Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:11 am

Morning all

I'm trying to get a refund for a booking with Avios plus 2-4-1 Amex voucher for flights that are cancelled. I've called (and called and called) but can't get any further than a recorded message telling me to try later.

So, what happens if I'm still trying when the flight should have departed? Have I got a 'grace period' to get my refund? Not sure what rules apply for a non-cash fare.

And to add to the joy, I shall have to do the same again when next month's flights cancel :-)

Thanks
GG
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
I appreciate this is months away and am going to sit on it for a while to see how things shake out, but if i do need to call, who should i ring AA or BA?
If your ticket number begins 001, you call AA. If your ticket number begins 125, you call BA. However, if you booked with any other type of Travel Agent (not BA or AA direct), you call the Travel Agent - good luck with that!

Your post says you booked on the BA website, so you should be calling BA only. If they tell you otherwise, the agent is either mistaken or incompetent.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by GetawayGertie
Morning all

I'm trying to get a refund for a booking with Avios plus 2-4-1 Amex voucher for flights that are cancelled. I've called (and called and called) but can't get any further than a recorded message telling me to try later.

So, what happens if I'm still trying when the flight should have departed? Have I got a 'grace period' to get my refund? Not sure what rules apply for a non-cash fare.

And to add to the joy, I shall have to do the same again when next month's flights cancel :-)

Thanks
GG
Do you happen to be calling from a Three mobile? Whenever I have called recently from my Three mobile I get cut off at some point during the recorded messages. I found that if you call from Skype (and that should be free to certain numbers, the Gold number certainly is free) then you get through and don't get cut off. A few people further up this thread have reported this working for them too.

As far as I am aware, you are still entitled to your cash refund for a period after the flight was meant to happen, the length of this period I am not sure but I am sure that it is long enough to not worry about at the moment. I expect somebody will be able to confirm the length period.

Good luck!
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Do you happen to be calling from a Three mobile? Whenever I have called recently from my Three mobile I get cut off at some point during the recorded messages. I found that if you call from Skype (and that should be free to certain numbers, the Gold number certainly is free) then you get through and don't get cut off. A few people further up this thread have reported this working for them too.

Thanks for the quick reply Wilsnunn. Yes, it's a Three mobile but I have also tried Skype - no luck there either. Unfortunately I'm only a Silver and the Silver line directs me back to the main number ....

GG

Last edited by GetawayGertie; Apr 7, 2020 at 2:19 am Reason: Mistyping
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
I booked 2 return flights to PHX departing Oct 7th on the BA website, but flying on AA195. I checked the booking on the AA website and it shows the flight is running and that i am booked on it. October 7th is the first day that the PHX flight has been reinstated.
BA have sent me an email stating the flight is cancelled.
I phoned BA and they have stated that the flight is cancelled, they also confirmed that the afternoon flight BA289 is running. I asked that if necessary could i be moved onto that, but they have said i would have to ring AA, even though i made the booking on their website.
I appreciate this is months away and am going to sit on it for a while to see how things shake out, but if i do need to call, who should i ring AA or BA?
If you are booked on AA195, if it is cancelled, and if you are booked on a BA issued ticket, I don't see any issue for BA to rebook you on BA289 if that's is still running. I don't see why the agent would need to call AA in those circumstances? They should be able just to rebook you on to the BA service.

Looking on expertflyer AA195 is still showing as running on 7 October. It is also still showing for sale on aa.com and ba.com for sale so I am not convinced it is cancelled - so perhaps that is causing the problem?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn

As far as I am aware, you are still entitled to your cash refund for a period after the flight was meant to happen, the length of this period I am not sure but I am sure that it is long enough to not worry about at the moment. I expect somebody will be able to confirm the length period.

Good luck!
6 years I believe and yep, use Skype.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:19 am

Thanks for the quick reply Wilsnunn. Yes, it's a Three mobile but I have also tried Skype - no luck there either. Unfortunately I'm only a Silver and the Silver line directs me back to the main number ....

GG
How about 0800 727 800 ?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Thank you for the quick response, its a 125 ticket, so i will leave it a while and phone BA if necessary
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus

GG
I believe that at the moment all calls are being routed into one call queue due to massive reduction in capacity (all Indian and South African call centres closed) so the number that you call shouldn't matter.

I have just called and it seems to be working for me.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by flashware
How about 0800 727 800 ?
Yes that's the one I'm trying - I can get through and navigate through the options to 'if you booked with Avios', then get a recorded message saying try again.

I'll just keep trying I guess, I'd just be reassured if I knew how long I've got before I lose the chance of a refund.

GG
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:02 am

6 years I believe and yep, use Skype.
Yes that's the one I'm trying - I can get through and navigate through the options to 'if you booked with Avios', then get a recorded message saying try again.

I'll just keep trying I guess, I'd just be reassured if I knew how long I've got before I lose the chance of a refund.

GG
I think that you need not worry about the amount of time before you lose the option of a refund at the moment. Give it a try again this afternoon.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
If you are booked on AA195, if it is cancelled, and if you are booked on a BA issued ticket, I don't see any issue for BA to rebook you on BA289 if that's is still running. I don't see why the agent would need to call AA in those circumstances? They should be able just to rebook you on to the BA service.

Looking on expertflyer AA195 is still showing as running on 7 October. It is also still showing for sale on aa.com and ba.com for sale so I am not convinced it is cancelled - so perhaps that is causing the problem?
Hasn't there been an issue in the past where periodic schedule updates between Sabre (AA) and Amadeus (BA) cause the codeshare linkages to go 'walkies' for a short while and thus the flight doesn't immediately show up in BA's itinerary? I think I recall having read something to this effect on FT in the past.

Potentially, if the BA1526 codeshare number dropped out of the system briefly after a recent update it might trigger an automatic cancellation email?

If AA's system still shows the passenger as booked to fly then BA's database should re-build the entry at some point in the next few days but probably worth checking both sites and calling BA if nothing reappears in MMB soon.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:24 am

How about 0800 727 800 ?
What is the gold number people have been using to reach someone? I am trying with this number above and I cannot get to anyone, it hangs up on me.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
Hasn't there been an issue in the past where periodic schedule updates between Sabre (AA) and Amadeus (BA) cause the codeshare linkages to go 'walkies' for a short while and thus the flight doesn't immediately show up in BA's itinerary? I think I recall having read something to this effect on FT in the past.

Potentially, if the BA1526 codeshare number dropped out of the system briefly after a recent update it might trigger an automatic cancellation email?

If AA's system still shows the passenger as booked to fly then BA's database should re-build the entry at some point in the next few days but probably worth checking both sites and calling BA if nothing reappears in MMB soon.
No I don't think it is to do with that. I think it is because BA are now sending out emails prior to flights actually being cancelled. I have received one today for example.

Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Morning all

Thanks
GG
Have you tried sending a PM to BA refund helper. Details are on the thread 'How long for refunds to be processed'. He/she has helped myself and several others to get refunds that have been stuck in the system and you don't have to hang on the phone!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.