you're not happy...
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
See the wiki in the main Covid-19 rebooking thread for the two workarounds to this - an online form for refunds and a Java bodge.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:48 am
Suspended

The official line is to say not been done deliberately and being worked. I'm not big into IT but not sure why it takes 4 days to work on what to me anyway seems like something easy to sort

Last edited by Hawk777; Mar 22, 2020 at 10:35 am
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
I haven't been in the position to request a refund yet, but I saw this on another web forum earlier today. I can't vouch for it personally, but the post has had some replies saying that it had worked:

Edit - beaten to it by a couple of poster!

Ok so whats been happening is that BA have been attempting to direct you to a travel voucher page, there IS a work around, and there's a work around with a couple of extra steps if your flight has already been cancelled. Note that if your flight has already been cancelled you can get a full refund, you dont need to accept a travel voucher, but they keep trying to shepherd you to that page.

This is using google chrome:
  1. From your MMB page where the flight is shown as cancelled go into your browser's settings and disable JavaScript.
  2. Click on the cancel and refund button.
  3. Confirm that you now see the correct cash refund form and not the voucher refund form.
  4. Turn JavaScript back on in your browser settings.
  5. Click on the "Yes" radio button to select that you are a person in the booking.
  6. When nothing happens press "Enter" on your keyboard. (This works in Firefox and Chrome)
  7. The page refreshes and shows an error at the top of the page "email address invalid"
  8. Click on the "Yes" radio button again and this time it will allow you to select the name of the traveller and complete the rest of the form
Its worth noting that for me that the final step didnt work, so I re-enabled java, refreshed the page, and the form to fill out appeared.

I believe that perhaps steps 1-5 are the only ones required if your flight hasnt been cancelled yet, but beware that they may not give you a full refund in that case. The best advice is to wait until 72 hours before your flight is due to leave to maximise the possibility of a cancellation.

Last edited by peter h; Mar 22, 2020 at 9:55 am Reason: too slow!
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
See the wiki in the main Covid-19 rebooking thread for the two workarounds to this - an online form for refunds and a Java bodge.
Thanks CWS

Found the online form

Ill see if it works
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's not just BA that need to up their game on refunds / cancellations / changes etc on-line

I have an AA booking with BA flights that got changed and those flight changes aren't ideal. If I could do the changes on line - or at least request them - that would free up the phone lines. Someone in a back office or even at home could just look at them then approve or deny and start the process again rather putting 20 options to a phone agent.

AY does let you rechedule on-line.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:10 am

What the airlines are doing is outrageous. Screw their cashflow, what about my cashflow? I can't have funds tied up that aren't being used because THEY want them. Plus who even knows who will be in existence to use a voucher by the end of this. Give me a break.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Hopefully consumers remember which airlines put the screws to them and which ones were customer friendly when this all over
dlaue likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I don’t know the details of any airline’s current liquidity position, but this tips firmly into the unreasonable behaviour space, even in the current situation IMO. I think ‘we’ are prepared to give airlines a lot of slack atm, but the tide will turn quickly if they resort to s***ty tactics.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:58 am

Slightly o/t I guess, but if eBookers can do this (and more...see below) than other for 'business' considerations, I can see no reason why BA can't.

I have a (non refundable) hotel booking in Vietnam early next month, made through eBookers.

Yesterday, unprompted, they sent me an email and said they had been working with hotels and some had agreed to refund booking in full (even as in my case) I had booked on a no-refund basis.

To take advantage of this there was a large 'click here' button, which took me to a page which had a single button to press to acknowledge I wanted to do this and quoting the refund amount.

​​​​​​Thank you and we'll done eBookers.

Last edited by Whyone; Mar 22, 2020 at 12:43 pm
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Hopefully consumers remember which airlines put the screws to them and which ones were customer friendly when this all over
I'm sure they will.

And then they will book with the one that's now offering the lowest fare.

'Twas ever thus.
dhacker, Dan72, dlaue and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:34 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by krispy84
I don’t know the details of any airline’s current liquidity position, but this tips firmly into the unreasonable behaviour space, even in the current situation IMO. I think ‘we’ are prepared to give airlines a lot of slack atm, but the tide will turn quickly if they resort to s***ty tactics.
EK are worse... they're only offering a voucher if you cancel, even if they've cancelled the flight!

If you want a cash refund, you're charged the cancellation fee.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by peter h
I haven't been in the position to request a refund yet, but I saw this on another web forum earlier today. I can't vouch for it personally, but the post has had some replies saying that it had worked:

Edit - beaten to it by a couple of poster!
Those instructions were posted originally by Willmatt over on the Covid-19 forum as referenced by C-W-S. We all owe Willmatt.
willmatt and Wembleygal like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.