Wiki Posts
Search

CSM attitude to 'self upgraders'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:18 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I am impressed with the number of caring and committed BA passengers who are so concerned about the economic viability of their favourite airline that they self-appoint themselves seat monitors. They are ready to pounce when interlopers attempt to financially undermine their carrier of choice by moving into a cabin for which they have not paid. Perhaps they should form a little club like "Neighbourhood Watch" or "Community Patrol."
"Seat Sorters" would work or a take on that old favourite "Milk Monitor" usually applied to self-appointed / self righteous jobsworth types. "Seat Monitor"
Badenoch likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:25 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Misco60
You know that, and I know that. But we shoudn't over-estimate the knowledge that the casual flyer has about BA and its product and procedures. I quite often travel with once-a-year flyers and, quite simply, they simply don't know these things. I don't agree that the plastic divider is obvious - or, if it is, that its purpose is obvious - to someone who usually only flies with single-class airlines.

It's quite possible, of course, that the "self-upgrader" referred to above knew exactly what he was doing, but in the absence of further information it shouldn't be assumed.
I agree on this. I usually fly BA where possible but also use U2 alot, particularly when they are something like £25 one-way Milan to LON but BA want £150+ on the same day. Alot pf pax (me included) choose to board towards the end of the process with U2 because you can often grab a free seat much closer to the front than the one allocated. As I don't usually pay for any specific seat my allocated one is usually backwards of row 15 but 50% of times I am able to grab a seat in row 2 or 3 so of the plane. Invariably there is no one next to me either if the flight is <80% full as U2 tend to fill up the back first with all those who do not pay for a seat allocation.

So if this chap in question on the flight from MAN is a regular on U2 or FR then a perfectly possible situation
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am impressed with the number of people that have appointed themselves as Busy Body Monitors on the forum. They have taken it on themselves, out of the goodness of their hearts, to protect the rights of us all to behave as we like whether it affects others or not and whether we are stealing from BA or not. I was on the side of "thou shall not steal" and "do not lust after thy neighbours seat" but after hearing the compelling argument some here have so eloquently put I am now considering a change of sides to... "do as you want and if it affects others then I don't give a $^!&" and the "take what you want whether you have paid for it or not" persuasion. Not sure my wife would approve or any of my family or friends but hey! You have to do what you have to do especially if it goes against accepted norms, respect of others and standards of good behaviour.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I am impressed with the number of people that have appointed themselves as Busy Body Monitors on the forum. They have taken it on themselves, out of the goodness of their hearts, to protect the rights of us all to behave as we like whether it affects others or not and whether we are stealing from BA or not. I was on the side of "thou shall not steal" and "do not lust after thy neighbours seat" but after hearing the compelling argument some here have so eloquently put I am now considering a change of sides to... "do as you want and if it affects others then I don't give a $^!&" and the "take what you want whether you have paid for it or not" persuasion. Not sure my wife would approve or any of my family or friends but hey! You have to do what you have to do especially if it goes against accepted norms, respect of others and standards of good behaviour.
They are out there. Somewhere out there someone is sitting in the wrong seat, standing too close to the baggage carousel, sneaking another drink from the self-serve dispenser, pinching a BA fork, standing on the left side of the escalator or committing some other grievous outrage that undermines our orderly society and courts the financial ruin of airlines, corporations and even our governments. Were it not for the nosey parkers, prigs and officious busybodies who remain ever vigilant the very fabric of modern society would be torn to shreds.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
"Seat Sorters" would work or a take on that old favourite "Milk Monitor" usually applied to self-appointed / self righteous jobsworth types. "Seat Monitor"
Now, it'll be very interesting to see if there is any sort of correlation between the tight self righteous types and the live-and-let-live types with the Brexiteers and the Remainers!!!
Just a thought!!!
BOH likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:25 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Were it not for the nosey parkers, prigs and officious busybodies who remain ever vigilant the very fabric of modern society would be torn to shreds.
Have you ever been to Switzerland?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Have you ever been to Switzerland?
I once saw a Q jumper at customs in Zurich, who said "I'm gonna be late for my plane" to the border guard, be marched by said guard, who got out of the booth, and made him ask every person in the line (about 20) if it was ok if he skipped the Q. lolol!!!
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
They are out there. Somewhere out there someone is sitting in the wrong seat, standing too close to the baggage carousel, sneaking another drink from the self-serve dispenser, pinching a BA fork, standing on the left side of the escalator or committing some other grievous outrage that undermines our orderly society and courts the financial ruin of airlines, corporations and even our governments. Were it not for the nosey parkers, prigs and officious busybodies who remain ever vigilant the very fabric of modern society would be torn to shreds.
On the other hand, if we all follow the rules and do not pinch a BA fork or get some food from the lounge to eat later i am sure AC and his team will start offering us 'delicious assortment of fine foods' and 'luxurious seats' etc etc. The idea that the system is there and protect everyone if you follow it is totally wrong but that is another conversation. The airlines situation is a bit dog eat dog one. Most airlines keep removing benefits from passengers, making the planes more and more uncomfortable in the name of profit. But again another conversation.

p.s i do agree in principle that changing seats ( self upgrading) is wrong but if we start discussing it what is right and what is wrong here the argument can get very blurry.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Why is a passenger involved in this? Reporting apparent seating problems to the crew and then talking to the person actually involved?

Good luck to the up-grader; is not getting something out of airlines what FT and many other sites are all about?
Reread the post, the CSM was the one who spoke with the man, not the OP who snitched.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: BA, KLM, Alitalia
Originally Posted by ermis177
On the other hand, if we all follow the rules and do not pinch a BA fork or get some food from the lounge to eat later i am sure AC and his team will start offering us 'delicious assortment of fine foods' and 'luxurious seats' etc etc. The idea that the system is there and protect everyone if you follow it is totally wrong but that is another conversation. The airlines situation is a bit dog eat dog one. Most airlines keep removing benefits from passengers, making the planes more and more uncomfortable in the name of profit. But again another conversation.

p.s i do agree in principle that changing seats ( self upgrading) is wrong but if we start discussing it what is right and what is wrong here the argument can get very blurry.
It is not as blurry as some in this post pretend it is. It is actually very straight forward, you pay for a seat and you get assigned a seat, you sit in the seat. Take it or leave it. If you don't like an airlines changing policies don't fly with them, again nothing blurry here. Cabin crew let it slip because they can't handle the entitled .......s who will rip into them when they get confronted with their selfish behaviour and that is very sad state of affairs.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Crismyth
It is not as blurry as some in this post pretend it is. It is actually very straight forward, you pay for a seat and you get assigned a seat, you sit in the seat. Take it or leave it. If you don't like an airlines changing policies don't fly with them, again nothing blurry here. Cabin crew let it slip because they can't handle the entitled .......s who will rip into them when they get confronted with their selfish behaviour and that is very sad state of affairs.
So you are saying if you take your seat, and crew tells you to move, you should stay in your seat. Because it isn't blurry at all?
I guess Dr. Dao wouldn't have happened in the UK because it works differently there.
ermis177 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
When I was at school the milk monitor was some one in an important position. They ensured you got your third of a pint which was needed for good health and strong bones.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:40 pm
BOH

There was an attempt today by a self-upgrader on my ex-LGW SH flight today, handled very well by the CSM. Shortly after the seat-belt sign went off a bloke came up and plonked himself in 3D (I was in 1A do hadn't noticed it until I heard the CSM suddenly become quite assertive).

"Sir, you cannot sit there, it is not permitted" she said from near row 1. He replied with a pretty feeble, "errr, umm am looking for my....." and I didn't hear the rest because he started mumbling after realising he had been caught but remained seated. The CSM repeated it again with...."SIR you will have to go back to your assigned seat, you cannot sit there", and rather sheepishly he got up and went back.

He was very young though so probably just a bit of a chancer....but the CC were having non of it
EDIwanderer and AJA_ like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.