Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
BAEC notification
updated 25 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Executive Club Tier Flexibility Policy
We understand the substantial impact these unprecedented times are having on the lives of our Executive Club Members. We have taken steps to protect the Tier status and well-earned benefits of our Members.

We’ll be lowering Tier Point thresholds by 30% for all Members due for Tier upgrade or renewal in April, May and June. This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds as laid out below
  • Bronze: 210 Tier Points
  • Silver: 420 Tier Points
  • Gold: 1050 Tier Points
  • Gold Guest List (Renewal): 2100 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)
    Gold Guest List (Upgrade): 3500 Tier Points (not on BA.com, internal only)

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, we’re applying a six-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

The situation is constantly changing, which is why we’re continuously reviewing our policy and will communicate any updates.

See here for details: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits?dr=&dt=British%20Airways%20%7C%20Book%20F lights,%20Holidays,%20City%20Breaks%20%26%20Check% 20In%20Online&scheme=&audience=travel&CUSTSEG=&GGL Member=&ban=c2b728e5fe0683865614c44450048aa6%7C%7C CAM%7C6%7CCTA1%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7CHOME%7C%7C%7C%7CL4%7 C%7C%7C%7Canonymous-inspiration%7C%7C%7C&KMtag=c&KMver=1.0&clickpage=H OME#flexibility

FAQs

Show all|Hide all
How do I benefit from the Tier Flexibility policy?If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade or renewal under this policy, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

In the meantime, you will not see any changes to your account until the start of your new Tier Point collection year.

My Tier Point collection year ends in July 2020 or thereafter. Does the Tier Flexibility policy apply to me?The Tier Flexibility policy only applies to Members due for renewal in April, May and June 2020. We understand that the situation is constantly changing, which is why we are continuously reviewing our policies and will be in touch with any changes that are applicable to your membership in the future. There is no need to contact us.

Where can I see my Tier Point collection year end date?This can be viewed on the My Executive Club page or the mobile app. This is shown underneath your current Tier Point total, or at the bottom of the ‘My account’ page on the mobile app.

Do I need to reach the eligible flights required for my Tier to benefit from the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction?The eligible flight requirements have been waived for Members who qualify for the 30% Tier Point threshold reduction in order to renew or upgrade.

I redeemed a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher, or ticket to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a 6-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

I redeemed a Gold Upgrade Voucher on a booking that was changed or cancelled. Does the six-month extension apply to me?If you’ve applied a voucher to a booking for travel from 1 March 2020, should your flight(s) get cancelled or you defer your travel to a later date, we will apply a six-month extension to your voucher. This will happen automatically and there is no need to contact us.

Is my voucher included in the six-month extension policy?This policy covers all vouchers earned using a British Airways credit card. This includes American Express Companion Vouchers, Chase Travel Together Tickets, RBC Companion Award Vouchers, Asba Companion Vouchers, RSB American Express Companion Vouchers and RSB World Mastercard Companion Vouchers.

This policy also includes Gold Upgrade Vouchers.

I am close to earning a Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, with a British Airways credit card. Does the 6-month extension apply to me?We want to maximise the opportunity for Members to use their well earned vouchers. If your Companion Voucher, or Travel Together Ticket, earned via a British Airways credit card is issued during March, April, May or June, we will be automatically applying a 6-month extension. This may take some time to reflect in your account, however there is no need to contact us.

This does not currently apply to Gold Upgrade Vouchers.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
There is no reduction-in-TPs allowance for GUFs, even if BA has cancelled itineraries which would have got you there. So you still need to get your 2500, 3500 etc. I haven't received any TPs for cancelled flights, nor am I expecting any.
Okay thanks, good to know.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Thank you again.
I just flagged the confirmation e-mails of the respective travel on my inbox. Regardless, if I get short of TP's at the end of my TP collection year, I would forward them to BAEC trying to get the respective TP's and Avios' a few days before my tier year ends.
I don't see how that is going to work. BA isn't awarding any TPs or Avios for cancelled flights. It's applying a lowered requirement for TPs.

Renewals or promotions of tier level are based on the published discounts - and I'm guessing some individual leeway if there was a large number of cancelled flights which meant that otherwise the required level would have been achieved.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Okay thanks, good to know.
I only know as I am just short of TPs required for a GUF (and have already had more than enough cancellations to have got me there) but BA has been specific that it's no dice which is frustrating but it is what it is.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Burberries1
Surely the TP credits were only notional - ie used to determine whether an individual would re-qualify for whatever status they would have had if flights had not been cancelled due to Covid 19? I don't recall having read anyone saying that TP's for cancelled flights had been given as an actual credit to their account. Apologies if they have and I missed them.
I think some posts were vague re actual TP credited, hence my post. I don't think BA will give the actual TP tbh, just like no avios, already confirmed here at ba ft.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
There is no reduction-in-TPs allowance for GUFs, even if BA has cancelled itineraries which would have got you there. So you still need to get your 2500, 3500 etc. I haven't received any TPs for cancelled flights, nor am I expecting any.
BA have not published anything beyond a 30% reduction for entry level for Bronze, Silver and Gold. However, there have certainly been reports in this thread that the reduction has also been applied to those who would otherwise have achieved 2500, 3500 & 5000 TP's.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
BA have not published anything beyond a 30% reduction for entry level for Bronze, Silver and Gold. However, there have certainly been reports in this thread that the reduction has also been applied to those who would otherwise have achieved 2500, 3500 & 5000 TP's.
Are there? I haven't seem any mention of reductions being applied for GUFs? Is anyone getting GUFs at 1750 and 2450? There is no mention of this in the The Executive Club – Tier Flexibility & Voucher Policy which is covering all this?

The CCR card is a bit different and there is a reduction for GGL & CCR from the 5000 level to 3500 (renewing GGL alone reduced to 2100 from 3000).
ENTP likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Are there? I haven't seem any mention of reductions being applied for GUFs? Is anyone getting GUFs at 1750 and 2450? There is no mention of this in the The Executive Club – Tier Flexibility & Voucher Policy which is covering all this?

The CCR card is a bit different and there is a reduction for GGL & CCR from the 5000 level to 3500 (renewing GGL alone reduced to 2100 from 3000).
Agreed that it is outside the published policy but I'm sure I read on this thread (shortly after BA published the relaxed policy) that 'unofficially' the reduction is also being applied at 2500 and 3000 albeit not automatically - on request with supporting evidence of booking references for cancelled flights. That said - after 75 pages it's difficult to remember what has been reported as fact as opposed to wishful thinking.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by KARFA

I agree, KARFA. I had specifically asked for clarity on the GUF question and received a response today from the GGL team which said that there hasn't been any allowance made for the TPs required to earn a GUF.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Agreed that it is outside the published policy but I'm sure I read on this thread (shortly after BA published the relaxed policy) that 'unofficially' the reduction is also being applied at 2500 and 3000 albeit not automatically - on request with supporting evidence of booking references for cancelled flights. That said - after 75 pages it's difficult to remember what has been reported as fact as opposed to wishful thinking.
I read that too and put it firmly in the 'rumour' category. If I could apply for tier points I had not flown due to COVID-19 based on booking I had cancelled I would have passed the 6k, 7k and 8k targets prior to May 8th. I cannot see me being gifted those benefits. I would be very happy to be proved wrong.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:27 am

I've had my reply from ggl just now. No actual tp will be credited, just that the lower threshold will apply. They were very apologetic. In light of the circumstances, BA employees should be proud of themselves, they are doing a grand job.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
As a matter of interest the GGL line are answering quicker than normal. Strange times.
What do you define as normal? I am almost always answered within a minute so I cannot imagine it being noticeable faster. That said, I normally don't call in the mornings (UK time) due to my timezone.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
What do you define as normal? I am almost always answered within a minute so I cannot imagine it being noticeable faster. That said, I normally don't call in the mornings (UK time) due to my timezone.
Just quicker that's all, the UK line. They've said it's been very quiet actually.

I've avoided uk ggl line before all this as the Indian guys were always so quick and was convenient for me due to time zones.

The UK ggl line I've had to wait a while, prior to the virus.
Has been noticeable in the past, if you count, a five minute hold as noticeable.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold PC Platinum
75 pages and weeks since this thread started and still nothing from BA beyond June

I am Gold and membership ends November and although I only had 100 or so tier points in Feb when our company stopped travel I still would have made 1500 this year but BA won't see that in their system as I had nothing booked per se (I travel almost every week but typically book only 1-3 weeks in advance)

It's very simple for me, if BA don't do the only correct thing and extend everyone for a year then I will no longer worry about status with them and switch many thousands of Ł per quarter to other airlines

TBH this seems like a more sensible approach anyway, no more chasing status, no more accumulating points that you could lose (like the 350,000 VS points I fear could be about to dissappear) and no more BA loyalty..... I might go old school 😏
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Judging from other reports, some have written a physical letter, you know the old fashioned pen and paper routine, which has the advantage in making it easier to attach any relevant proofs of cancelled bookings. But other users have just used the normal customer relations webform available via the Help and Contacts area on the bottom left of BA.com
contacted 9 days ago no response...not sure how long to wait ?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by travellingcardiologist
contacted 9 days ago no response...not sure how long to wait ?
I would say a couple of weeks would not be so unusual in normal times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.