Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CSM attitude to 'self upgraders'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by GM1985
I’m flying to the US next week in Y (company policy mandated, sadly, not my choice). Currently the flight is looking pretty busy in Y & W, seats still going a-begging in J & F.

By this logic, there should be no issue with me waiting for the meal service to finish, then finding a nice spare J or F seat to settle in to for the rest of the flight. I mean, the seat has no more economic value so why not?

Who fancies my chances? What if I tell the crew that someone on the internet said it was ok, and they’re part of the airlines PR department and it’s not worth alienating me

Hey, if you run into a flight attendant in a good mood and a healthy sense of humor you'll probably be upgraded with a laugh and a glass of champagne!
In a bad mood, the plane may be diverted to Reykjavík, you'll be arrested, and spend some nights in an ice jail!!!
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:19 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jimbous
Hey, if you run into a flight attendant in a good mood and a healthy sense of humor you'll probably be upgraded with a laugh and a glass of champagne!
In a bad mood, the plane may be diverted to Reykjavík, you'll be arrested, and spend some nights in an ice jail!!!

You're joking, right?

I find it kind of funny that some of the people saying NOYB are the ones that moan about service standards dropping. If people think they can sit where they want, why bother paying for it?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
You're joking, right?

I find it kind of funny that some of the people saying NOYB are the ones that moan about service standards dropping. If people think they can sit where they want, why bother paying for it?
He was obviously joking when he said that empty seats in the premium cabins have no economic value.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:47 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks to the OP for reporting what he/she heard and observed.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jimbous
This could be a win-win. Beautiful Reykjavík (even if it is in an ice jail) is infinitely more preferable to the dreary destination I’m heading to. There appears to only be two setbacks with this:

My employer may take a very dim view of this.

If recent posts on meal service length are to be believed, we’ll have long passed Iceland by the time the meal service is over

Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
We had a self-upgrader on BA1402 LHR-MAN yesterday. He casually plonked himself down into the last row of CE during boarding and the CSM noticed before take-off. He was politely dispatched down to his assigned seat in row 25 (or thereabouts) with minimal fuss - good work!
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Crofton138
We had a self-upgrader on BA1402 LHR-MAN yesterday. He casually plonked himself down into the last row of CE during boarding and the CSM noticed before take-off. He was politely dispatched down to his assigned seat in row 25 (or thereabouts) with minimal fuss - good work!
To be fair, it is probably not apparent to an infrequent flyer that the front rows are business class, especially not before take-off when the curtain is drawn back. He might simply have seen an empty seat in what looked like economy class and decided it was better than his assigned seat way down the back.
MarkFlies likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Misco60
To be fair, it is probably not apparent to an infrequent flyer that the front rows are business class, especially not before take-off when the curtain is drawn back. He might simply have seen an empty seat in what looked like economy class and decided it was better than his assigned seat way down the back.
Really???

That plastic divider that the curtain attaches to is pretty obvious, as is the curtain, even when it is drawn back.

it's also right between the seats that demarcate the two cabins in the very row that the passenger sat in. You'd have to pretty blind not to see it.

Besides that since BA operates a seat assignment system, I.e. it's not a free for all to sit in anywhere you choose, that person assumes that no one else is going to arrive afterwards to sit in the now occupied seat.
Crofton138 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by AJA_
That plastic divider that the curtain attaches to is pretty obvious, as is the curtain, even when it is drawn back.

it's also right between the seats that demarcate the two cabins in the very row that the passenger sat in. You'd have to pretty blind not to see it.

Besides that since BA operates a seat assignment system, I.e. it's not a free for all to sit in anywhere you choose, that person assumes that no one else is going to arrive afterwards to sit in the now occupied seat.
You know that, and I know that. But we shoudn't over-estimate the knowledge that the casual flyer has about BA and its product and procedures. I quite often travel with once-a-year flyers and, quite simply, they simply don't know these things. I don't agree that the plastic divider is obvious - or, if it is, that its purpose is obvious - to someone who usually only flies with single-class airlines.

It's quite possible, of course, that the "self-upgrader" referred to above knew exactly what he was doing, but in the absence of further information it shouldn't be assumed.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I did a quick search of images of BA aircraft interiors and this came up::

https://www.businesstraveller.com/ne...seat-roll-out/

it's an article on BA roll out of changes to short haul seats but it very nicely has an image taken from CE looking towards ET and shows the divider and curtain. It also shows that the CE seats have headrest covers while ET seats do not. Even a first time traveller can see they are different.

Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by AJA_
Even a first time traveller can see they are different.
We can agree to disagree; it's really not worth arguing over.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Not trying to stir up this thread anymore than necessary, but a few years ago on a Dublin to London City flight, I happily received a gate upgrade to Club Europe. The previous flight had been cancelled, so the flight was heaving. While sitting in my seat, I noticed the FA counting passengers and looking perplexed. He finally approached a passenger sitting in the aisle seat across from me, and asked to see his boarding pass. The passenger was not ticketed for the cabin and was supposed to be many rows back. The passenger whined that the flight was very full and this appeared to be an empty seat, so he grabbed it. The FA patiently explained that it was for Club passengers only. Grumpy passenger continued to argue and said that he was an AA Platinum, a CEO of a company, etc. etc.

At this point, the FA told the passenger he could keep his seat, but he would not be provided with any food or refreshments.

Later in the flight, while I was munching my salad and sipping my champagne, I noticed the grumpy CEO giving me a death look, as everyone seemed to be partaking of the liquid hospitality with much enthusiasm. As promised by the FA, he was not given any food or drink.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
On a flight to JED a few years ago in a very empty WT+ cabin with a very full WT cabin, there was an older couple a few rows behind me and the CC looked very confused as to why they were there, having only expected 3 people in the cabin. He approached them and asked to see their boarding passes and then explained that they were meant to be in WT and politely asked if they would move back to their allocated seats. It was all done very politely and the couple were at first very confused as they thought they were in the right seats but understood once it had been explained properly.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:00 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Surely BA have established procedures for dealing with self-upgraders and cabin crew are trained in those procedures?
If so, there should be a simple and consistent response to any self-upgraders, on all BA flights: If you are not ticketed for this seat, get out and return to your allocated seat.
None of this "you can sit here, but we won't feed you" , or "if the FA is in a good mood, you might be able to stay".
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I am impressed with the number of caring and committed BA passengers who are so concerned about the economic viability of their favourite airline that they self-appoint themselves seat monitors. They are ready to pounce when interlopers attempt to financially undermine their carrier of choice by moving into a cabin for which they have not paid. Perhaps they should form a little club like "Neighbourhood Watch" or "Community Patrol."
rickg523 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.