Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extinction Rebellion at LCY

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

From the news clips I've seen apart from one or two plonkers they did seem quite a decent bunch of people I have to say. Similar to the type I once met when attending a Glasgow University Hillwalkers slideshow night.

By the way is the guy still stuck to the aircraft or did they eventually unglue him?
David_Doyle likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by bisonrav
This isn't science, it takes science as a starting point and then delivers a typical religious thought process: we will all die unless we repent and make sacrifices. Sound familiar? It's the basis of just about every doomsday cult in history.
That reminded me a quote I heard: "Almost all the world's problems can be solved in one of two ways: With science or a shotgun"
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
I tried a plant based burger in a gluten free bun from a vegan restaurant in Portland. Had it delivered via Doordash so swings and roundabouts...

(tasted like cardboard, not inedible, but 4/10 - never again...)
Gluten free bun is likely to ruin anything. Not had a nice gluten free version of anything as yet (that should contain gluten).

Don't judge all plant based burgers by that one, particularly an American one, there is huge variation. There are some I would never touch, and some I love.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by HIDDY
From the news clips I've seen apart from one or two plonkers they did seem quite a decent bunch of people I have to say. Similar to the type I once met when attending a Glasgow University Hillwalkers slideshow night.

By the way is the guy still stuck to the aircraft or did they eventually unglue him?
G-LCYM was back in action early this morning.
HIDDY and Irreverent Medusa like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
News just in: A man has been charged in connection with an incident at London City Airport on Thursday, 10 October. James Brown, 55, of Magdalen Road, Exeter, has been charged with causing a public nuisance contrary to common law. He is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Saturday, 12 October.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:44 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
News just in: A man has been charged in connection with an incident at London City Airport on Thursday, 10 October. James Brown, 55, of Magdalen Road, Exeter, has been charged with causing a public nuisance contrary to common law. He is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Saturday, 12 October.
Seems somewhat undercharged!
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Markie
Seems somewhat undercharged!
He hadn't broken aviation act I guess as he was rightfully airside with a boarding pass. Criminal damage probably not as the aircraft is back in service. So public order offence is probably the easiest to get him on.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Took DLR and no sign of any protestors
- DLR posse checking tickets at bottom of escalator
- guy checking BPs in queue
- top of queue BP and ID looked at
- then another check 4 ft later at door to terminal
- plenty of police about

I’m now playing “spot the eco warrior” airside - likeliest candidates so far
- the couple in their 70s who looked at security like they never fly, one of whom had a stick (it’s LCY on a weekend, so not the rarest of demographics)
- the ~50 year old guy having breakfast who’s wearing a tweed jacket and tie (trying too hard to pretend he’s the weekday demographic?)

Maybe I should be on the look out for the vegan breakfast crowd? I’m going for the full English so nobody can doubt my earth destroying credentials. Should have added gold tags to my bag...
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments

Special flight for the eco warriors?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Does he feel good?

May I have my coat, please?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I mean, i'm 6ft6 and able bodied, and I don't think I could do it. That's quite a feat. Perhaps he was a paralympic high jumper?
From what I have read, he was an ordinary guy who once in place had a very bad time as he got very cold and very very scared.

Other people may not agree but I admire him for standing up for his principles and for doing something really quite symbolic, and which has drawn all our attention in a non aggressive manner.

I take 100 flights per year including some back to back tier point runs. I also totally support XR’s ambitions

I feel quite uncomfortable as I am having to confront the fact that the way I live my life is not very good for the planet

There feels something not quite right about a world where drugs companies want to sell so many drugs that people get addicted, food companies sell so much food that obesity is a mass problem whilst others starve, that the Amazon is burned to produce more food to make us more obese, and there are so many airlines selling cheap tickets to places that we visit lots of places we don’t always need to go to and where cities complain of over-tourism

Next month I personally have 2 nested day trips to Sofia as a TP run. I have reflected on this and think I shouldn’t do that again and next year I am going to try to get to Gold with just essential flying. Or not go for Gold

i suspect a number of people on this site may struggle with similar dilemmas. Are our own actions negatively impacting the world that our children (if we have them) will grow up in ... ?

I have no children but have concluded that I personally need to change some things I do - maybe even quite radically.

So to this man on the plane ... I say a silent word of thanks for making me think a bit.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
From what I have read, he was an ordinary guy who once in place had a very bad time as he got very cold and very very scared.

Other people may not agree but I admire him for standing up for his principles and for doing something really quite symbolic, and which has drawn all our attention in a non aggressive manner.

I take 100 flights per year including some back to back tier point runs. I also totally support XR’s ambitions

I feel quite uncomfortable as I am having to confront the fact that the way I live my life is not very good for the planet

There feels something not quite right about a world where drugs companies want to sell so many drugs that people get addicted, food companies sell so much food that obesity is a mass problem whilst others starve, that the Amazon is burned to produce more food to make us more obese, and there are so many airlines selling cheap tickets to places that we visit lots of places we don’t always need to go to and where cities complain of over-tourism

Next month I personally have 2 nested day trips to Sofia as a TP run. I have reflected on this and think I shouldn’t do that again and next year I am going to try to get to Gold with just essential flying. Or not go for Gold

i suspect a number of people on this site may struggle with similar dilemmas. Are our own actions negatively impacting the world that our children (if we have them) will grow up in ... ?

I have no children but have concluded that I personally need to change some things I do - maybe even quite radically.

So to this man on the plane ... I say a silent word of thanks for making me think a bit.
I think most people agree there is a genuine issue and their aims are admirable, however their approach and execution is a joke.

I offset all my flights and we have made changes at home, zero plastic, more reusable stuff etc. We can all make a small difference without making dicks of ourselves and inconveniencing others
Markie, wrp96 and kingstontoon like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:03 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by firstlight
He hadn't broken aviation act I guess as he was rightfully airside with a boarding pass. Criminal damage probably not as the aircraft is back in service. So public order offence is probably the easiest to get him on.
Criminal Damage doesn't need actual damage, just a cost to clear it up.
They seem to be prosecuting them all for the most minor thing they can find. Depending on which part of the Public Order Act they are charging him under, it could be imprisonable.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Why don't they go and block all the ports as shipping produces far more CO2 emissions than flying.. Maybe that was they thought they were doing at DOCKlands..
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by SonTech
Why don't they go and block all the ports as shipping produces far more CO2 emissions than flying.. Maybe that was they thought they were doing at DOCKlands..
I'd love to see some kind of calculation of their impact... How much environmental impact they have had directly with these protests..... I'm pretty sure with all the extra police dragged in by diesel car, van, coach, the extra fuel burn of the plane that had to return to the terminal, the old diesel fire engine that probably wasn't even euro 4 compliant they were driving around in, etc etc they have caused more damage than they have prevented.

I'd also like to see if those protestor who travelled by car, diesel train or coach offset their carbon emissions for their journey as some of us who fly a lot fo.

I suspect the result would be somewhat hypocritical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.