Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 4:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by A380MR
Morning. I opted for the voucher option 6 weeks ago (Event was cancelled to no point travelling), since then the original flights were cancelled by BA. Is there any legal right to have a refund now?
Not a clear one, no, hence the advice upthread to leave it to the last moment. I am not a lawyer but on the margins you may have a claim if BA knew the flight couldn't operate. And / or on the basis of an unbalanced or unfair contract. I don't fancy your chances. Perhaps if the vouchers cannot be used you may have a further remedy in 2 years.
Old May 4, 2020, 4:09 am

Programs: mileage plus
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, that would be easy to do in normal circumstances, you would just ring up and ask for the reservation to be split and so long as there isn't some complexity on the reservation (such as a 2-4-1 voucher) this can be done without issue. Given the new policy from 28 April, you best wait until you are close to departure, say a few days before departure, or it is cancelled previously, just to maintain your flexibility in terms of response.
thanks for the quick response - will do
Old May 4, 2020, 4:16 am

Thank you.
Old May 4, 2020, 4:39 am

Morning,

Probably in the same boat as everyone else here. Flight was cancelled the other week, since then I've been calling up each day on 02032500145 to get a refund but having no luck. Just get the standard message saying they are too busy right now and it ends the call. Looking at my call logs that was the 25th attempt which is ridiculously.

Is there another way to get the refund?

Thanks.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by RedArrowX
Morning,

Probably in the same boat as everyone else here. Flight was cancelled the other week, since then I've been calling up each day on 02032500145 to get a refund but having no luck. Just get the standard message saying they are too busy right now and it ends the call. Looking at my call logs that was the 25th attempt which is ridiculously.

Is there another way to get the refund?

Thanks.
PM BA refund helper and they should be able to assist you if you've been waiting longer than a week.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
PM BA refund helper and they should be able to assist you if you've been waiting longer than a week.

I’ve just recently come off the phone to BA to request our refund after receiving email cancellation from them this morning. Phoned 0800 727 800 bypassing all the option numbers. On hold for 15min and call lasted 2min.
Old May 4, 2020, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Pat Leigh
I’ve just recently come off the phone to BA to request our refund after receiving email cancellation from them this morning. Phoned 0800 727 800 bypassing all the option numbers. On hold for 15min and call lasted 2min.
How do you bypass the option numbers? I tried that number just now and it had the same menu options as the 02032500145 one and again ended the call saying they're too busy. Even tried not entering any option but it just routed me to the same message.
Old May 4, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: mileage plus
i've had success getting through on saturdays, especially when it's sunny out
Old May 4, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
I have the following booking for end of June:
TXL-LHR-SYD-ZQN
BNE-SYD-LHR-TXL

The long haul legs were WTP and I UUA'd the outbound to CW. I booked this on Expedia originally. The TXL-LHR leg has been cancelled and I am sure the others will soon too. What is the best way to cancel this? I guess I have to do it via Expedia? What happens to the UUA? Do BA refund this?
Old May 4, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: Various memberships
Trying to help a family member who has just received the "your flight has been cancelled" E-mail.

Tried the call center - no luck

What happens if you do nothing?
Old May 4, 2020, 8:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Trying to help a family member who has just received the "your flight has been cancelled" E-mail.

Tried the call center - no luck

What happens if you do nothing?
Nothing. As noted here you have plenty of time, and it isn't critical to do it prior to the original flight departure point.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32346940-post37.html
Old May 4, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: Various memberships
Originally Posted by KARFA
Nothing. As noted here you have plenty of time, and it isn't critical to do it prior to the original flight departure point.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32346940-post37.html
Sorry didn't make it clear - this is a cash booking and he wants a refund.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Sorry didn't make it clear - this is a cash booking and he wants a refund.
Ah ok. The answer is the same.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
BA refund helper recently said that he is only able to help those waiting for a refund for at least two weeks.
See:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32343344-post745.html
KARFA and YYCCL3 like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 10:31 am

Well, you have to hand it to BA. United is spending all its time fighting to re-define "cancel." VS is simply stringing everyone along and facing wrath. AF is petitioning the government to withhold refunds.

BA has decided on a much more elegant solution -- just don't answer the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.