Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CSM attitude to 'self upgraders'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Also seen this on LCCs where upfront seats cost. They usually site 'aircraft balance' as the reason people need to get back to their assigned seats.
The times I have seen was on Air Asia and they point blankly told the passengers they are premium paid seats and they have to pay extra if they want to sit down. The passengers were sent back with no nonsense.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Unless this passenger was disturbing you in some way, isn't this clearly in the MYOB realm? Seriously...
but that’s key is nt it.
In one form or another they WILL disturb - like take an an unplanned share of the F&B for that cabin, for example, especially where catering is tight.
ignoring it only encourages the perpetrator to try again.
Next up you’ll find the same person in your paid for seat, arguing for you to sit elsewhere as it is easier for them.
Personally, have encountered this after being one of the last to board to find someone else (trying it on from traveller) in 62K in Club at JFK - at which point they’ve opened the blankets and got their grime over the pillow etc - ie disturbance.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
if the OP knows the name of the CSM, we could let everyone know that flies BA to look for her and just take whatever seat they want.
(just kidding of course)
But it would and does bother me, if someone just grabs a seat in the cabin they have not paid for, unless directed by the crew.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by dav662
The times I have seen was on Air Asia and they point blankly told the passengers they are premium paid seats and they have to pay extra if they want to sit down. The passengers were sent back with no nonsense.
given there seems to be a tend of this on BA, and as BOB can accept cards I don’t understand why BA does nt offer CSMs the route to have a ‘pay or move’ discussion: say move or pay a flat £950 charge to self upgrade in CE, £2,500 for WTP and say £5,000 in Club?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
That is no excuse, I have never been reprimanded for dealing with things that I’m paid to deal with, if I had dealt with this situation it would have been fully reported to CR in preparation for any complaints that followed.
7 pages thereafter - your informed and in my experience relevant answers here - I hope you continue here for those of us who actively travel BA and appreciate your candour/commitment
thanks
T
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
The lost revenue, as I see it, is not necessarily directly from that event. I agree... it is unlikely that any one event would result in lost revenue on that occasion. The lost revenue would come from others seeing that this strategy is successful and so it is quite possible that that perpetrator, or an observer nearby, might take a chance on not buying the higher grade ticket in future in the hope they would be successful in self-upgrading. Of course, they would need to accept that they might not be successful but the savings are so large and there being very little (or no) penalty for trying, I could imagine some people trying it on if it looked like it had any chance of success. Flygirl68 says that she has not seen it succeed but surely that is because of observant and competent crews and possibly assisted by passengers bringing it to their attention. I am simply saying that if we don't continue to bring this behaviour to attention of the crew then there will be an increasing chance of success.
Thanks for the reply, and for clarifying the nature of your argument. If I may focus - at least initially - on the possibility of lost revenue, you've laid out a hypothetical scenario where that could occur.

However, I can't see how we could actually get to such a scenario. Firstly, I would disagree that there is little or no penalty for trying to adopt the strategy under discussion. It carries a very real risk of being unsuccessful - the next cabin may be sold out, and even if it is not, it relies upon the act being unnoticed (or not acted upon) by crew. In such cases, our sneaky traveller does suffer a penalty, namely travelling in a lower cabin than the one they wanted (and if they weren't prepared to pay for that desired cabin, there can be no loss of revenue)

More simply, it would require crew to routinely overlook self-upgraders - given the way BA actively protects the integrity of its travel classes (c.f. no space available upgrades to elites) I cannot see this occurring. Certainly the occasional individual may manage to pull it off successfully, but while they remain very much the exception, the lost-revenue argument still seems weak to me.

(If people were routinely doing this successfully, I agree that changes things dramatically)

It's an interesting topic, as others have noted.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
This is an interesting thread!

I wonder if the class someone sneaks in to makes a difference to whether or not people find it acceptable / unacceptable? Is it OK and a bit cheeky to go from WT to WTP, but for the same person to go to CW or F would be taking the proverbial? Does it make a difference if you pay for your flights or not?

Would you change your mind if you'd set your heart on a particular menu item, and the last plate of it went to someone you had seen sneak in to the cabin but hadn't been spotted by the crew?

Me personally, I don't think I'd feel as aggrieved in WTP as I would be in F. I pay a lot of money to fly First or Club World, and it's my money not a super-generous company travel policy, so I would be pretty peeved if it became something that people just did because they knew they could get away with it, therefore I would flag to the crew if I saw someone do it.
Personally I don't think it makes the least bit of difference which class you're upgrading from / to. I'd be just as annoyed sitting in WT+ to have someone self-upgrade from WT as I would be if I was in Club and someone decided unilaterally to move themselves up a cabin from WT+

At the end of the day the self-upgrader is benefitting from sitting in a higher cabin for which they haven't paid - irrespective of whether the benefit be a better seat, more legroom, better food and drink, better ratio of crew etc.

I also think that a lot of people (including me) pay a lot of money to fly WT+ over WT and for them it's the same value proposition as deciding to fly F instead of J. Whether it's corporate money or personal funding is neither here nor there either.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:41 am

I got chatting to a guy at the gate queue once who was brazenly telling everyone around him that he always books the front row of premium economy so that he can easily move himself into an empty business seat after take off.

I was in the last row of business on that particular flight and he didn't even wait until after push back to self-upgrade, but got short shrift from the crew and went back straight away.

He actually came through twice more during the flight. The second time I grassed on him just for the fun of watching him get kicked out yet again, and got dagger looks as he was ejected, this time by the Captain 😊
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
I got chatting to a guy at the gate queue once who was brazenly telling everyone around him that he always books the front row of premium economy so that he can easily move himself into an empty business seat after take off.

I was in the last row of business on that particular flight and he didn't even wait until after push back to self-upgrade, but got short shrift from the crew and went back straight away.

He actually came through twice more during the flight. The second time I grassed on him just for the fun of watching him get kicked out yet again, and got dagger looks as he was ejected, this time by the Captain 😊
Someone like that is not oportunist, it is a pre meditated and planned act.
The fact he then tried again.

he should be banned from flying on One World airlines for a year of so

if he is flying on company expenses, imagine trying to explan to his boss that he can't attend the business meeting
mgreg and snaxmuppet like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:17 pm

Nobody saying anything is the same reason people feel it is reasonable to listen to their music or videos without headphones, take loud speakerphone calls in lounges, etc.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by mctaste
Nobody saying anything is the same reason people feel it is reasonable to listen to their music or videos without headphones, take loud speakerphone calls in lounges, etc.
yep. Ban then as well. 😂😂
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by mikem004
What is the point in BA having travel classes if they are not strictly and fairly observed?
Such a incident must be deflating to those passengers who have paid full fare for an enhanced travel class, such as World Traveller Plus.
Exactly. I think from now on I'll buy economy tickets snd upgrade myself to first.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:26 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Unless this passenger was disturbing you in some way, isn't this clearly in the MYOB realm? Seriously...
Anybody on this forum that says that this behaviour is MYOB realm should be banned from making complaints about BA 'enhancements'.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
A person who self-upgrades doesn't steal from you. The seat is unoccupied and any revenue potential is lost upon take-off unless the cabin crew decides to charge the upgrader on the spot which in this case they didn't. The airline doesn't make any money if it forces the wayward seat stealer back to his assigned location.
You have completely ignore the point I made about the loss being in the future.

This is a pallid justification to intrude in a matter that is none of your business because you are resentful someone else took the initiative and got something for free that you paid for.
They haven't used initiative... they have taken something for which they haven't paid - i.e. stolen. I am not resentful of thieves taking things they shouldn't have!

Do you do the same at the theater, sporting events, concerts when someone moves forward to get a better seat?
No one should steal regardless of who it is from.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
So you are saying they are "cheapening" the experience?
Then aren't horrible FAs also "lost revenue?" These observant cabin crew, are they attentive and also treat customers very well?
And dirty seats?
Oh, if you want to go that far, isn't BA losing lots of revenue for not charging for every ancillary fee like the LCCs? From what I understand people don't fly BA because they want to, it is because there is no (reasonable) choice.
No I am not saying that at all. I am saying that they are burdoning themselves on the crew and other passengers without paying for the privilege like everyone else.

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Thanks for the reply, and for clarifying the nature of your argument. If I may focus - at least initially - on the possibility of lost revenue, you've laid out a hypothetical scenario where that could occur.

However, I can't see how we could actually get to such a scenario. Firstly, I would disagree that there is little or no penalty for trying to adopt the strategy under discussion. It carries a very real risk of being unsuccessful - the next cabin may be sold out, and even if it is not, it relies upon the act being unnoticed (or not acted upon) by crew. In such cases, our sneaky traveller does suffer a penalty, namely travelling in a lower cabin than the one they wanted (and if they weren't prepared to pay for that desired cabin, there can be no loss of revenue)

More simply, it would require crew to routinely overlook self-upgraders - given the way BA actively protects the integrity of its travel classes (c.f. no space available upgrades to elites) I cannot see this occurring. Certainly the occasional individual may manage to pull it off successfully, but while they remain very much the exception, the lost-revenue argument still seems weak to me.

(If people were routinely doing this successfully, I agree that changes things dramatically)

It's an interesting topic, as others have noted.
It is interesting...

It isn't routine because pressure is put on the CC to spot it and stop it... by the airline and by other passengers. My argument is that if we don't help CC to do this (let's face it... they are busy!) then there is a danger of it becoming more routine that it is missed. I do agree... while it is at the rate it is now the lost revenue argument does not really apply much but I think that we all should beware of it becoming more common when significant revenue might be lost.

The argument that the revenue is lost as soon as the doors close is not true... the seat revenue might not be recoverable for that flight but a self-upgrader could easily consume champers, eat the better food and use the bedding... all of which costs BA where it wouldn't have if the seat was empty for the flight.

I do find this discussion turning rather distasteful. I find that I am now defending what I call reasonable behaviour and arguing against criminal behaviour with people that seem to think it OK to steal services they haven't paid for. So I am now out of this discussion. I have made my point though and I value the chance to discuss it
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by hb133
Sat in WT+ this morning on BA165 and along comes a lady who sits in the row behind me, immediately summons the crew and says 'my husband tried to upgrade but was told there were no seats - the row is empty, can he sit here?' Crew said they'd ask the 'manager' and get back to her.
Should be dead simple. Crew comes back with credit card machine "I'll just need your card to run through for the upgrade".
mgreg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.