Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extinction Rebellion at LCY

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Came home late last night to see loads of police around Smithfield Market
Found out the morning vegans had invaded

Seem to have contained them in the thoroughfare with market stalls and plenty of expensive tents!

The meat market continues around them!
I suspect it became a meet market for some of them as vegans thankfully seem to prefer to hook up with other vegans.

I hope you bought a nice big steak or roast to support the marketplace.
alexwuk likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, please remember this is the BA Executive Club forum, and keep discussions on-topic.

the mod team
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by A P Yu
They've planned to close down LHR twice (emphasis on planned). I wouldn't worry
They successfully closed LCY for a day or so by chaining themselves to the runway before. Here’s hoping their intelligence is better this time and they prevent this from happening.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
The optics might be hell, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few airlines (and/or the airport) offering lifetime bans for folks doing that. Be nice if they could get LHR and LGW in on the action and exile them to Stansted and Luton...
I would have thought that anyone that determined to obstruct an airport in the name of climate change is unlikely to be worried about being put onto a no-fly list....
LCY8737, wrp96 and steveholt like this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I would have thought that anyone that determined to obstruct an airport in the name of climate change is unlikely to be worried about being put onto a no-fly list....
Yes and no. I'm more thinking of "nasty consequences for idiots who didn't think this through fully" [1]. Amending the CoC and suing any pax who do this for the disruption (basically, giving the ER protesters the same sort of treatment that stupid louts on RyanAir/EasyJet can get) might be nice, too. Granted a lot of the legal processes haven't worked their way through, but I'm not hearing too many stories about arrested protesters actually getting hit with heavy fines or more than tag-and-release sentences (though I've gathered that the drone folks may get the book thrown at them).

Also, I'm looking at this from the perspective of tying down future protests (e.g. if someone tries to shut things down once, the next time they show up they're just arrested for being there...as much as they're a lousy tool, perhaps throwing a new equivalent to ASBOs around).

[1] In the US, I remember a story of some anti-war protesters in about 2003 or 2004 who were (a) planning to get arrested and (b) simultaneously asking if they would make it back in time for their bus home.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Thanks for flagging, hadn’t seen this. I’m flying to DUB on Saturday morning but have a return to LHR on separate ticket (family event for the day)

Will keep an eye on things and be ready to ask BA for a Heathrow reroute (or anything with ORC!) - might check my insurance to see if they’d cover a cab in these circumstances...
Old Oct 8, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Came home late last night to see loads of police around Smithfield Market
Found out the morning vegans had invaded

Seem to have contained them in the thoroughfare with market stalls and plenty of expensive tents!

The meat market continues around them!
Has the steak- out concluded?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
seems to have done !

Interesting to see how effective the LCY one will be; or not!

The LHR one didn’t get off the ground literally
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Talking

Are they having a barbeque?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by highlandguy
Just caught up on the news that Extinction Rebellion are targeting a 3 day shut down of LCY from Thursday, 10 October.

Unfortunately I am scheduled to fly from LCY to FLR on Thursday around lunchtime. Can any more experienced flyers help with my options other than arrive early and hope for the best?
Must be a uni reading week for this bunch of entitled middle class wasters. They all seem to have been to posh schools with posh names - getting in the way of people who actually have to work for a living.

I’m sure there is a strong green message to be made but this bunch of what the PM calls crusties are doing it great harm.

With the wider security risk I d suspect LCY will be ready - as will be the holding cells for those that try to interfere in aviation safety.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
No sign of protesters at Smithfields on my run home yesterday - lots of security in hi-viz jackets and lots of refrigerated trucks full of meat waiting to be unloaded.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I think that the protestors' persistence, if they have enough, will ultimately ensure their success. If they're targeting three days of shutdown, I'm confident that after 2½ days they will have ground down the airport's, BA's and other airlines' resistance, and secured their desired shutdown for the remainder of the planned period.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If they're targeting three days of shutdown, I'm confident that after 2½ days they will have ground down the airport's, BA's and other airlines' resistance, and secured their desired shutdown for the remainder of the planned period.
Erm, the normal weekend curfew at LCY starts at 13:00 on Saturdays... So they're going for a 3 days shutdown when the airport is only open for 2 1/2 days anyway. Well thought-out there

Last edited by Irreverent Medusa; Oct 9, 2019 at 10:04 am
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by A P Yu
They've planned to close down LHR twice (emphasis on planned). I wouldn't worry
They couldn't even control a hose last week so I wouldn't expect them to be able to pull anything complicated off....
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:22 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that the protesters' persistence, if they have enough, will ultimately ensure their success.
Success at shutting down LCY not success at their stated aims.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.