Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:14 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
What is happening with BA Holidays? We have only paid a £50 deposit, and were going to leave it there, but have just been told that one of the flights is cancelled - do we get the deposit back?

Update: 40 minutes on hold but a very helpful agent. Deposit will be refunded and they are not chasing people up for full payments until nearer the date of travel.

Also thanks to everyone close to the coalface for all of the help on here and to say that on 2 recent calls, once I got through, the help has been great.

Last edited by vintagepilot; Mar 21, 2020 at 3:56 am
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:07 am

Question: Does anyone know roughly how far in advance BA are reviewing flight schedules at the moment?

Context: I have flights for 5th April (2 weeks away) which are still operating at the moment (LHR-HND) however given travel restrictions for British Citizens leaving UK, and restrictions (14 day self-isolation) for anyone arriving in Japan from UK, I'm wondering on the practicalities for this flight operating (unless strong cargo demand?).
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:12 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Really impressed with BA Holidays...
US Easter holiday proactively cancelled on their part (got the email 6 days ago) and all money refunded to my credit card a couple of days ago.

The BA Holidays team are superb and I wish them all the best during these difficult times.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mwp1
I have just had a domestic cancelled for next Tuesday, if I opt for a voucher refund will the avios I used as part pay be automatically refunded back into my baec account ,

TIA
I believe that you will get a voucher for the Gross cash value of the ticket before application of any Avios part-pay, and the Avios that you paid with are written off.

So, if the ticket price was £100 and you part-paid with 1000 Avios for £10 off (meaning you actually paid £90 in cash) you'll get voucher credit for £100 but no Avios back.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:33 am

Avios Redeposit?

Hi

Iíve been collecting avios for many years but am pretty new to using them. We also started using a BA Amex a year ago to get a companion voucher.

Our first flight using avios and the voucher was due to be in April but due to the virus we chose to cancel it online 3 weeks ago.

The flight has successfully cancelled and we received an email saying that any refunds would be received within 5 days.

We havenít received the £1000 taxes refund yet, nor the voucher refund, nor the avios refund. We want to rebook for next spring but canít until the refunds come through.

I fully understand that they must be very busy but Iíd have thought refunds and redeposits would be automated???

Should I be worried or are delays like this normal?

I donít want to start chasing them and wasting their time if itís just a matter of waiting for a while.

Thank you. Andrew
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: British Airways
so after I received on Wednesday emails that the vouchers would be processed within 7 days yesterday I got an email that I'm not entitled for a voucher (though all flights effected are scheduled in march and have been cancelled in the meantime)

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Mar 21, 2020 at 11:29 am Reason: Remove some rather unhelpful asides
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fliegwech
so after I received on Wednesday emails that the vouchers would be processed within 7 days yesterday I got an email that I'm not entitled for a voucher (though all flights effected are scheduled in march and have been cancelled in the meantime)
Was there any reason given as to why you were not entitled to a voucher? Hope you manage to sort this out.

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 21, 2020 at 11:28 am Reason: Amend quotation
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by Wilwak
I fully understand that they must be very busy but Iíd have thought refunds and redeposits would be automated???

Should I be worried or are delays like this normal?

I donít want to start chasing them and wasting their time if itís just a matter of waiting for a while.

Thank you. Andrew
It is normally pretty quick - although there is probably some 'within so many days' warning. For our previous cancellation, before the current crisis, the points and voucher reappeared the same day and the cash the following day. For the latest one, due to flight cancellations, we have had the points and voucher but no sign of the cash yet after 4 days - he did say it was going to be manual cancellation. On my most recent contact, the agent was quoting 5-7 days for refunds.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Voda_boy
Question: Does anyone know roughly how far in advance BA are reviewing flight schedules at the moment?

Context: I have flights for 5th April (2 weeks away) which are still operating at the moment (LHR-HND) however given travel restrictions for British Citizens leaving UK, and restrictions (14 day self-isolation) for anyone arriving in Japan from UK, I'm wondering on the practicalities for this flight operating (unless strong cargo demand?).
no set time unfortunately some flights been cancelled as far as April some only March it's very moveable at moment
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
Quick question - sorry if its been covered - i did search but nothing came up.
We are still looking to get back from Miami early - we were hoping to fly back at the end of the month, but all the BA operated flights have been pulled, from March 28th as far as I can tell.
The AA38, codeshared as BA1529 is available on the date we wanted - will BA let us move to the AA flight to get back (same cabin), as part of our free change as we are part flown. Thanks.

JetRanger - my MCO-LGW was cancelled for end of the month and I am now booked MCO-MIA-LHR with the TATL leg on BA1529 (operated by AA 38) had it changed no problem by very helpful staff. Hope you get sorted.
Jet Ranger likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:11 am

I booked some flights to Spain and part paid with Avios. One of the connecting flights in my booking has been cancelled (I am expecting all of them to be cancelled eventually to be honest).

I don't want the travel voucher in exchange.

My question is, if I use the javascript hack to cancel and get a cash refund, will I get the full cash I paid and Avios re-deposited?

Will they charge the £35 service fee even if one of the flights was cancelled by them?

The website suggests I should call to get a refund, but then it says don't call if I am not flying within the next 72 hours. Its all a bit confusing, so would like some suggestions as to what to do.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by giorgoxxi
I booked some flights to Spain and part paid with Avios. One of the connecting flights in my booking has been cancelled (I am expecting all of them to be cancelled eventually to be honest).

I don't want the travel voucher in exchange.

My question is, if I use the javascript hack to cancel and get a cash refund, will I get the full cash I paid and Avios re-deposited?

Will they charge the £35 service fee even if one of the flights was cancelled by them?

The website suggests I should call to get a refund, but then it says don't call if I am not flying within the next 72 hours. Its all a bit confusing, so would like some suggestions as to what to do.
call when within 72 hours of travel full refund of everything no fee is the website isn't fixed or the work around isn't working for you
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it's the first flight then there is no hurry, call whenever it is convenient in the next 6 years.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Voda_boy

My flight to TLV for 28th April was cancelled on Thursday.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Silver , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by JohnM5
My flight to TLV for 28th April was cancelled on Thursday.
And I have flights 22nd and 25th of April from Spain that have not been cancelled. They are zeroed out on Expert Flyer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.