Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm a bit confused regarding the need for reward flight availability if I choose to take a FTV.
I have just had the return part of LHR- BKK (in J) SIN-LHR (in F) cancelled. I assume this means I can cancel both the outward and return. This was an Avios booking using a 2-4-1.
The chances of us doing the exact same routing in the same classes are limited, but not impossible. If I accept a FTV do I have to do the same routing in the same classes? I'm planning on rescheduling a far East trip at some point in the future, but these flights were chosen by the availability of reward flights. Basically I'm seeking opinions on whether to accept a FTV or go for a refund. Taxes etc were about £1k. I don't want to lose the Avios but I have sufficient for future needs without needing an immediate Avios refund.
Many thanks.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Phoned BA to try to rebook for Dec or Jan...
BUT BA have said that because my ticket was booked in July 2019, they can only rebook us on any flight up to July 2020 (which is basically useless), and from then on we are limited to Avios availability. Obviously these routes, certainly in F, require a 12 month lead time, basically they are saying we should cancel, reclaim our Avios and rebook 12 months out. So any eventual travel on that itinerary will be around 23 months from our original booking (not much of a honeymoon any more!).
Assuming global rules, vaccines etc permit travel within the next 12 months, we want to travel sooner than that.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum GBOAC, I hope we will see more of you but the circumstances here aren't great, it must be quite stressful too. Unfortunately you were correctly advised, and it is the case that those who book and plan well in advance tend to come off worse as a result.

I would take the FTV or refund. It isn't true that First is only available at 12 months on these routes, in fact it is the opposite - you are best looking at around 10 weeks to departure. First is not part of the 355 day promise, and while it can show up at that point onJFK and CPT, on other routes it is best found closer in to departure. If you are only prepared to fly in First then the refund is the best option. If you are prepared to at least book CW (where availability is still fairly limited, but there are some viable dates), then you can easily shift up to First as and when the cabin opens up for it. There may be a £35 change fee for this but you may be able to persuade the agent not to charge that in the circumstances.

The underlying cause of this is not your fault or BA's fault, it isn't good but the circumstances are such that it may be best to work around the system a bit.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:13 am

Sorry to crosspost this from another thread but I think this is the proper place to ask.

Email received saying my flight to Nashville on 18 June cancelled. When I click through MMB I am told I need to call to make a change.

Just to get your final thoughts on my plans now - I want to move this to May 2021, ideally staying the first couple of weeks in May, and change the destination to Atlanta if they'll allow it.

It was paid using Avios and an Amex 2-4-1. I think I need to hang fire for a couple of weeks until these new dates are on sale, call up BA and ask to make the change, hoping there are flights in Business with Avios availability that roughly match the time period I want to travel? The 2-4-1 was extended and expires on 7 May 2021 so I would need the outbound flight to be before that date, is that right?

If there is no availability on the dates I want, or I can't change the destination, I will take the Book with Confidence voucher and start from scratch, as the validity of the 2-4-1 will be extended to 2022. Can I then use this straight away with the agent, or does it take some time to be processed?
Old May 7, 2020, 9:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
. If I accept a FTV do I have to do the same routing in the same classes? .
No. To keep it as simple as possible, but there are detais in the wiki and upthread:

Rebooking under Buy With Confidence: must be same route (small changes may be allowed), no need for availablity other than space in cabin, no change fees, straight swap. Disadvantaged: has to be a BA cancelled flight, rebooking must be within 1 year of original purchase.

FTV: Doesn't have to be a cancellation (subject to some date rules), you have until April 2022 to complete travel, doesn't have to be the same route or cabin, can also be a BA Holiday booking, Companion vouchers extended too. Disadvantages. fare difference may apply (fare reductions may go in your favour), and for Avios bookings you need availability.
IMH and bluemoon68 like this.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by greenchicken
It was paid using Avios and an Amex 2-4-1. I think I need to hang fire for a couple of weeks until these new dates are on sale, call up BA and ask to make the change, hoping there are flights in Business with Avios availability that roughly match the time period I want to travel? The 2-4-1 was extended and expires on 7 May 2021 so I would need the outbound flight to be before that date, is that right?

If there is no availability on the dates I want, or I can't change the destination, I will take the Book with Confidence voucher and start from scratch, as the validity of the 2-4-1 will be extended to 2022. Can I then use this straight away with the agent, or does it take some time to be processed?
Your options are refund, FTV or rebooking. See post above to clarify most of this, but you can only book to April 2021 at the moment AND you need to rebook withint a year of original purchase date, whenever that was, which I suspect takes away a rebooking in May. A rebooking would not need availability. FTV does need availability but you have a longer period to select a new date. You can do this in one hit when you call to go the FTV route.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Your options are refund, FTV or rebooking. See post above to clarify most of this, but you can only book to April 2021 at the moment AND you need to rebook withint a year of original purchase date, whenever that was, which I suspect takes away a rebooking in May. A rebooking would not need availability. FTV does need availability but you have a longer period to select a new date. You can do this in one hit when you call to go the FTV route.
Originally booked in December so that sounds like a rebooking is out of the picture? In which case I will call in a couple of weeks (assuming flights are released day by day, 355 days out?), claim the FTV and book the new dates...
Old May 7, 2020, 9:44 am

Originally booked in December so that sounds like a rebooking is out of the picture? In which case I will call in a couple of weeks (assuming flights are released day by day, 355 days out?), claim the FTV and book the new dates...
Yes, unless you can go this year rebooking doesn't help here, you would be on a FTV but if you book immediately I think the FTV process is partly bypassed to allow the booking to get through. You do need to wait until 355 days, it can be 354 depending on time zone details.

I greatly enjoyed my trip on BA's 787 to Nashville, I was on the inaugural as were a number of FTers, so I hope you can make it work out. I was also in Atlanta recently, and half changed my view of the place somewhat upwards (from a low base!).
greenchicken likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:48 am

Yes, unless you can go this year rebooking doesn't help here, you would be on a FTV but if you book immediately I think the FTV process is partly bypassed to allow the booking to get through. You do need to wait until 355 days, it can be 354 depending on time zone details.

I greatly enjoyed my trip on BA's 787 to Nashville, I was on the inaugural as were a number of FTers, so I hope you can make it work out. I was also in Atlanta recently, and half changed my view of the place somewhat upwards (from a low base!).
Thanks, good to know I can (hopefully) do it all on one call in a couple of weeks rather than having to wait for a FTV to process or similar.

Thanks for the reviews of Nashville and Atlanta, I am really looking forward to visiting, we're hoping they let us change to Atlanta so we can add a couple of nights to the trip, spend a couple of nights there, then drive to Nashville, Memphis and eventually New Orleans then home. If we can't change to Atlanta, we'll still be happy to get to Nashville. I think one poster helpfully told me it may be possible to switch as the two airports are within 300 miles of each other. A shame it will be a year later than hoped!
Old May 7, 2020, 11:19 am

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum GBOAC, I hope we will see more of you but the circumstances here aren't great, it must be quite stressful too. Unfortunately you were correctly advised, and it is the case that those who book and plan well in advance tend to come off worse as a result.

I would take the FTV or refund. It isn't true that First is only available at 12 months on these routes, in fact it is the opposite - you are best looking at around 10 weeks to departure. First is not part of the 355 day promise, and while it can show up at that point onJFK and CPT, on other routes it is best found closer in to departure. If you are only prepared to fly in First then the refund is the best option. If you are prepared to at least book CW (where availability is still fairly limited, but there are some viable dates), then you can easily shift up to First as and when the cabin opens up for it. There may be a £35 change fee for this but you may be able to persuade the agent not to charge that in the circumstances.

The underlying cause of this is not your fault or BA's fault, it isn't good but the circumstances are such that it may be best to work around the system a bit.
I guess I'm going to have to surrender my dream of flying First in an A380. I'm just royally annoyed that having had my taxes/fees etc for 11 months, and having booked so far out, we are so heavily penalised. Even a refund will effectively leave me out of pocket of interest on the £1000 that BA have held for us for past 11 months!

Airlines will need loyalty, nor will they be full in any means for the next few years in any cabin, so it just seems mean that they are not offering any flexibility on rebooking. And Status counts for NOTHING in these circumstances (except that I actually spoke to someone on the Gold Line).

I know that any booking is a bit pie in the sky at present, but to basically put us to the back of the queue because we booked well in advance seems most unfair. What was supposed to be a something to look forward to, is now a huge worry/burden - can we rebook?, do I have to check every day for new availability.....? And will it be worth the effort if its scrubbed in 6 months-time? Just having assurances that eventually BA will deliver your itinerary in the class booked when things ease up, would be a weight off the mind and something to eventually look forward to at the end of this dark tunnel.

All I want is to be rebooked at a point in the medium term that might have a chance of being flow. I do not want to delay my trip by 12 months, unless global circumstances dictate this nearer the time...
Old May 7, 2020, 12:11 pm

Thanks for the reviews of Nashville and Atlanta, I am really looking forward to visiting, we're hoping they let us change to Atlanta so we can add a couple of nights to the trip, spend a couple of nights there, then drive to Nashville, Memphis and eventually New Orleans then home. If we can't change to Atlanta, we'll still be happy to get to Nashville. I think one poster helpfully told me it may be possible to switch as the two airports are within 300 miles of each other. A shame it will be a year later than hoped!
Nashville has one huge advantage, assuming things return to normal: BA is the only significant international flight so the CBP are there just for you. It's perfectly possible to be in your hotel room 30 minutes after touching down at BNA. ATL on the other hand is one of the largest airports in the world, so it's not such as good an entry experience. On the other hand ATL was always a good 'un for finding Avios seats. And it is good to have a relatively integrated metro system in the middle of the airport.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:19 pm

Just a follow up for a datapoint that I don't think too many have had although I admit I haven't read all 139 pages: cash booking with Avios upgrade.

I had a booking with cash in ET that I upgraded with Avios and the flight (June) was recently cancelled. After numerous attempts I got through on the phone! It was interesting in that although it took many attempts to finally get past the recording, hold time once I got through was relatively short, maybe 10 minutes.

Anyway, the Avios were returned to my account in about an hour and I was told on the phone to expect about 21 days for the cash refund to my card.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
I have a flight to London on 19 June 2020 that has just been cancelled (which works for me since Glasto has also been cancelled this year). But I haven't had any notification about the return flight being cancelled (yet). Booked F/J for outbound-return. While I would normally be fine with a FTV I have serious doubts about Glasto 2021 and other UK events going ahead and would just rather have the cash back. It was booked on BA site directly.

Am I correct in my assumption that if my outbound flight is cancelled my whole itinerary is refundable?

Also, is the seat booking fee for the J return flight also refundable in cash or FTV?

If the return is not refundable in cash I'll wait a bit longer as I think there is a good chance the return flight will be cancelled eventually.

Sorry if this has been posted in this thread already. I did browse a number of pages and tried to do a search after reading the wiki, but there were too many results for my key words.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Bellerina
I have a flight to London on 19 June 2020 that has just been cancelled (which works for me since Glasto has also been cancelled this year). But I haven't had any notification about the return flight being cancelled (yet). Booked F/J for outbound-return. While I would normally be fine with a FTV I have serious doubts about Glasto 2021 and other UK events going ahead and would just rather have the cash back. It was booked on BA site directly.

Am I correct in my assumption that if my outbound flight is cancelled my whole itinerary is refundable?

Answer: Yes, if any flight in your itinerary is cancelled then you are eligible for a full refund. You will need to call to obtain the refund.

Also, is the seat booking fee for the J return flight also refundable in cash or FTV?

Answer: Your seat booking fees are refundable in cash when a flight in your itinerary is cancelled.

If the return is not refundable in cash I'll wait a bit longer as I think there is a good chance the return flight will be cancelled eventually.

Sorry if this has been posted in this thread already. I did browse a number of pages and tried to do a search after reading the wiki, but there were too many results for my key words.
Bellerina likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bellerina

Yes, if any flight in your itinerary under 1 PNR is cancelled, you can cancel the rest of the booking and get a full refund including seat fee. Ditto for FTV. Best to call up to ask for your money back unless there is a particular preference for FTV.
Bellerina likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:29 pm

Nashville has one huge advantage, assuming things return to normal: BA is the only significant international flight so the CBP are there just for you. It's perfectly possible to be in your hotel room 30 minutes after touching down at BNA. ATL on the other hand is one of the largest airports in the world, so it's not such as good an entry experience. On the other hand ATL was always a good 'un for finding Avios seats. And it is good to have a relatively integrated metro system in the middle of the airport.
Thanks, good tips. I'm not completely clear on whether they are likely to let me change to Atlanta, is there any fixed rule about this or does it depend on the agent?

If not it sounds like Nashville is a good experience anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.