Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 6:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Safifi
The contention that BA was legitimate in denying the voucher because a portion was flown is INCORRECT if referring to the BOS-LHR flight which is still scheduled, not taken. If it was denied on the basis of the outward leg having been flown, is this rejection correct.

Is the person who rejected my application for a refund correct in using the (rejected) voucher application as the pretext to do so? Again I reiterate that I applied for the refund First, and the voucher was rejected anyway.
Thank you, I think we are getting somewhere now. So the FTV is only allowed if you have not flown a single sector on the booking, and so the moment you got on the first sector, presumably Dubai to London and the on to Boston, you have not been eligible for an FTV. It was and is explained in the guidance, which you will find here:
ba.com/confidence.
Your six options are
1) continue to LHR, since it appears to be operating, find another airline / route and sorting yourself out rather than using BA. You will get a refund on LHR-DXB only, and depending on the ticket specifics this is typically not a lot of money given that most of the ticket has been flown, considering this a return ticket. So if we do the maths this is likely to be the least attractive option given that a single ticket from London to Dubai won't be cheap.
2) turn up at BOS, or call BA the day before travel, and see if they can reroute you via another airline.
3) ask BA to rebook you for later this year (probably the best value). Since LHR-DXB is cancelled then this rebooking from Boston to Dubai will be free of charge up to 1 year from buying the ticket originally.
4) same as point 3 but choose another location in the Middle East instead of DXB, AUH in other words.
5) apply for an involuntary refund, which should be for the entire BOS-DXB sector. In theory this is half the cost of the original return ticket from Dubai to Boston, however you can perhaps assume it will be in the 40% to 60% of what you originally spent. The exact amount depends on fare rules and it is complicated.
6) Ask BA to take you off the BOS-LHR service but say you will revert later when the situation is clearer as to refund/rebooking options.

There may be further options depending on what suits you most. However it's always good, before talking to BA to know what you want most. However: big point here, if you have now asked for a retund then that will go off to refunds and cannot be reversed. Generally BA only allow one change when things go wrong, you can't change your mind. If you did ask for a refund of the unflown routes then after 2 weeks waiting then let us know, there is an escalation route open to you.

In essence a lot depends on whether you want to fly now or later, but the FTV is what the English call a red herring - it was never a valid option for you and so it has distracted you and everyone else from a proper solution.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:33 am

Still some assumptions are not correct

Thank you for presenting me with the 6 options. However 5he first ones will not work as the airport in Dubai is CLOSED and there are no commercial flights allowed to any airport in the country NOR yo any other part of the Middle East save Doha which is not an option because of the boycott.

My request for a refund on the unused portion of the ticket was denied using the FTV as the Excuse, despite the FTV being denied as well! Who should bear liability for this serial error and misinformation?
Old May 16, 2020, 7:52 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thank you for presenting me with the 6 options. However 5he first ones will not work as the airport in Dubai is CLOSED and there are no commercial flights allowed to any airport in the country NOR yo any other part of the Middle East save Doha which is not an option because of the boycott.

My request for a refund on the unused portion of the ticket was denied using the FTV as the Excuse, despite the FTV being denied as well! Who should bear liability for this serial error and misinformation?
It does appear that unfortunately you have got stuck in the middle of something of an administrative nightmare with the request for voucher - which isn’t possible - now stopping other options. Quite what state your ticket is now in is anyone’s guess.

At this stage I’d be less worried about liability and more about getting a resolution.

What seems to be key is what you want to do. Do you want to try and make your way closer to home, and sit it out in a hotel in London until there are suitable flights, or would you prefer to stay in Boston and wait?

If it’s London, in view of the potential pending quarantine you would probably be best advised to agree a flight with BA as soon as possible. Once you reach London that must make it more likely you’ll end up on either a scheduled or repatriation flight to the Middle East compared to trying to get one from the US.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well as I say, the FTV is a red herring, but if your flight is cancelled you have right in law to a refund or the rebooking. The rules on FTV were and are explained on the link that I provided to you earlier, which is in turn linked from BA's home page so I wouldn't waste your energy on the misinformation aspect, it really won't help you.

Depending on how you left it with your previous conversation with BA, you don't want to be deemed a "no show" on BOS-LHR, so as I say a lot depends on what you want, to defer travel or to get the Involuntary Refund. If you want that refund then unless you already know the answer, you need to ensure it is for all of BOS-LHR-DXB, and not just LHR-DXB. You have until about an hour before departure of BOS-LHR to ensure you are offloaded from that service, if you are unsure of that detail. Anyway, assuming BA treat this as an Involuntary Refund it is likely to be held up for many weeks (it was a slow process even 6 months ago), so don't hesitate to revert here after about 2 weeks. You should get around half of the original ticket fare back depending on details. If you want to return to Dubai as soon as the frontiers open then instead you don't want the Involuntary Refund, you best offload yourself from BOS-LHR and say you will contact BA again when the situation is clear. You then need to keep the 125 ticket number and PNR safe so you can efficiently process this at a later date.
KARFA likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
It does appear that unfortunately you have got stuck in the middle of something of an administrative nightmare with the request for voucher - which isn’t possible - now stopping other options. Quite what state your ticket is now in is anyone’s guess.

What seems to be key here is what you want to do. Do you want to try and make your way closer to home, and sit it out in a hotel in London until there are suitable flights, or would you prefer to stay in Boston and wait?

If it’s London, in view of the potential pending quarantine you would probably be best advised to agree a flight with BA as soon as possible. Once you reach London that must make it more likely you’ll end up on either a scheduled or repatriation flight compared to trying to get one from the US.
The option to fly to London and wait out the end of the flight lockdown isn't viable as there are NO INDICATIONS of when that woukd be. Would You pay for a hotel in L9ndon for an indefinite period if you were in my place?

You asked about my preference. My preferred option is to get the ticket refunded, which is what I applied for but been denied. My question is did the person who handled my application for refund act correctly or incorrectly? Moving it to arbitration (as that person suggested) entails a cost on my part, which you will agree is entirely Unfair!

The second preference if all else fails is to leave the ticket for use later when things have normalized somewhat. Ots not possible to reach Dubai anyway now. The question then is how long would the ricket remain valid for and if extendable considering the cancelation and unprecedented situation prevailing today? Would there be a penalty to rebook the flight? Would there be a fare difference? If yes to the last 2, then how fair is that and should I just insist on tefund even via arbitration?
Old May 16, 2020, 8:08 am

The second preference if all else fails is to leave the ticket for use later when things have normalized somewhat. Ots not possible to reach Dubai anyway now. The question then is how long would the ricket remain valid for and if extendable considering the cancelation and unprecedented situation prevailing today? Would there be a penalty to rebook the flight? Would there be a fare difference? If yes to the last 2, then how fair is that and should I just insist on tefund even via arbitration?
BA's policy has changed a lot since the pandemic started, but at the moment the policy is that you can be rebooked to any future service up to 1 year after you bought the ticket. No fare difference or penalty should be levied from you. This could change again, but that is what it is now.

What you need to find out is what the status of the ticket is right now: has it been sent for Involuntary Refund? It sounds like it hasn't, in which case you can rebook. If you actually do want the Involuntary Refund, then just call up and ask for it to be queued for the Refund. My advice would be to know what you want, and then ask for it clearly. To answer your question, in law you can have a refund if your flight is cancelled,any flight in the remaining booking, and you may need to call again if that hasn't happened. In your case that would be BOS-LHR-DXB, about half the ticket cost.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA's policy has changed a lot since the pandemic started, but at the moment the policy is that you can be rebooked to any future service up to 1 year after you bought the ticket. No fare difference or penalty should be levied from you. This could change again, but that is what it is now.

What you need to find out is what the status of the ticket is right now: has it been sent for Involuntary Refund? It sounds like it hasn't, in which case you can rebook. If you actually do want the Involuntary Refund, then just call up and ask for it to be queued for the Refund. My advice would be to know what you want, and then ask for it clearly. To answer your question, in law you can have a refund if your flight is cancelled,any flight in the remaining booking, and you may need to call again if that hasn't happened. In your case that would be BOS-LHR-DXB, about half the ticket cost.
Although reports on here have been that where only the return portion of the ticket has been refunded it seems to come in at around 40%, of course there's no hard and fast rule on how it's calculated.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:17 am

BA's policy has changed a lot since the pandemic started, but at the moment the policy is that you can be rebooked to any future service up to 1 year after you bought the ticket. No fare difference. This could change again, but that is what it is now.

Thanks. I intend to follow your advice. Having said that, what happens if I am UNABLE to reach a person at BA given my failed efforts to do so in the past??

Would BA automatically remove the passenger from an operating flight BOS-LHR if the obward flight is cancelled? The booking did Not allow for a stopover in London, so presumably this should flag the inability of the passenger to take the whole journey?

Yes the refund is not under process as it was STYMIED by the person who dealt with it and used erroneous info to deny my application. Do I have an option to appeal his uninformed decision or only via a cost-based Arbitration?
Old May 16, 2020, 8:19 am
Suspended

Thanks. I intend to follow your advice. Having said that, what happens if I am UNABLE to reach a person at BA given my failed efforts to do so in the past??

Would BA automatically remove the passenger from an operating flight BOS-LHR if the obward flight is cancelled? The booking did Not allow for a stopover in London, so presumably this should flag the inability of the passenger to take the whole journey?

Yes the refund is not under process as it was STYMIED by the person who dealt with it and used erroneous info to deny my application. Do I have an option to appeal his uninformed decision or only via a cost-based Arbitration?
you should be able to teach BA very easily especially after around 6-7pm UK time (so 3hours from now) the call queues are very very low at these times at the moment. Best option would be use Skype to make the call
Old May 16, 2020, 8:26 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The option to fly to London and wait out the end of the flight lockdown isn't viable as there are NO INDICATIONS of when that woukd be. Would You pay for a hotel in L9ndon for an indefinite period if you were in my place?
EC261 Duty of Care will still apply, so BA would be responsible for your hotel cost (although you may have to claim it back). Your travel insurance may also be an option. The bigger difficulty is finding a hotel in London that’s open.

You asked about my preference. My preferred option is to get the ticket refunded, which is what I applied for but been denied. My question is did the person who handled my application for refund act correctly or incorrectly? Moving it to arbitration (as that person suggested) entails a cost on my part, which you will agree is entirely Unfair!
We really are not going to be able to say who’s acted correctly or not, and frankly it’s not going to help you to argue the point at this stage anyway. The world isn’t normal right now and there are some things you just need to let go.

Arbitration is likely to be CEDR in the UK and that does not cost you anything - BA has to pay the fees unless your case is particularly vexatious. But it’s also going to take weeks, so I’m not sure it’s viable.

You can take the refund, but if you do so you should be aware that BA’s liability for anything else - onward flights, hotel accommodation, meals - will definitely stop at the point you request it because they will have discharged their responsibilities under EC261. You could end up far worse off taking that option compared to waiting for routes to re-start.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:30 am

You should get through in a few hours, the queues are not actually very long at the moment. Ring either the UK number or later (after 20hrs UK time) on the USA number, both can be found via this link.
ba.com/contact
If you want my honest answer to the appeal question, I have a doctorate in linguistics, I have worked in the field of linguistics for nearly 40 years, and I struggled to make sense of your earlier communications - happily we got there in the end so that's cool. But it really wouldn't surprise me if the other agent just got fed up with the phone call (bearing in mind he is real danger of losing his job) and just said "arbitration" just to get rid of you. I am not saying it's right, but that is my guess. Now BA doesn't actually do arbitration as such, there is a system known as CEDR for resolving cases that could not be solved any other way, but it takes months. It is free though, despite the CEDR website saying something else. Anyway you don't want to focus on that, it really doesn't help you, a rebooking or refund will help you. But CEDR does apply the law on cancelled flights, and cancelled flights = refund. It is that simple.

But your most important and very good question was "Would BA automatically remove the passenger from an operating flight BOS-LHR if the obward flight is cancelled?" And the big, big risk is if you are deemed to be a "no show" on BOS-LHR, so as a very minimum you want to be removed from that sector as soon as possible and definitely a few hours before departure. I would almost do that first, just to buy yourself more time to make an informed decision. So call this evening, UK time, ask to be removed from BOS-LHR due to the cancellation of LHR-DXB. Then explore the refund / rebook options.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:00 am

If you want my honest answer to the appeal question, I have a doctorate in linguistics, I have worked in the field of linguistics for nearly 40 years, and I struggled to make sense of your earlier communications - happily we got there in the end so that's cool. But it really wouldn't surprise me if the other agent just got fed up with the phone call (bearing in mind he is real danger of losing his job) and just said "arbitration" just to get rid of you. I am not saying it's right, but that is my guess. Now BA doesn't actually do arbitration as such, there is a system known as CEDR for resolving cases that could not be solved any other way, but it takes months. It is free though, despite the CEDR website saying something else. Anyway you don't want to focus on that, it really doesn't help you, a rebooking or refund will help you. But CEDR does apply the law on cancelled flights, and cancelled flights = refund. It is that simple.
You have to believe me when I state that there was No altercation or strong language exchange with the BA person. First of all it was not a call as it was not possible to reach anyone. It was via email and I assure that I sm most business like in my complaint and request for a refund. It would be have been foolhardy to be otherwise, for the very reasons you stated. The frustration you discerned on these posts was after I had reached a deadend with BA.

My distinct impression is that the oerson was PRIMED to move my application to rejection As Fast As he could. It took just 2 emails for him to state that he is "satisfied" that he has dealt with my case and if I don't it to move to arbitration. In the process of doing do he totally IGNORED the questions I am posing on the status if my full bo9king and ticket followinf the cancelation of kne flight. So from this fact as well as using the (rejected) application for a FTV as the excuse I gathered that he was intent kn bringing the request to a quick negative end. Am I wrong in this?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; May 16, 2020 at 9:48 am Reason: Fix quote
Old May 16, 2020, 9:07 am

Am I wrong in this?
I get this is an unhappy experience, for the reasons you have made clear, but I would suggest you detach yourself from the FTV / email exchange, and focus on what you want now, focus on the future. Which is certainly to get offloaded from your booked service BOS-LHR, and then to refund/rebook. Traditionally webforms / emails are not used much in liaison with customers, the exceptions being Premier and Gold Guest List passengers, plus a bit of Twitter. Customer Relations do email customers but CR only operates after completion of travel, which has not happened yet. Whether this is right or wrong is a debate for another time, but almost all customer contact is via telephone. Consequently you best focus your energy on people who can fix problems, which will be the Contact Centre staff, on the telephone.
Brighterside, KARFA and Rachel1 like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:35 am

does it count as a true cancelled flight eligible for refund to original form of payment if BA cancels my specific LAX flight because it removes one of the three daily flights from the schedule on my day of travel and automatically rebooks me onto one of the remaining BA flights that departs about two hours earlier? one could certainly see the logic in treating this scenario as a minor schedule change rather than a true cancellation that qualifies for full refund under EU regulation.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Colin
does it count as a true cancelled flight eligible for refund to original form of payment if BA cancels my specific LAX flight because it removes one of the three daily flights from the schedule on my day of travel and automatically rebooks me onto one of the remaining BA flights that departs about two hours earlier? one could certainly see the logic in treating this scenario as a minor schedule change rather than a true cancellation that qualifies for full refund under EU regulation.
the flight you were on was cancelled so that is still a cancellation regardless of whether you are rebooked automatically on another flight or not. in your example you would be entitled to a full refund - or rebook on to one of the other flights if that's what you want.

in addition under the BA standard guidelines of you flight isn't cancelled, but has a time change of more than 120 minutes then you can also get a full refund - this is when the schedule change is more than 120 minutes from the original departure time or if on connecting flights 120 minutes is the schedule change from point of origin to the point of destination, including the time to transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.