FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Extinction Rebellion at LCY
View Single Post
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:29 am
WeLoveSpace

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I mean, i'm 6ft6 and able bodied, and I don't think I could do it. That's quite a feat. Perhaps he was a paralympic high jumper?
From what I have read, he was an ordinary guy who once in place had a very bad time as he got very cold and very very scared.

Other people may not agree but I admire him for standing up for his principles and for doing something really quite symbolic, and which has drawn all our attention in a non aggressive manner.

I take 100 flights per year including some back to back tier point runs. I also totally support XR’s ambitions

I feel quite uncomfortable as I am having to confront the fact that the way I live my life is not very good for the planet

There feels something not quite right about a world where drugs companies want to sell so many drugs that people get addicted, food companies sell so much food that obesity is a mass problem whilst others starve, that the Amazon is burned to produce more food to make us more obese, and there are so many airlines selling cheap tickets to places that we visit lots of places we don’t always need to go to and where cities complain of over-tourism

Next month I personally have 2 nested day trips to Sofia as a TP run. I have reflected on this and think I shouldn’t do that again and next year I am going to try to get to Gold with just essential flying. Or not go for Gold

i suspect a number of people on this site may struggle with similar dilemmas. Are our own actions negatively impacting the world that our children (if we have them) will grow up in ... ?

I have no children but have concluded that I personally need to change some things I do - maybe even quite radically.

So to this man on the plane ... I say a silent word of thanks for making me think a bit.