Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

We’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’re applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why we’re continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?dr=&dt=British%20Airways%20%7C%20Book%20F lights,%20Holidays,%20City%20Breaks%20%26%20Check% 20In%20Online&scheme=&audience=travel&CUSTSEG=&GGL Member=&ban=c2b728e5fe0683865614c44450048aa6%7C%7C CAM%7C6%7CCTA1%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7CHOME%7C%7C%7C%7CL4%7 C%7C%7C%7Canonymous-inspiration%7C%7C%7C&KMtag=c&KMver=1.0&clickpage=H OME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the ‘My account’ page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Burberries1
BA have not published anything beyond a 30% reduction for entry level for Bronze, Silver and Gold. However, there have certainly been reports in this thread that the reduction has also been applied to those who would otherwise have achieved 2500, 3500 & 5000 TP's.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Are there? I haven't seem any mention of reductions being applied for GUFs? Is anyone getting GUFs at 1750 and 2450? There is no mention of this in the The Executive Club – Tier Flexibility & Voucher Policy which is covering all this?

The CCR card is a bit different and there is a reduction for GGL & CCR from the 5000 level to 3500 (renewing GGL alone reduced to 2100 from 3000).
Originally Posted by Burberries1
Agreed that it is outside the published policy but I'm sure I read on this thread (shortly after BA published the relaxed policy) that 'unofficially' the reduction is also being applied at 2500 and 3000 albeit not automatically - on request with supporting evidence of booking references for cancelled flights. That said - after 75 pages it's difficult to remember what has been reported as fact as opposed to wishful thinking.
I can't say that I remember reports that the reduced TP thresholds would apply for GUFs. There have been reports of GUFs being issued by BAEC when TPs actually flown + TPs from proof of cancelled flights would have reached a normal GUF threshold, see for example this post:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32286459-post918.html
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I can't say that I remember reports that the reduced TP thresholds would apply for GUFs. There have been reports of GUFs being issued by BAEC when TPs actually flown + TPs from proof of cancelled flights would have reached a normal GUF threshold, see for example this post:
That is probably where it's become confused my memory - what you say sounds right to me.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
My TP year ends at the start of June, and I already have 1200 tier points so I should requalify for gold. At present my account still says I have not qualified and the expiry date remains as normal - does it just display this until the end of my TP year or should I contact BAEC?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
My TP year ends at the start of June, and I already have 1200 tier points so I should requalify for gold. At present my account still says I have not qualified and the expiry date remains as normal - does it just display this until the end of my TP year or should I contact BAEC?
It should appear after 8 June 2021. If your new expiry date does not appear on 9 June 2021, contact BAEC.
Vinotraveller likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
It won't update until after 8 June - which is your year end. My year end was 8 April and my account was updated 14th.
Vinotraveller likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
It seems that IHG have thought about it and, having initially put in a reduced threshold approach similar to BA, have now decided to simply grant a blanket whole year extension. I know they’re on a calendar year system which is different to BA membership but at least they’ve woken up and smelled the coffee.

Will BA be the last to jump or the only loyalty scheme to never jump?
thegreatmrsj likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
It seems that IHG have thought about it and, having initially put in a reduced threshold approach similar to BA, have now decided to simply grant a blanket whole year extension. I know they’re on a calendar year system which is different to BA membership but at least they’ve woken up and smelled the coffee.

Will BA be the last to jump or the only loyalty scheme to never jump?
I temporarily dropped to bronze in Oct and am already sitting on 450 TP for the current year. I also have already had 500 or so TP lost in the last couple of months due to cancellations so a year's extension is a fat lot of use to me. The reduced threshold would suit me perfectly.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I apologize for asking a newbie question in this thread. I'm thinking of giving BAEC a try once travel restrictions loosen. BAEC seems to be unique in that status year is based on when I joined rather than January 1st as the US programs. Since I've never had status with BA, my account shows that I'm blue, which I'm assuming is the lowest level. My account shows that my membership year ends on May 8, 2020. However, my card expiry date is June 30, 2021. So do I qualify for the lower requirements to achieve BA Silver/Gold? I'm assuming my status year starts again on May 9, 2020 and I'll have until May 8, 2021 to hit the lower requirement to reach BA Silver/Gold?

Thank you.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
I apologize for asking a newbie question in this thread. I'm thinking of giving BAEC a try once travel restrictions loosen. BAEC seems to be unique in that status year is based on when I joined rather than January 1st as the US programs. Since I've never had status with BA, my account shows that I'm blue, which I'm assuming is the lowest level. My account shows that my membership year ends on May 8, 2020. However, my card expiry date is June 30, 2021. So do I qualify for the lower requirements to achieve BA Silver/Gold? I'm assuming my status year starts again on May 9, 2020 and I'll have until May 8, 2021 to hit the lower requirement to reach BA Silver/Gold?

Thank you.
the lower thresholds are only for those finishing their membership year in April/May/June 2020. There isn’t any guidance so far for membership years starting in 2020 and ending in 2021.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
deleted

Last edited by Grande Annee; Apr 24, 2020 at 6:08 am Reason: Posted to wrong thread
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
the lower thresholds are only for those finishing their membership year in April/May/June 2020. There isn’t any guidance so far for membership years starting in 2020 and ending in 2021.
Oh...gotcha! Based on the dates that I have provided, when will my 2020 membership year starts? I'm assuming if I want to reach BA Gold, I'll need to accrue 1500 TPs?
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
OK - that's interesting - thanks. And thanks to dylanks who posted the original message. I am in this situation - am very close to a GUF and have had flights cancelled which would have got me there. I will hold that information for when I get the call from BA about renewal.
dylanks likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Oh...gotcha! Based on the dates that I have provided, when will my 2020 membership year starts? I'm assuming if I want to reach BA Gold, I'll need to accrue 1500 TPs?
Your new year will start for travel taken from 9 May 2020 and onwards, until 8 May 2021, and currently you would need 1500 TPs to earn Gold, which would be given to you a few days after going past 1500 TPs. You will be Gold for at least 12 months after you have earned it, so the entire 2021-2022 year plus whatever is left of 2020-2021. You also need 4 eligible flights on BA or IB (with various details around that, see the Stickies). However that is based on the standard BAEC operating conditions. My guess is that this will be reduced at least for your year about to start, the reduction being linked inversely to how open the skies are in the months ahead.
lsquare and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Have you logged any flights in your BAEC account yet? If not, I think that your collection year start will reset when you take your first flight to the next 8th of the month and your card expiry date to the a year from the end of the next month.

So, if you took your first flight on 25 September 2020, your collection year would start on 8 October and your card expiry would be 30 November 2021.

There's lots of info in the BA forum dashboard - eg here: Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2020 edition
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peter h
Have you logged any flights in your BAEC account yet? If not, I think that your collection year start will reset when you take your first flight to the next 8th of the month and your card expiry date to the a year from the end of the next month.

So, if you took your first flight on 25 September 2020, your collection year would start on 8 October and your card expiry would be 30 November 2021.

There's lots of info in the BA forum dashboard - eg here: Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2020 edition
No, I haven't logged any flights into my BAEC account this year. I'm confused. Your post seems to contradict what others have said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.