Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CSM attitude to 'self upgraders'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Virgin Flying Club Red; IHG Spire
I'm just returning to this thread after a day of meetings...

A few observations / replies:

Why is a passenger involved in this? Reporting apparent seating problems to the crew and then talking to the person actually involved?
I didn't ever engage with the person involved. The CSM after I spoke with her spoke to the passenger behind me and then updated me with his response (!)

there was a change in aircraft. is this part of the reason the couple were split Up?
If there was a change in aircraft, it was to an identical configuration as the number of seats in each class remained the same (except potentially for all I know in F). The lady in the couple (with the PE reservation) made it clear that she'd tried to get an upgrade for the husband but couldn't - I don't believe they were ever split up but most likely on different tickets.

did he benefit from any higher class of meal or drinks? did he return to his allocated seat for landing?
He self-upgraded after the meal and remained there for the rest of flight including landing.

Unless this passenger was disturbing you in some way, isn't this clearly in the MYOB realm? Seriously...
This is the reason why I brought it up with the CSM in the first place - the passenger used my seat to pull himself in / out (disturbing me) and before sitting, had a long conversation with his wife standing effectively over me, with his arm on the top of my seat. The CSM told me that I should 'feel free to recline my seat as I liked...'
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I do find this discussion turning rather distasteful. I find that I am now defending what I call reasonable behaviour and arguing against criminal behaviour with people that seem to think it OK to steal services they haven't paid for. So I am now out of this discussion. I have made my point though and I value the chance to discuss it
Not limited to the BA experience unfortunately as the recent “Whatever is not nailed down” thread showed.

The way AA CC log the Bose headphones from BusinessFirst back into a locked cart approx 50 mins before landing feels like an episode of Porridge. Presumably it really is necessary to avoid losses. God help you if you are logged as having received a pair at the beginning of the flight in error...
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by CZBB
Should be dead simple. Crew comes back with credit card machine "I'll just need your card to run through for the upgrade".
They used to do this at BMI.... I witnessed this once in operation on CAI-LHR when 2 self upgraders plonked themselves down in PE. The SCCM gave them plenty of warnings to move. After they ignored and we'd taken off, he dually appeared at their seats with the card machine much to their disgust.

I'm not sure BA's flakey technology is up to the job of seeing this one through however. Having purchased £200 worth of highlife shop items last year on a flight to Antigua where the transaction went through just fine, it wasn't until arriving at our hotel that I realised I'd handed over a voided card on board and received a text from my card issuer to say someone was trying to use my old card. They weren't prepared to approve the transaction either even though I'd explained the situation was my error. Obviously once I had contacted BA Highlife Shop to explain, they were only too happy to retake the payment, however I wonder how many people in that situation would have done the same?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DFB_london
but that’s key is nt it.
In one form or another they WILL disturb - like take an an unplanned share of the F&B for that cabin, for example, especially where catering is tight.
ignoring it only encourages the perpetrator to try again.
Next up you’ll find the same person in your paid for seat, arguing for you to sit elsewhere as it is easier for them.
Personally, have encountered this after being one of the last to board to find someone else (trying it on from traveller) in 62K in Club at JFK - at which point they’ve opened the blankets and got their grime over the pillow etc - ie disturbance.
I’ve been in the situation where a self upgrader (kind of) stopped me getting a meal. I was in the last row of WTP in the A seat. The middle of this row was a family of 4 (2 kids) with grandparents in WT. The grandfather swapped with one of the children, and I was served food last to be told there were no meals left. The grandfather had obviously taken an adult meal (mine) instead of the child’s meal intended for that seat. I highlighted this to the crew, which resulted in me getting a meal from CW, but it didn’t result in the man getting booted back to his seat.
mgreg likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:03 pm

I witnessed a mass self upgrade on a Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt to Jeddah last Nov. I was sat in the last economy row (window seat with an empty seat next to me) behind premium economy. Just as the plane started to move from the gate, a pilgrim decided to self upgrade from the economy seats behind me and into Premium Economy. He then pulled out his phone and called his fellow pilgrims further back in Economy, who all suddenly appeared and took seats in Premium Economy. About 5 minutes later, an FA appeared and said "either you all move back to your original seats or you pay the extra to sit in these seats...", they all opted to high tail it back into Economy. Bloomin' cheek!
mgreg likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by nancypants
Dredging Flyertalk for content? It's literally hearsay!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by CZBB
Should be dead simple. Crew comes back with credit card machine "I'll just need your card to run through for the upgrade".
The £20 handshake is much easier and never fails me.

Stormbel and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by hb133
Sat in WT+ this morning on BA165 and along comes a lady who sits in the row behind me, immediately summons the crew and says 'my husband tried to upgrade but was told there were no seats - the row is empty, can he sit here?' Crew said they'd ask the 'manager' and get back to her.

Halfway through the flight, husband appears and plonks himself next to his wife. When I saw the CSM walking through the cabin later, I mentioned that there was someone sat in the seat behind me who wasn't there when we took off. She said something about it being too much hassle to deal with, at which point I said I'd love to sit in Club or First if there were free seats but recognise that I obviously had to sit where I paid. She agreed with me on the principle (asking me if I'd like to sit in the cockpit!), but did absolutely nothing to send the man back to his paid for seat. Then spoke to the man, who tells her that 'a member of crew said I could sit here' and decided to leave him alone - isn't the CSM meant to be the person in charge on board in these situations?
So:
  • Passenger asked to upgrade to be with companion but was told no despite apparently space being available.
  • Passenger talked to crew in aircraft, explained the above, asked if they could sit with companion and were told a manager would be asked. So they weren't sneaky about it, they actually attempted to do this the proper way.
  • Passenger upgraded himself halfway through the flight. Because the manager or crew never got back to him? Because another crew genuinely told him he could?
  • If the OP's chronology is accurate the CSM talked to him/her about the situation being too much hassle before she even talked to the offender, who only then mentioned being allowed to upgrade by another crew. The latter would have been easily cross checked by the CSM, maybe she did and he was correct and that's why she left him alone. Having gone through the trouble of talking to the crew it doesn't seem likely that the couple would simply have ignored the answer if the crew or manager had refused. But maybe they did...

In any case this is hardly a case of a chancer upgrading themselves on the sly at the first opportunity and trying to get away with it. So while I really do sympathise with people getting upset at someone trying to deliberately take advantage, I don't see that this is definitively the case here. But definitely a case of MYOB. If the OP overheard the conversation about the previous upgrade attempt and the request to the crew, why assume that the passenger upgrading themselves did it without approval and why report them? Firstly it shows a sad lack of sympathy for a couple of people trying to sit together (one might need WT+ for mobility reason and with lack of WT+ availability they may have chosen to be initially split in the hope to be reunited via a paid for upgrade at a later stage). Secondly it's substituting yourself for the crew without knowing all the facts, otherwise known as being a busy body.
HilFly and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kruisler
So:
  • Passenger asked to upgrade to be with companion but was told no despite apparently space being available.
  • Passenger talked to crew in aircraft, explained the above, asked if they could sit with companion and were told a manager would be asked. So they weren't sneaky about it, they actually attempted to do this the proper way.
  • Passenger upgraded himself halfway through the flight. Because the manager or crew never got back to him? Because another crew genuinely told him he could?
  • If the OP's chronology is accurate the CSM talked to him/her about the situation being too much hassle before she even talked to the offender, who only then mentioned being allowed to upgrade by another crew. The latter would have been easily cross checked by the CSM, maybe she did and he was correct and that's why she left him alone. Having gone through the trouble of talking to the crew it doesn't seem likely that the couple would simply have ignored the answer if the crew or manager had refused. But maybe they did...

In any case this is hardly a case of a chancer upgrading themselves on the sly at the first opportunity and trying to get away with it. So while I really do sympathise with people getting upset at someone trying to deliberately take advantage, I don't see that this is definitively the case here. But definitely a case of MYOB. If the OP overheard the conversation about the previous upgrade attempt and the request to the crew, why assume that the passenger upgrading themselves did it without approval and why report them? Firstly it shows a sad lack of sympathy for a couple of people trying to sit together (one might need WT+ for mobility reason and with lack of WT+ availability they may have chosen to be initially split in the hope to be reunited via a paid for upgrade at a later stage). Secondly it's substituting yourself for the crew without knowing all the facts, otherwise known as being a busy body.

Finally, a poster who makes sense in this thread!!!
Unless the upgrader came over and sat next to you or on your lap, show some sympathy/empathy, sit back, relax, sip on your beverage, enjoy your meal, see the in-flight movie, and ENJOY your flight.
Life is just too short to be bothered with these kind of distractions, moreover getting so upset/bothered to come to a forum and vent is a bit over the top in my humble opinion!!!

As far as the "theft of service" is concerned, after the plane takes off the economic value of ANY empty seat is ZERO, and if the "upgrader" took advantage of the upgraded meal/drink that's between him and the crew. If he does not take advantage of these, as this person did not, there is no theft of service, the seat he sat on had the economic value of zero.

Also, it must be kept in mind that an airplane crew is not only servants and flight safety officers but constitute a VERY important part of an airline's public relations department.
For instance, the cost of the upgraded meal/beverage is definitely NOT worth alienating and losing passengers. Most flight crews will use their discretion on a case by case basis as they should, and as apparently was the case here with this crew .

Chill folks, just chill!!!
Badenoch and Fatdickie like this.

Last edited by jimbous; Jan 28, 2020 at 4:04 pm
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jimbous
As far as the "theft of service" is concerned, after the plane takes off the economic value of ANY empty seat is ZERO, and if the "upgrader" took advantage of the upgraded meal/drink that's between him and the crew. If he does not take advantage of these, as this person did not, there is no theft of service, the seat he sat on had the economic value of zero.
So, everybody, feel free to move on up to the F cabin! It is perfectly OK, just don’t take any food or beverage! Just chill, OK?
Lucanesque and Bellerina like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:13 pm

Read one of the posts here:

https://thegate.boardingarea.com/sel...edium=facebook

"On another flight, a group of five brazenly strolled in to together to the Premium Economy cabin and sat down in the empty seats. After some debate, the crew allowed them to stay BUT they were only given the economy meals…as if that was a punishment?"

It's called crew DISCRETION!!!

Just as one can get a complimentary upgrade by the ground crew before boarding, one can also get a complimentary upgrade by the flight crew in mid-air!!!
Just as the main class passenger has no expectation that he'll be upgraded to a premium class, so the premium class passenger has no expectation that all seats around him will be empty! The ground and flight crews can and do fill those seats as they deem appropriate.

Last edited by jimbous; Jan 28, 2020 at 4:26 pm
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite

Chill? On this board? It's the epitome of "look how important I think I am". You're going to get schooled about how wrong you are wether you like it or not.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:41 pm

Why wait for the cabin crew???? Just move on up!!!! After all, those F seats have no economic value!
flygirl68 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyuk
Chill? On this board? It's the epitome of "look how important I think I am". You're going to get schooled about how wrong you are wether you like it or not.
Hey, I feel pretty important too, I've done the BA Concorde a couple of times in its day!!!
But I would never bother with such petty non-sense.
flyuk likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold

Also, it must be kept in mind that an airplane crew is not only servants and flight safety officers but constitute a VERY important part of an airline's public relations department.
For instance, the cost of the upgraded meal/beverage is definitely NOT worth alienating and losing passengers. Most flight crews will use their discretion on a case by case basis as they should, and as apparently was the case here with this crew .

I’m flying to the US next week in Y (company policy mandated, sadly, not my choice). Currently the flight is looking pretty busy in Y & W, seats still going a-begging in J & F.

By this logic, there should be no issue with me waiting for the meal service to finish, then finding a nice spare J or F seat to settle in to for the rest of the flight. I mean, the seat has no more economic value so why not?

Who fancies my chances? What if I tell the crew that someone on the internet said it was ok, and they’re part of the airlines PR department and it’s not worth alienating me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.