Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extinction Rebellion at LCY

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Extinction Rebellion at LCY

Just caught up on the news that Extinction Rebellion are targeting a 3 day shut down of LCY from Thursday, 10 October.

Unfortunately I am scheduled to fly from LCY to FLR on Thursday around lunchtime. Can any more experienced flyers help with my options other than arrive early and hope for the best?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Blue, Avios, Accor Basic, IHG Gold
Probably just be patient and await any updates from your airline, the airport or the authorities I imagine. How vital is the flight?

They will struggle to completely shut down an airport in my expectation, but I have no idea what their plans might be.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I live in Westminster and the police have been a lot more aggressive at containing them this time (although they have set up camp in my street..). Given the pre-publicized nature I'd expect them to have limited success shutting it down.
AlanA likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I think the Police will be there in big numbers and the OP will make his flight
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Came home late last night to see loads of police around Smithfield Market
Found out the morning vegans had invaded

Seem to have contained them in the thoroughfare with market stalls and plenty of expensive tents!

The meat market continues around them!
AlanA and thomas199023 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I'm flying out of LCY on Friday, current advice is turn up unless you hear otherwise.

It's such a small airport that hopefully the Met can contain the protestors somewhere they will have minimal effect. Although I did see some comments saying a number of them have bought tickets so they can make it through into the airport to block it from the inside.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:23 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Extinction Rebellion and their yacht have been around LCY for the past month or so.

The Police have been quite patient, and they're pretty prepared - but I would imagine the new threat of disruption will purely be on the roads.

The DLR will likely still feed in and out of LCY.

M
Tottie66 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
They've planned to close down LHR twice (emphasis on planned). I wouldn't worry
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Despite a current police presence, it was a forerunner of this group who chained themselves to LCY’s runway a year or two ago and caused an almighty mess for the day. Unlike LHR or LGW, being surrounded by water makes it a little tougher for security to hold off protestors intend on gaining access to LCY.

Pilot37
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by allturnleft

Seem to have contained them in the thoroughfare with market stalls and plenty of expensive tents!

A bunch of vegans protesting against butchers with meat-cleavers is presumably the only blood sport they haven't banned.
AlanA, AndyFlyer, mrow and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Despite a current police presence, it was a forerunner of this group who chained themselves to LCY’s runway a year or two ago and caused an almighty mess for the day. Unlike LHR or LGW, being surrounded by water makes it a little tougher for security to hold off protestors intend on gaining access to LCY.

Pilot37
A few years back when I used to work opposite LCY, the police had a fast boat in the water ready for action. Whether they would still be quick enough to intercept anyone is another matter.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
A bunch of vegans protesting against butchers with meat-cleavers is presumably the only blood sport they haven't banned.
ROTFLMFAO
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
ROTFLMFAO
Had to look it up!
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by allturnleft

I regularly walk through Smithfield on my way to the office when in London, and even as a dedicated carnivore I find the smell of meat in there rather unpleasant. Hope the vegans enjoyed it!
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Yeah, I think "anti-war protestors getting in the face of construction workers" went out of fashion in the 1970s. I wonder why...

Originally Posted by bhbloke
I'm flying out of LCY on Friday, current advice is turn up unless you hear otherwise.

https://twitter.com/LondonCityAir/st...00397089886209

It's such a small airport that hopefully the Met can contain the protestors somewhere they will have minimal effect. Although I did see some comments saying a number of them have bought tickets so they can make it through into the airport to block it from the inside.
The optics might be hell, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few airlines (and/or the airport) offering lifetime bans for folks doing that. Be nice if they could get LHR and LGW in on the action and exile them to Stansted and Luton...
mradey likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.