Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

Well be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, were applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why were continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?dr=&dt=British%20Airways%20%7C%20Book%20F lights,%20Holidays,%20City%20Breaks%20%26%20Check% 20In%20Online&scheme=&audience=travel&CUSTSEG=&GGL Member=&ban=c2b728e5fe0683865614c44450048aa6%7C%7C CAM%7C6%7CCTA1%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7CHOME%7C%7C%7C%7CL4%7 C%7C%7C%7Canonymous-inspiration%7C%7C%7C&KMtag=c&KMver=1.0&clickpage=H OME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the My account page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If youve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If youve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Old May 6, 2020, 4:32 pm

Here’s a thought for all those getting angrier and angrier about a lack of ‘action’ from BA. Is it possible that all those who would actually be involved in making anything happen have been furloughed? And therefore are not around to do it? Exec Club is hardly crucial core activity during coronapanic times, is it?
[Runs and ducks for cover]
TangoOneSeven likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Confus
Heres a thought for all those getting angrier and angrier about a lack of action from BA. Is it possible that all those who would actually be involved in making anything happen have been furloughed? And therefore are not around to do it? Exec Club is hardly crucial core activity during coronapanic times, is it?
[Runs and ducks for cover]
That is true. In my original post anyway I specifically made it clear that I knew BA had bigger issues to deal with and I get that and yes I know that there are a lot bigger issues going on right now, least of which is getting on a plane like you say. That said, it still comes down to basic customer service and that is where BA are failing with this. On the basis that the BAEC are presumably a significant portion of BA's revenue, BA presumably need to retain whatever business they can from members and get any forward bookings they can get from those members also - and so BA assuming the BAEC members who have not been given any indication of their status doing so is a pretty big assumption on BA's part.

I am not mandated to fly BA (or Oneworld for that matter) and I'm one data point (and I know BA wont care about me and that is fine, that is business) but my next booking will be on AA because I know they extended my status, and gave me a future travel credit and made requalification easier so I can easily get OW Emerald though them. Yes, I know there is the joint venture agreement, but the principle is I am actively choosing to overlook BA to go elsewhere and I know my colleagues and family are doing similar as are others in this very thread (seemingly).

The silence adds more weight to the argument they are using this as an opportunity to further devalue and strip back the BAEC, while they do the same to their workforce - the best part of BA.
Scallywag72 likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:14 am

Whilst I agree with the majority of the sentiment here people shouldn’t forget these two things: BA has one of the lowest cost bases in Europe so can compete on price in the transfer game and 2) their position is London, one of the wealthiest O&D market in the world and people will continue to pay a premium for direct flight. So many people don’t care about FF status that the lack of extension won’t be an issue.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by TangoOneSeven
... The silence adds more weight to the argument they are using this as an opportunity to further devalue and strip back the BAEC, while they do the same to their workforce - the best part of BA.
But there is not one single piece of evidence that BA intends to devalue or strip back BAEC benefits
Old May 7, 2020, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
But there is not one single piece of evidence that BA intends to devalue or strip back BAEC benefits
So far.....

I can't do a thing about it if they do or they don't.

What I can do is make decisions about when/if and who I fly with. At the moment my inclination is to go nowhere and book nothing with anyone until it is clearer that we can indeed fly anywhere. At that point I will make my decision.

Unfortunately it seems BA is doing the same, ie nothing beyond what it has done for a small cohort of its BAEC membership. As PR goes, that's not a winning strategy.

In the meantime BA can make its mind up how it wishes to treat me. Thus far it isn't doing anything that seems worthy of retaining my meagre business. So be it. It's frustrating and to my mind and many others on here that's not a good way to treat your frequent fliers.
TangoOneSeven likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Whilst I appreciate the frustration of many, I really don't know how BA can provide a definitive solution when nobody has a clue where this is going to end or what shape the travel industry will be in a years time. A lot of the talk here seems to be on the basis things are going to be business as usual shortly..... it won't be.
T8191, Tobias-UK, Misco60 and 1 others like this.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
According to the just published interim accounts:
IAG does not expect the level of passenger demand in 2019 to recover before 2023, making further Group-wide restructuring measures essential; as a result IAG expects to defer deliveries of 68 aircraft
https://www.iairgroup.com/en/newsroom/press-releases

Sounds like they should just give everyone an extension until at least 2023 so that we can fully make use of the benefits wishful thinking
Old May 7, 2020, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
In common with many here, tomorrow is "Tier Points Day", when my 1,960 TPs vaporise and I start again. Gold is, of course, renewed for 2020/21, but what next in this strange new world?

Future holiday bookings for Calendar 2020 promised 1,100 TPs initially, with a further 600 TPs in the conceptual planning stage. But that has all stopped, starting with our already-cancelled MLA on Sunday and, of course, with more cancellations to come (IAD, ANU & CPT - all with closed Borders right now, and with no relaxations in prospect*). I cannot realistically expect any of the original 1,100 TPs actually being earned. So, where does BA's "bounteous" rule relaxation leave me, and many others? There will be 4 months of 2021 to earn 1,050 TPs? If any Borders have opened by then, of course! "Farewell Gold, Hello soft landing to Silver."

As the international COVID-19 border restrictions and other local measures continue unabated, BA's "offer" looks ever more meaningless. I earnestly hope, as do many here I'm sure, that BA will review this parlous and almost pointless TP requirement adjustment. Otherwise there's little point in loyally sticking to BA/OW. Is that what BA's loyalty scheme has become?

* For future trips, I'm reading the various countries Government websites, local Media and indeed using personal contacts to gain a credible perspective.
JamieABZ likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Not directly related to this thread, but ..... the link provided by ens100 just above covers a number of official IAG statements, one of which (released today) relates specifically to the new date set as to when Willie Walsh will step down and Luis Gallego takes the helm.: September 24.

Last edited by subject2load; May 7, 2020 at 3:29 am Reason: grammar
Old May 7, 2020, 3:22 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Honey - I'm going on their track record. I don't think that they will cut benefits per se - I do suspect (I am choosing my words carefully) that they may be having a spring clean of the numbers in each tier. I have not a shred of evidence except for their deafening silence on the subject for weeks.
Tobias-UK and TangoOneSeven like this.
Old May 7, 2020, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Honey - I'm going on their track record. I don't think that they will cut benefits per se - I do suspect (I am choosing my words carefully) that they may be having a spring clean of the numbers in each tier. I have not a shred of evidence except for their deafening silence on the subject for weeks.
Agree entirely. Its obvious theyve been desperate to cull cheapskate silver/golds (like me!) for a long time, and this is a perfect opportunity. The big change that was planned for later this year clearly wont be happening for now at least, so this is a cheap way of achieving the same aim. When it all comes out in the wash, I would expect (again purely speculation) them to offer - for example - corporates willing to commit to a certain volume of flying a pack of shiny cards to distribute to those whove lost status in the meantime. Targeted action, not blanket extensions. Sad (for me at least) but realistic, knowing BA.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
Whilst I appreciate the frustration of many, I really don't know how BA can provide a definitive solution when nobody has a clue where this is going to end or what shape the travel industry will be in a years time. A lot of the talk here seems to be on the basis things are going to be business as usual shortly..... it won't be.
Maybe it is just BA that cant find a definitive solution...however other companies seem to have found their own solutions, whether they prove to be good for their business or not, time will tell.

Although It is quite clear that this goes beyond the scope that BAEC have set and will affect customers who have a membership throughout 2020, therefore why not just be done with it and announce a definite solution beyond what was announced...5 weeks ago? (Ive lost track of time)
Old May 7, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Perhaps middle-age is creeping in, but I recall an old tier point system whereby once a new level was achieved the TPs were reset back to zero and starting over again to reach the next. For example, hit 600 for Silver, drop down to 0 and hit 1,500 to make Gold; thus the whole road to gold was 2,100 tier points.

I may well be wrong but this my recollection.

A propos, I'm on the fence with this discussion and have not made up mind.

H
Old May 7, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Hoch
Perhaps middle-age is creeping in, but I recall an old tier point system whereby once a new level was achieved the TPs were reset back to zero and starting over again to reach the next. For example, hit 600 for Silver, drop down to 0 and hit 1,500 to make Gold; thus the whole road to gold was 2,100 tier points.

I may well be wrong but this my recollection.

A propos, I'm on the fence with this discussion and have not made up mind.

H
You are absolutely correct, I'd forgotten about that but it was indeed the system previously.
Old May 7, 2020, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I remain convinced that BA is using this excuse to deliberately cull the numbers of Gold, SIlvers etc, and will remain this persuaded until I see some evidence to the contrary. Reducing the qualification is helpful, but not if people were about to do their travelling with the end of the Tier Year in sight.
I would say that them lowering the thresholds for qualification is certainly evidence that they are not necessarily trying to cull the numbers, Mrs Wilsnunn was never going to reach Silver, she was quite far off and had no intention of doing a TP run (she doesn't believe in them for herself when I already have status), but as a result of the lowered thresholds, she now has Silver until end of May 2021 and there will no doubt be many others in this situation.

I fully agree with you that the lowering of qualification threshold did not help those who did a majority of their travel towards the end of their year, however there has been quite a bit of evidence that BA have been renewing people on a discretionary basis too if they are in this situation, and one must also ask, what percentage of people do leave all of their travel until the final months of their year?

That said, I still do not have enough faith in BA to be confident that they are not planning on taking "advantage" of this horrible situation and completely overhauling the whole of BAEC as I said previously.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.