Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

*Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
BA have cancelled all flights to PKX (Beijing/Peking) and PVG (Shanghai Pu Dong) "until 19 April 2020".

BA frequency to HKG has been reduced with effect from 13 February 2020 - see below for further details. From HKG, Cathay is running a heavily reduced schedule to mainland destinations until the end of March.

If you are due to fly to PKX, PVG and your flight is cancelled then you have refund, re-route and rebook options. BA can rebook on to several other airlines.
If you are due to fly to Hong Kong until 1st April you have refund and rebook options.
If you are transiting into mainland China you are also covered as above.
If you are transiting internationally (e.g. LHR-HKG-SYD) you are not able to move your flights, unless they are cancelled anyway.
The latest ba.com update was on 21 February 2020 at 1510.

More information on the advice of Her Majesty's Government about travel and health is on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china

For the Special Administration Regions of Hong Kong and Macao:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/hong-kong
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/macao

Summary from IATA of all travel restrictions due to Coronavirus as added to TIMATIC https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

HKG frequency reductions (as of 1330 on 21 February 2020, all dates inclusive).

LHR-HKG

From Thu 13.02.2020 to Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Tue 18.02.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Tue 10.03.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Mon 27.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 11.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 18.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Sun 24.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).
In addition, on Mon 08.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).

HKG-LHR

From Fri 14.02.2020 to Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Wed 19.02.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Wed 11.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Sun 29.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Fri 01.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 13.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 20.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 27.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).
In addition, on Tue 09.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).

Note: Schedule changes take effect on Sun 29.03.2020 in both directions.

Print Wikipost

*Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
There are delays to implementing some of the key measures in Japan, and many of the actions taken in Hong Kong have yet to be taken in Japan either.
Yes, sanitation is better, but policy-wise, it is a bit on the slow side on many public health issues.
The infrastructure is already heavily built around good sanitation and hygiene.

People are so paranoid, but the sheer number of Chinese tourists here means that the risk is naturally higher.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
There are delays to implementing some of the key measures in Japan, and many of the actions taken in Hong Kong have yet to be taken in Japan either.
Yes, sanitation is better, but policy-wise, it is a bit on the slow side on many public health issues. I'm somewhat familiar with various aspects of their system and it can be rather frustrating.

However, this is taking things too off-topic so I won't continue to engage in discussing the policies there, and instead, bring it back to topic by saying that in Stevie's case, I'd have thought there would be almost zero chance of getting a free change of routing for his ex-Japan flight, unless a new commercial policy is implemented by BA. However, it could well be a safer way of returning to the UK if a lot of direct flights to Europe from Chinese mainland end up being cancelled, and that push people to take the flight ex-HKG for instance.
Didn't consider that - very valid.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by percysmith
I hear what you're saying, but:
Okay, how about an article quoting multiple infectious disease doctors saying masks are not effective:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-so-mysterious

Just encouraging people to:
1. not spend money on something that doesn't work.
2. Use the mask and then because of the mask wearer walks around thinking they are safe and thus increase their risk of exposure. Remember the best defense against Corona is reduced contact with possible carriers.
3. Mask usage also tends to decrease focus on hand washing, the other most important defense, again because the mask makes people feel "safe" when they are in fact still at risk.
4. Finally, the mask after it is worn in a virus laden environment becomes a "virus trap" that you have to handle when you take it off at the end of the day! No guidelines exist for the safe removal and disposal of Corona virus exposed masks, so what then my friend?

All the best.
LTN Phobia and AJA_ like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Modo
From mainland no entry permits, trains and ferries suspended and flights halved according to the BBC - with effect Thursday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51279726
That scuppers me a bit. Looks like I may have to rethink this PVG trip - as I'm on a separate HKG-PVG ticket to my UK-HKG one.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Currently in HKG. Regardless of any proof of efficacy, I would say that 90%+ of people are wearing masks in public, virtually 100% for staff in the airport, hotels etc. Most things are still open apart from well-publicised closures like Disney. The peak tram and Star Ferry are still going but with no queues.

Hoping BA still fly us out in a couple of days!

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
I'd advise just give up on anything business or tourist orientated if you can cancel/rebook.

I need to file corporate and banking stuff for 2019 in Macau - hence my trip. Nowhere was due to open this week until Thursday - and now that looks unlikely for banks or government offices.

Restaurants that may have reopened by now are closed until at least next week.

Just read that Chinese tourists for CNY are down 80%! Yet hotel prices the next few days remain stratospheric for high end joints.
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by mnhusker
Okay, how about an article quoting multiple infectious disease doctors saying masks are not effective:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-so-mysterious

Just encouraging people to:
1. not spend money on something that doesn't work.
2. Use the mask and then because of the mask wearer walks around thinking they are safe and thus increase their risk of exposure. Remember the best defense against Corona is reduced contact with possible carriers.
3. Mask usage also tends to decrease focus on hand washing, the other most important defense, again because the mask makes people feel "safe" when they are in fact still at risk.
4. Finally, the mask after it is worn in a virus laden environment becomes a "virus trap" that you have to handle when you take it off at the end of the day! No guidelines exist for the safe removal and disposal of Corona virus exposed masks, so what then my friend?

All the best.
I'd say that it would probably be more beneficial to learn how to wash hands properly, as many people don't know, than to wear a mask.

False sense of security afforded by masks is problematic. Further, a lot of masks sold aren't very effective.
Also, if people are touching the masks, then they might end up with contaminated hands.
Eyes are possible route of infection too. By then, you could say, where does one stop? (Wearing a full hazmat suit or even a full face shield at airports would probably freak people out a bit )

I'd still carry some masks with me since I have a stash, but I definitely would be avoiding having a false sense of security from them, and if I wear them, I do know how to take them off properly, and to wash my hands properly afterwards... (Disposal is a slight challenge but I'd take the view that thick ziplock bags would be better than nothing.) One proviso - if I do end up with a cough or something, I'd wear a mask to prevent people from unnecessarily worrying, even if I am totally confident of not having anything more nasty than a normal cold (besides it's more effective in stopping transmission of anything from the wear to others than the other way round).

Given the shortage in some areas though, I'd be happily giving a few out to people (crew and passengers) on my next BA flight to keep them going too, if anyone may need them, especially as it'll be to an area where there is a reported shortage.
LapLap, :D! and mnhusker like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 28, 2020 at 7:11 am
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I've read from multiple sources that masks are not ineffective, just not as effective as people assume they are. They are very good at preventing someone transmitting the virus though, as a cough is contained.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Flights to China flight cancelaltion

Has anyone been able to change/cancel any avios-booked partner award flights going to China/Asia? I have two that I would like to cancel but BA said it is not waiving fees/offering refunds. Anyone in the same situation holding out to see if the virus gets worse / BA will waive fees to all of Asia, rather than just Wuhan?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bluegatorade
Has anyone been able to change/cancel any avios-booked partner award flights going to China/Asia? I have two that I would like to cancel but BA said it is not waiving fees/offering refunds. Anyone in the same situation holding out to see if the virus gets worse / BA will waive fees to all of Asia, rather than just Wuhan?
Yes you should wait until a severe travel warning from British authorities or just before the travel commence. Current US has a travel warning to China at level 3 (Wuhan is at its highest Level 4), but not to other part of Asia.

If your ticket is from China or end in China, you may be able to cancel once travel warning is in effective and airline should provide free cancellation. If your ticket is wholly within Asia without touching China, I would say the free cancellation chance is slim.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bluegatorade
BA has announced specific cancellation rules for China including HKG. What did you mean by Asia exactly? There is a lot of space between Wuhan and the Urals.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by flyuk
I've read from multiple sources that masks are not ineffective, just not as effective as people assume they are. They are very good at preventing someone transmitting the virus though, as a cough is contained.
Okay, lets deal with that issue.

Best masks out there are the N95 masks, 0.3 micron filter capability.

But even these fine masks are not effective unless they are fit tested.

Reason is the material is tight so the air flow through it is difficult, meaning the air will tend to flow around the mask as you breathe unless the mask is carefully fitted tight to your face. If the air flows around the mask it of course defeats the purpose of the mask!
Anyone with a beard cannot be fitted for an N95 according to our Infectious Disease staff when I was fitted for mine during the SARS outbreak so I had to shave mine off.

For my "successful" fit, the mask had to almost hurt to wear it was so tight to my face.

So just putting on an N95 and feeling you are "better off" is again a false sense of security and a waste of your money.

All the best.

Addendum:

I forgot to comment on infected people wearing a mask.

Yes, wearing any mask does reduce the spewing of infectious material by these people.

However this is somewhat of an oxymoronic use of a mask as what these people should be doing, especially in the case of the Corona virus, is isolating themselves, instead of being out in public spaces with a mask on!
:D! likes this.

Last edited by mnhusker; Jan 28, 2020 at 8:33 am
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:17 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by mnhusker
Okay, lets deal with that issue.

Best masks out there are the N95 masks, 0.3 micron filter capability.

But even these fine masks are not effective unless they are fit tested.

Reason is the material is tight so the air flow through it is difficult, meaning the air will tend to flow around the mask as you breathe unless the mask is carefully fitted tight to your face. If the air flows around the mask it of course defeats the purpose of the mask!
Anyone with a beard cannot be fitted for an N95 according to our Infectious Disease staff when I was fitted for mine during the SARS outbreak so I had to shave mine off.

For my "successful" fit, the mask had to almost hurt to wear it was so tight to my face.

So just putting on an N95 and feeling you are "better off" is again a false sense of security and a waste of your money.

All the best.
I ordered an N95 mask yesterday, but evidently I'm doomed even if I wear it - which is really something that should be heavily publicised. The media show droves of people in masks, so this monkey went and ordered one. Drat!

Oh well. I think I'll be cancelling my upcoming PVG trip.

Yours,

Bearded Msm
Telecasterman and mnhusker like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by chongcao
Yes you should wait until a severe travel warning from British authorities or just before the travel commence. Current US has a travel warning to China at level 3 (Wuhan is at its highest Level 4), but not to other part of Asia.

If your ticket is from China or end in China, you may be able to cancel once travel warning is in effective and airline should provide free cancellation. If your ticket is wholly within Asia without touching China, I would say the free cancellation chance is slim.
Originally Posted by fruitcage
BA has announced specific cancellation rules for China including HKG. What did you mean by Asia exactly? There is a lot of space between Wuhan and the Urals.

Thanks, I have two reservations - CMB-BKK-HKG on UL/CX, and HKG-PVG on KA, all before 3/31.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
I fall out of the current BA travel advice dates by two days, leaving the UK on 25th February.
We’re travelling to Singapore, then on to HK on 2nd March, returning from HK on 6th March.

All are avios miles redemption, using a 2-4-1 on BA metal to and from the UK along with two separate redemptions out two SG and back from HK
Also a CX redemption between SG and HK again using avios for the 3 of us.

I guess it’s still to early to say, but if Hong Kong becomes a no go, what is the likelihood of moving the CX flight to the day we fly home from HK, not leaving the airport, or flying back from Singapore?

Also I have paid for seat selection, so would that be refundable if the whole trip is cancelled, or just something to suck up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.