Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2021, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by RG1X
Can't seem to find a good thread to ask this in, so apologies if it's off topic...

What's the current situation with flying to the US from the UK? When I loaded the ESTA page earlier I got this popup:

I assume this is up to date despite the March 2020 date? Seems to be mirrored somewhat here: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa
Yes, this Proclamation is still in effect.
If you would like to travel to the USA under the current circumstances, you should spend the last 14 days before arriving in the USA, in a country that is not listed on the Presidential Proclamation. People generally choose to spend that 14 days in Turkey, UAE, or Mexico.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, this Proclamation is still in effect.
If you would like to travel to the USA under the current circumstances, you should spend the last 14 days before arriving in the USA, in a country that is not listed on the Presidential Proclamation. People generally choose to spend that 14 days in Turkey, UAE, or Mexico.
Thanks.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat
General question about BA cancelations and rebookings. Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find the exact info.
If BA flights are canceled, I know they are allowing re-booking of tickets on the same route with no fare difference up to one year from ticket booking. To use this,does the change need to be made before the original departure date, or do you still get that same option later on a canceled ticket?

I have a few European flights that are getting canceled in March / April, but too early to book a new date now.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by justin1123
General question about BA cancelations and rebookings. Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find the exact info.
If BA flights are canceled, I know they are allowing re-booking of tickets on the same route with no fare difference up to one year from ticket booking. To use this,does the change need to be made before the original departure date, or do you still get that same option later on a canceled ticket?

I have a few European flights that are getting canceled in March / April, but too early to book a new date now.
I don't know if this works, but the Twitter team told me you could do this, but you need to get in touch with them prior to the day of the cancelled flight and they put a dummy segment into the reservation which keeps the PNR active, and then you can rebook a cancelled flight free afterwards (as long as it's within a year of original ticket). Does anyone have any practical experience with this?
Old Feb 23, 2021, 3:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sb1982
I don't know if this works, but the Twitter team told me you could do this, but you need to get in touch with them prior to the day of the cancelled flight and they put a dummy segment into the reservation which keeps the PNR active, and then you can rebook a cancelled flight free afterwards (as long as it's within a year of original ticket). Does anyone have any practical experience with this?
Yes. There are several mentions of this are in the main Rebook / Cancel thread.
Old May 23, 2021, 2:48 am

Programs: BA silver
Hi - we were booked on a 2-4-1 redemption next week to New York. We cancelled and got the cash/avios/voucher refunded when the schedules got changed (again) earlier in the year.
However the booking is still showing as active in manage my booking and asking us to accept a proposed schedule change (which is a bit of a mess as we were rebooked several times due to various schedule changes since last year when we booked - it currently shows three different flights in each direction). We are also getting various pre-departure emails.
Do we need to worry about this/do anything? eg risk of ESTA cancellation/other immigration issues arising from being booked on a flight to US when entry not permitted? We have no intention of checking in/attempting to travel/etc.
Old May 23, 2021, 4:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by paul71
Hi - we were booked on a 2-4-1 redemption next week to New York. We cancelled and got the cash/avios/voucher refunded when the schedules got changed (again) earlier in the year.
Can you give some more details on this. Did you cancel while the original flight was still operating? And thus paid £35? If so, then you don't need to do anything if you have seen everything refunded. The app version of Manage My Booking should not show a ticket number. They keep the booking alive due to the complex refund arrangements currently ongoing.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Can you give some more details on this. Did you cancel while the original flight was still operating? And thus paid £35? If so, then you don't need to do anything if you have seen everything refunded. The app version of Manage My Booking should not show a ticket number. They keep the booking alive due to the complex refund arrangements currently ongoing.
Hi - it was a no fee cancellation as one of the flights we were booked on had been cancelled, everything has been refunded.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:37 am

Hi - it was a no fee cancellation as one of the flights we were booked on had been cancelled, everything has been refunded.
Ah ok, in which case I think it's just the robots at play. You shouldn't have a ticket number in the app, and if you don't have a ticket then you're not going anywhere, which is what you want.
paul71 likes this.
Old May 23, 2021, 11:06 am

Ah ok, in which case I think it's just the robots at play. You shouldn't have a ticket number in the app, and if you don't have a ticket then you're not going anywhere, which is what you want.
It is still showing a ticket number against a flight that is operating, but also giving "unable to update data" errors
Old May 23, 2021, 11:42 am

It is still showing a ticket number against a flight that is operating, but also giving "unable to update data" errors
In which case you better call up. I'm not convinced you have a problem, but I can't think of why there is a ticket number there at this point.
Old May 24, 2021, 6:26 am

In which case you better call up. I'm not convinced you have a problem, but I can't think of why there is a ticket number there at this point.
Had a 15 min call with BA just now (and only 20 sec wait on the bronze line). The agent who handled the cancellation in March had missed an admin step in the process, all sorted now.
Old May 24, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
Good Afternoon,

I've a quick query with regards to my flight tomorrow to the USA.
Flying BA to ORD from Terminal 5, I'm exempt from the ban as my son is a US Citizen. I've my copy of his birth certificate, social security, passport etc.
Following the advice on here I've not checked in on line, was going to go nice and early to T5 tomorrow etc but I've just had the dreaded "there has been a change to the status of your ESTA" email. On checking it's saying my ESTA has expired, should have been valid until October 2021. Stories on here say their ESTA's have been cancelled. Am I getting caught up on the wording here between expired and cancelled, should I submit a new application or still go early tomorrow to T5 for the manual check of documents etc. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old May 24, 2021, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Clansman
Flying BA to ORD from Terminal 5, I'm exempt from the ban as my son is a US Citizen. I've my copy of his birth certificate, social security, passport etc.
Following the advice on here I've not checked in on line, was going to go nice and early to T5 tomorrow etc but I've just had the dreaded "there has been a change to the status of your ESTA" email. On checking it's saying my ESTA has expired, should have been valid until October 2021. Stories on here say their ESTA's have been cancelled. Am I getting caught up on the wording here between expired and cancelled, should I submit a new application or still go early tomorrow to T5 for the manual check of documents etc. Any help would be much appreciated.
You should just be at T5 a couple of hours early. The DHS staff generally hang around the AA area (Zone D) so find a BA check-in point near there, start the process and then get a BA staff member to get the DHS staffer over to clear your admission. So long as your bona fides are OK then you should be fine, though you may get some more questions at the gate. Your ESTA isn't being used as the basis of travel here, and nor does it need to be.
ExpatExp and Clansman like this.
Old May 24, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
Many thanks CWS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.