Wiki Posts
Search

CSM attitude to 'self upgraders'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Virgin Flying Club Red; IHG Spire
CSM attitude to 'self upgraders'

Sat in WT+ this morning on BA165 and along comes a lady who sits in the row behind me, immediately summons the crew and says 'my husband tried to upgrade but was told there were no seats - the row is empty, can he sit here?' Crew said they'd ask the 'manager' and get back to her.

Halfway through the flight, husband appears and plonks himself next to his wife. When I saw the CSM walking through the cabin later, I mentioned that there was someone sat in the seat behind me who wasn't there when we took off. She said something about it being too much hassle to deal with, at which point I said I'd love to sit in Club or First if there were free seats but recognise that I obviously had to sit where I paid. She agreed with me on the principle (asking me if I'd like to sit in the cockpit!), but did absolutely nothing to send the man back to his paid for seat. Then spoke to the man, who tells her that 'a member of crew said I could sit here' and decided to leave him alone - isn't the CSM meant to be the person in charge on board in these situations?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Hmmm you could probably save the identity of the CSM by removing date / and or flight number
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Shocking behaviour, the self upgrader would have been sent packing to their seat but not until I had chewed their ear off.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

On the contrary, I think the CSM should be identifiable in this scenario given her 'it's too much hassle to deal with' approach
PUCCI GALORE, Jed, Dambus and 43 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
What is the point in BA having travel classes if they are not strictly and fairly observed?
Such a incident must be deflating to those passengers who have paid full fare for an enhanced travel class, such as World Traveller Plus.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am rather angry that this happens... I would be writing to the press!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:28 pm

So you have evidence that no member of the crew told him he couldn't sit there?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
So you have evidence that no member of the crew told him he couldn't sit there?
Given the surprise of the CSM, as the manager on board she certainly hadn't given her permission for this
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by hb133
Given the surprise of the CSM, as the manager on board she certainly hadn't given her permission for this
I mean, what if a crew member actually assented?
Whether or not it is allowed isn't the question. Sometimes crew members do do their own thing.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:50 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Sadly in many cases those who have the brass neck to self-upgrade are more likely to be the ones who would submit a complaint against the CSM for sending them packing.

It wouldn’t be terribly hard to concoct a “the CSM was incredibly rude to me when I popped up to see my partner” story, and that would result in a note in the cabin crew member’s file and a meeting with their line manager.

Particularly for those just starting their career, it may be a case of self-preservation rather than inaction - i.e. the crew will usually only choose to deal with situations they can win the battle on.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That is no excuse, I have never been reprimanded for dealing with things that I’m paid to deal with, if I had dealt with this situation it would have been fully reported to CR in preparation for any complaints that followed.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Sadly in many cases those who have the brass neck to self-upgrade are more likely to be the ones who would submit a complaint against the CSM for sending them packing.

It wouldn’t be terribly hard to concoct a “the CSM was incredibly rude to me when I popped up to see my partner” story, and that would result in a note in the cabin crew member’s file and a meeting with their line manager.

Particularly for those just starting their career, it may be a case of self-preservation rather than inaction - i.e. the crew will usually only choose to deal with situations they can win the battle on.
although realistically sounds like said CSM
might now be getting a complaint that they failed to do anything about a self upgrader? Swings and roundabouts I suppose

besides, I thought the conclusion of the “can I take teaspoons etc off the plane?” thread was that the crew weren’t able to authorise theft (of goods or services)?

(ducks)
MSPeconomist and alex67500 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:13 pm

Why someone demonstrating a clear lack of authority and ability to deal with confrontation occupies a managerial role is beyond me.

I understand situations can be complex and judgement calls need to be made, but this case seems rather unambiguous.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If it disturbs you, write a short note to BA.

You have effectively already identified the individual as there was presumably only one CSM on the flight and you have provided that (the 08:05 LHR-TLV for those who haven't committed the BA schedule to memory).
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer

Regardless of career position anyone not dealing with this is really no sort of manager, and frankly if fear of complaint is their reason they’re simply not capable of a managerial role. If you believe a self upgrader is a situation a CSM can’t win, you must have a very low opinion of the people in that position.

I may be well wide of the mark but I assume a CSM would have several years experience in the cabin, albeit in other roles, and presumably have completed training.

At face value this is a tale of confrontation avoidance by someone paid to manage situations just like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.