Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long for refunds to be processed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Also "No-shows" can be cleared down by contact centre agents, it's a known feature of many bookings. Is this an OTA booking perhaps? They too can get the green light to clear no-show.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Also "No-shows" can be cleared down by contact centre agents, it's a known feature of many bookings. Is this an OTA booking perhaps? They too can get the green light to clear no-show.
We can check with another team when someone applied for a voucher which is probably most useful thing for the op to ask for. This would prove if they applied for the voucher before departure.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Confus
Something is not quite right here, maybe it’s your understanding/terminology?
A FTV is ‘issued’ immediately - to the extent that it’s never actually ‘issued’ at all, it’s just your original booking that is suspended for use later. You will have access to it immediately if you want to use it, a quick call will sort that out.
Some FTVs are converted to e-vouchers and are indeed ‘issued’. But as this is entirely at BA’s discretion, and at no point did they promise one, so you don’t really have cause for complaint if it takes a while to get to you.
And the third possible situation is the reissue of a ticket ‘paid for’ by FTV... which might indeed take 6.5 weeks, but should never exceed flight departure date. We’ve seen cases where BA has cut it fine, but I don’t remember seeing any reports of BA not actually getting to it in time.
The email I got (ca. 6 weeks after cancelling my flight) was:

Booking Reference: XXXXXX

Dear CKBA,
Your future travel voucher is here. Thank you for your patience while we processed your application.
Voucher code(s)
You can use this voucher to pay or part-pay for a new booking. We'll give you another voucher if you don't use its full value. Your voucher has the same value as your original booking.
Flights or holidays booked using your voucher must be completed by 30 April 2022.
How to use your voucher
Simply call us when you're ready to book a flight or holiday, tell us your voucher code(s) and we'll complete your booking.

i) Note no Voucher Code was provided in this email (or any other).
ii) The original booking was made direct with BA.
iii) When I tried to use it (I have the ticket# etc etc) BA said they would convert it to a 'mega-voucher' (with no prompting/asking) - but found they couldn't since the return was flagged as a no-show - at least immediately, and had to send it to the back office.
Whatever the mechanics or procedures, the net result at the moment is 'computer says no'... .

**** Latest **** (02/11/2020)
Sorted. Voucher issued with new ticket#

Last edited by CKBA; Nov 2, 2020 at 11:47 am
Old Nov 2, 2020, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Another data point.... six weeks from asking to a refund appearing.

LHR SOF J return for November for two people
Majority cash (CC) plus an e-voucher
Flight cancelled in August. I rang 19 September to get a refund.
Offered either a new voucher and immediate cash refund or a full refund via "the back office"
Opted for the latter.
Chased 30 Oct to be told the refund had gone to the CC (Amex) on 27 Oct.
Refund did indeed appear that day (30th).
[[Alas only half the amount has landed on the CC so will now be chasing Amex.]]
Old Nov 3, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Flights cancelled in September by BA not refunded

Booking made up of eVoucher & credit card payment. According to notes on my booking, the refunds team “processed a refund”, which has not been received. Credit card company said BA haven’t processed anything and thus I ping pong round and round in circles.

This was escalated a while back to “escalations” who didn’t appear to do anything. Ongoing cases with Customer Relations who just "sends messages to the refunds team" (after initially closing a case saying "we don't deal with refunds)" . Customer Relations just repeat “Refunds team have dealt with this” yet I am no further forward.

To add insult, frustration and confusion, Twitter Team stated that the card has been refunded but it hasn’t.

Any feasible suggestions on how to find somebody in BA who knows what’s going on?

Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by xvirginx
Booking made up of eVoucher & credit card payment. According to notes on my booking, the refunds team “processed a refund”, which has not been received. Credit card company said BA haven’t processed anything and thus I ping pong round and round in circles.

This was escalated a while back to “escalations” who didn’t appear to do anything. Ongoing cases with Customer Relations who just "sends messages to the refunds team" (after initially closing a case saying "we don't deal with refunds)" . Customer Relations just repeat “Refunds team have dealt with this” yet I am no further forward.

To add insult, frustration and confusion, Twitter Team stated that the card has been refunded but it hasn’t.

Any feasible suggestions on how to find somebody in BA who knows what’s going on?

Thanks
I have no suggestions for you other than to contact your credit card company and get the ball rolling that way.

Today is the 5th month anniversary of my flight being cancelled, SJC-LHR-SJC. The outbound was refunded fairly quickly but the inbound is a different matter due to an upgrade to 1st (2-4-1 certificate). I've called many times, been escalated, waited 4 weeks, called again, been escalated, waited 2 weeks, called again, been escalated, told to wait 1 week, rinse and repeat. Even the BaRefundHelper could not unwind this mess.

I got up at 4 am today to talk to someone in an office, got through to a manager of some sort and was told it had to be escalated (again) and would take 4 weeks. Well, I have been at this crossroad before and decided to take a different path. I called Chase to dispute and should receive the credit in a week. I have a bit more confidence that they will do as they stated; I have no confidence that BA has any intention of processing my refund.

I wish you all the best.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by JayeJ
I have no suggestions for you other than to contact your credit card company and get the ball rolling that way.

Today is the 5th month anniversary of my flight being cancelled, SJC-LHR-SJC. The outbound was refunded fairly quickly but the inbound is a different matter due to an upgrade to 1st (2-4-1 certificate). I've called many times, been escalated, waited 4 weeks, called again, been escalated, waited 2 weeks, called again, been escalated, told to wait 1 week, rinse and repeat. Even the BaRefundHelper could not unwind this mess.

I got up at 4 am today to talk to someone in an office, got through to a manager of some sort and was told it had to be escalated (again) and would take 4 weeks. Well, I have been at this crossroad before and decided to take a different path. I called Chase to dispute and should receive the credit in a week. I have a bit more confidence that they will do as they stated; I have no confidence that BA has any intention of processing my refund.

I wish you all the best.
Thanks. Tomorrow I will just get my credit card company to deal with it. This has taken an inordinate amount of time from everybody involved and it didn't need to be this way.
Good luck to you too. I hope you reach a resolution too.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by BA refund helper
Hi Mark... i did reply to your PM on this yesterday as 4mths is too long to wait, so please check that?
Thanks
​​​BA Refund Helper
Thanks to BA Refund Helper for refund helping.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I spoke to BA on 16th October to cancel 6 bookings. Two were simple cash bookings and I had the refunds back on my credit cards within 2 - 3 days. Two were Avios only bookings and one set of Avios were refunded same day with the other the following day. I am still waiting for the other two. One was a part-flown ticket, and one was a ticket where I'd UUA. Although the Avios were refunded immediately for the UUA flight I was told to expect the cash portion of the two refunds to take 7 - 10 business days, but when I chased on Monday I was told it would be up to a further two weeks. Given some of the horror stories on here I will be counting myself lucky if I get the refund this side of Christmas!

I really don't understand why everything needs to be convoluted and complex and requires so much manual intervention. It really should be possible to cancel / refund Avios only bookings online. You shouldn't have to ring up for that. The same goes for cash only bookings. I have just had notice that my daughter's flights at Christmas have been cancelled - but I have to phone up to get a refund. It's a simple cash booking that, in an ideal world, I should be able to cancel and request a refund online. When I rang up BA have a request to only remain on hold if you're flying in the next 72 hours. I get that, but when you have to wait what is an unreasonable amount of time to get your money back is it any wonder people want to get the ball rolling? If I wait until mid-December to call up then there's a good chance I won't see the money until Easter whereas if I call now there's a remote chance I will get it back this year.

I really wish BA could do something to improve their IT (and working in IT myself I know that's a big ask) but when I consider a lot of the functionality that AA has available on their website it's streets ahead of BA. I rarely need to speak to anyone at AA, both in terms of the original booking and also when it comes to schedule changes, rebooking, or requesting refunds. All of my refunds have been processed and back on my card within 7 days, having been cancelled by me online and the refund request submitted online. As it happened, I did need to speak to them yesterday because of an issue changing flights online but I simply put the new itinerary on hold, rang AA and the agent had the original booking cancelled, my new on-hold reservation ticketed, and the fare difference credited to a voucher within a couple of minutes. If only BA could manage something like that!
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I have 3 tickets which I cancelled over a month ago. Phoned twice to chase up e-vouchers. Still nothing. GGL Line are perfectly pleasant and sound helpful enough ...... but then nothing happens. In the case of a fourth cancellation - I have the refund - but only the cash element and not the substantial value of the voucher that was used for part-payment. BA now claim they have refunded the full value. My loyalty to the brand is fading fast and I'm beginning to feel that there is a strategy of simply hanging onto their customer's money
dylanks likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I really don't understand why everything needs to be convoluted and complex and requires so much manual intervention. It really should be possible to cancel / refund Avios only bookings online. You shouldn't have to ring up for that. The same goes for cash only bookings.
There were quite a few people who used the online facility for FTV and swore blind they had requested cash, not a refund, so you can put all the warnings you like on the screen, people tend to press them buttons. I very much doubt there are many travellers who know, let alone understand, the difference between Involuntary Refund Calculations and Voluntary Refund Calculations, but quite a good wadge of passengers are actually in the Voluntary space. And mostly they would regard themselves as involuntarily unable to fly.
jerry a. laska, cbagent and Anonba like this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by pjh981
I have 3 tickets which I cancelled over a month ago. Phoned twice to chase up e-vouchers. Still nothing. GGL Line are perfectly pleasant and sound helpful enough ...... but then nothing happens. In the case of a fourth cancellation - I have the refund - but only the cash element and not the substantial value of the voucher that was used for part-payment. BA now claim they have refunded the full value. My loyalty to the brand is fading fast and I'm beginning to feel that there is a strategy of simply hanging onto their customer's money
I have two smaller refunds (sub £300 that I’ve been waiting on since July). Larger refund requests made at the same time took about 6 weeks. I did have one very simple refund in October that was processed in 3 days.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by JayeJ

I wish you all the best.
Exactly the same. After waiting 6 weeks and 3 months for two refunds gave up waiting and just raised them as disputes on Amex. Within minutes Amex had credited my account, and BA followed suit one day later with identical credits. I do feel a bit sorry for BA in that it will now take them 6 weeks to get their money back from Amex.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 1:24 am

They'll tell you anything to get you off the 'phone line. As nice as everybody has been, they basically can't help.

The worst insult for me now is that Customer Relations just reply and say "We don't deal with refund issues". I say it's a complaint and want their "Final Response Letter" and they refuse and just say call "0800 xxxxx" They are becoming a joke.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I rang the Gold line yesterday to chase up a sizeable refund I’ve been waiting more than a month for. I was told it could take up to another month to get the money because there aren’t enough staff to process the backlog. It’s reassuring to know I could get the money more or less straight away through the Amex dispute process but I’d rather get it sorted out through the normal channels. I have a certain amount of sympathy for BA given the current market challenges, but they have a lot of my cash already tied up in future bookings so it doesn’t seem unreasonable to expect them to process what they owe me in a reasonable timeframe...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.