Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

We’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’re applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why we’re continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?dr=&dt=British%20Airways%20%7C%20Book%20F lights,%20Holidays,%20City%20Breaks%20%26%20Check% 20In%20Online&scheme=&audience=travel&CUSTSEG=&GGL Member=&ban=c2b728e5fe0683865614c44450048aa6%7C%7C CAM%7C6%7CCTA1%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7CHOME%7C%7C%7C%7CL4%7 C%7C%7C%7Canonymous-inspiration%7C%7C%7C&KMtag=c&KMver=1.0&clickpage=H OME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the ‘My account’ page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Gordo19
How long till BA start comp’ing Tier levels for 12 months?
I don't want to be comped at my (bronze) tier level. I would have booked and taken flights to get me to silver, so I want silver.

This is why BA aren't doing anything definitive - we all want different things
DrGee and Misco60 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'll be starting from scratch so I'll be blue. Since BA doesn't typically do status match/challenge, I'm assuming I'll have to "suffer" until I hit at least Silver? Anything to make the journey to Silver more comfortable?

I thought about which order to go first. Get the BA segments or get the TPs and I think I should get the segments out if the way since I'll probably earn more Avios overall than get the TPs first. True or false?

Since I'm starting from scratch, I'll probably have to rely on the Priority Pass until I hit at least Silver. I'm looking at the time frame I can realistically fly. I'll probably be flying BA85 out of LHR. Which terminal is that out of and which PP lounge do you recommend?

I know the GGL requires 5000 TPs and renews with 3000 TPs. I know that the Concorde card requires 5000 TPs for renewal, but is it worth it. At JFK, can I access the Concorde lounge if I fly AA in Y?

If I renew GGL at 3000 TPs, do I retain Hilton Diamond status? Am I missing anything else or just no Concorde lounge access if I renew at 3000 TPs?

TIA!
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club.
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'll be starting from scratch so I'll be blue. Since BA doesn't typically do status match/challenge, I'm assuming I'll have to "suffer" until I hit at least Silver? Anything to make the journey to Silver more comfortable?

I thought about which order to go first. Get the BA segments or get the TPs and I think I should get the segments out if the way since I'll probably earn more Avios overall than get the TPs first. True or false?

Since I'm starting from scratch, I'll probably have to rely on the Priority Pass until I hit at least Silver. I'm looking at the time frame I can realistically fly. I'll probably be flying BA85 out of LHR. Which terminal is that out of and which PP lounge do you recommend?

I know the GGL requires 5000 TPs and renews with 3000 TPs. I know that the Concorde card requires 5000 TPs for renewal, but is it worth it. At JFK, can I access the Concorde lounge if I fly AA in Y?

If I renew GGL at 3000 TPs, do I retain Hilton Diamond status? Am I missing anything else or just no Concorde lounge access if I renew at 3000 TPs?

TIA!
I'm Blue and never had status, but have just booked up a 5 day trip for next February which will give me Silver in one hit, all for £1000. Lets hope things are a bit more normal by then. The ticket includes BA1 from LCY-JFK, but i'm not holding out that they will re-introduce this service.
lsquare and JamieABZ like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

TIA!
I'm sure you'll be looking forward to achieving status and all the best with that but most of your questions are answered in the following relevant threads which I'd highly recommend reading.

Of course no one knows what the long term plans are for getting to different levels (see the Wiki on this thread for current reduced TP requirements)

BA85 to Vancouver is currently from Terminal 3 at LHR. If your travelling in business class then by virtue of a business ticket you will have use of the BA/CX/AA/QF lounges there. As for PP lounges I have no idea, sorry.

BA Forum Dashboard

Gold Guest List beginner's guide
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
The JFK Concorde Room is in T7, but AA use T8. There's always the Flagship Lounge though...
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
There will be far less elites especially corporate ones.
A yet to be explored part of this (and I'm sure the airlines are wondering) is just how much corporate travel there will be in the future. Legacy carriers like BA (and LH, AF, et al) I would imagine are more dependent on corporate travel. As someone whose travel is mostly for work, what I wonder about is how willing customers will be to arrange/request face to face meetings, and just as relevant, how willing my employer will be to pay (potentially higher fares) for them? If business is being done successfully without travel, corporations may decide that business travel needs much stronger justification than before.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by npturner
I'm Blue and never had status, but have just booked up a 5 day trip for next February which will give me Silver in one hit, all for £1000. Lets hope things are a bit more normal by then. The ticket includes BA1 from LCY-JFK, but i'm not holding out that they will re-introduce this service.
I certainly hope your trip goes ahead ...... speaking as one of so many with visions of travelling again (regularly) in 2021 - or even earlier if feasible.

Setting aside for a moment the current uncertainty surrounding flight schedules (inc. specifically the viability of BA001), I would imagine your key reason for wishing to attain Silver status relates to lounge access ... ? If so, there are surely huge question marks as to how many / which lounges might return to ‘normal’ operations in the near / medium term future. Airlines will be looking to avoid as much ‘discretionary spend’ as possible.

Folk quaffing bubbly in BA - or other OW - lounges (as though nothing has happened) may not seem a pleasant spectacle in the immediate wake of many, many, thousands of airline staff having (potentially) lost their jobs.

That said, the harsh world of large profit-focussed corporates has, for the most part, remained quite detached from sensitivities revolving around matters of ethics or sympathy - and will no doubt continue to be so. Plus .... memories can be very short.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
Folk quaffing bubbly in BA - or other OW - lounges (as though nothing has happened) may not seem a pleasant spectacle in the immediate wake of many, many, thousands of airline staff having (potentially) lost their jobs.
I doubt that most people will make a connection between the two, any more than they think when using online banking about the tens of thousands of bank staff who have lost their jobs. "Quaffing bubbly" doesn't equate with not caring.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Actually, "folk quaffing bubbly" are the ones keeping those employees' jobs alive.

It may seem odd, but whenever there is a major downturn in the high end of the market due to harsh economic situations, the first to suffer are the ones with low paid jobs in the tourism industry who lose their jobs (cleaners, waiters, etc). Conversely, when things start to get better they will be getting new jobs. So I think they will actually be very happy there are still plenty of wealthy individuals around able to pay their wages ,...
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
I doubt that most people will make a connection between the two, any more than they think when using online banking about the tens of thousands of bank staff who have lost their jobs. "Quaffing bubbly" doesn't equate with not caring.
True enough. And I did add that memories can be very short.

But my wider point was really that airline lounges - as distinct from say, online banking - are hardly an everyday essential. Lounges will almost certainly re-open, at some point ; but whether or not - in a new, harsher, economic climate - we will see much in the way of lounge expansion or additional expenditure by airlines on quality (let alone maintenance of current standards) is perhaps a very different matter.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold

TIA!
It's 600 TP + 4 BA segments to reach Silver ( unless BA reduces these due to COVID-19 ). You need to complete both of the requirements in order to reach Silver.
More details could be found in the respective thread.

In YVR, the Priority Pass lounges in the international terminal are the SkyTeam Lounge and Plaza Premium Lounge. Consult the relevant lounge board or the Canada board for better advice.

I am not sure if you would be able to use the CCR at JFK when flying AA but you would definitely clear security twice. By the way, hot food ( a-la-carte dining ) in JFK and most US airports is only available during the hours of BA flights. The AA Flagship Lounge in Terminal 8 has better food and services compared to the other areas of the Galleries Club of JFK. ( except the travel spa )

If you renew GGL at 3000TP, you would still have the same perks when you qualified with 5000TP. There is no difference in terms of GGL perks between qualifying and re-qualifying. For GGL benefits consult this thread: Gold Guest List beginner's guide
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I don't want to be comped at my (bronze) tier level. I would have booked and taken flights to get me to silver, so I want silver.

This is why BA aren't doing anything definitive - we all want different things
What you want and what is reality are two different things. The above is fantasy land.
The only way to do it is roll over the status, there will be winners and losers with that as well but there is no other straightforward way to do it.
ermis177 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club.
I certainly hope your trip goes ahead ...... speaking as one of so many with visions of travelling again (regularly) in 2021 - or even earlier if feasible.

Setting aside for a moment the current uncertainty surrounding flight schedules (inc. specifically the viability of BA001), I would imagine your key reason for wishing to attain Silver status relates to lounge access ... ? If so, there are surely huge question marks as to how many / which lounges might return to ‘normal’ operations in the near / medium term future. Airlines will be looking to avoid as much ‘discretionary spend’ as possible.

That said, the harsh world of large profit-focussed corporates has, for the most part, remained quite detached from sensitivities revolving around matters of ethics or sympathy - and will no doubt continue to be so. Plus .... memories can be very short.
Partly yes. I spent about £250 last year with Priority pass for my wife and I to get into Lounges, and I probably spent the same again paying for seat pre-selection (which I consider part of the ticket cost) as I can be a nervious flyer, and like to have a decent seat.
So over 2 years thats approx £1000 in extra costs.

My booking has specifically been made just after my new TP year starts, so I will effectively get 2yrs of Silver (if BA keep the same TP year) for the same price as what ive paid in lounges and seat selection, both of which are included with Silver.

Of course the 2nd part of this is that I will (hopefully) get to expereince a 5 day AvGeek trip in Busniess; LHR-SOF-LHR | LCY-JFK-LAX-LHR-SOF-LHR, inlcuding BA1, 747 CW and AA Flagship Business.
If BA doesn't run BA1 then I will swap to a LHR-JFK flight, maybe upgrade to F with Avios if available, and try expereince the TWA hotel instead.

Last edited by npturner; Apr 29, 2020 at 5:33 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:45 am

@ npturner - thanks for coming back on this.

I myself have never been a ‘TP runner’ per se - but I can see that you have a somewhat different personal scenario / priorities, and so I guess it’s very much a case of horses for courses, and whatever works for you. And yes, you will, as you say, get to experience various stuff (technical term) on your proposed trip.

Appreciate your fulsome response
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
At JFK, can I access the Concorde lounge if I fly AA in Y?
Until AA and BA co-locate to the same terminal, it would be a huge hassle considering you would have to clear security twice. And, T7 is has no dedicated TSA Pre.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.