Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A distressing embarrassment on BA249 LHR-GIG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A distressing embarrassment on BA249 LHR-GIG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
Most sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation navylad. It sounds very unpleasant.

I was injured and partially paralysed whilst in the forces. Whilst surgery has corrected some of the main ‘structural’ problems, I am left in a situation where I can go from being comfortable to literally bursting for a pee in an instant.

Having tried pads etc I found they were of little help in my situation. Having a ‘Just can’t wait card’ had mixed results, particularly abroad.

However between the spinal injuries unit and my GP I was referred to the clinic at my local hospital, where I have learnt to self-catheterise. When flying on long flights etc now, I have the bag attached to my lower leg. The bag is completely invisible under trousers.

Sure, it was mildly embarassing at first, however it now gives me the confidence to fly, knowing that I won’t have to rush to the loo at the most inconvenient moment or when there is a queue etc and I can go to the loo to safely empty the bag more or less at my leisure.

My fear was always needing to urgently go during severe turbulence when the seat belt signs are on, or on take-off or landing, which is now safely negated with the catheter/bag.

I take a few kits with me whenever I go away.

I appreciate you are not going to be able to get such things before your flight home, but this kind of set-up may help for your future flights?

BM
Thanks for sharing your experience, and sorry to hear of your injuries during your Service albeit that you sound well supported, such things are never easy and take courage and commitment; after I had most of my pancreas out for cancer, I went to Headley Court (precious home of military rehab to those not in the know) and was on the ward with those with significant life-changing trauma injuries and their positive attitude and determination was unbelievable and inspirational.

Sadly, catheterisation isn’t an option in this case as urinating isn’t the issue.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:34 am

Very sorry to hear of this distressing incident navylad. This does sound quite traumatic - I have pm'd you.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well done you for bringing this condition to the attention of the airline as well as the forum. Here's hoping BA will make sure the cabin crew member involved is reminded that such behaviour will not be tolerated in future.

Last edited by HIDDY; Sep 8, 2019 at 12:47 pm Reason: forum instead of airline
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Sounds like a terrible experience; sorry to hear of it.

Was there not an option to just carry on to the CW toilet? Easy to say in hindsight I know but I would have been tempted to steam on and talk about it after I'd been to the toilet.

Good luck in your return journey
Brisbane Road likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Space available upgrade is a decent offer. In terms of actual £ value, it's certainly worth it's weight if you go from WTP > CW. Of course none of this offsets what happened to you but I think that's a decent gesture by BA.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
This doesn't sound like a great experience tbh.

My gut feeling is that you shouldn't have been travelling (notwithstanding the fact that you got a guarantee that you could use the toilet whenever you needed). What if all toilets were occupied when you needed to go? I imagine you'd have found yourself in the same situation. Even if you were at the front of the queue, it's not as if the crew could have thrown someone out of the toilet mid way through their business in order to accommodate you.

If your travel to GIG was urgent and there was no other option for you but to fly then I would certainly have spoken to the CSD on boarding. We all know that you can't trust BA to relay messages to onboard crew.

I hope that your condition improves.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Since you must fly back home, please go to a store that sells products for adult incontinence issues-with the aging population globally this should not be hard to find anywhere in the world. Wear one under your pants on the plane and bring several in your carryon to get you through the flight and also pack some extra clothes in your carryon in case the same issue happens again despite trying to be prepared. The products they make are so good now that no one will notice you are wearing one of these. I have a 90 year old mom so believe me,I know they work really well for her at times. And she gets stress diarrhea quite often.
If time permits, perhaps amending your diet a day or two before you fly may or may not help too?
Good luck getting back home and please let us know if your return flight is better for you.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:30 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome as part of the symptoms of Ankylosing Spondylitis. When it flares up I can go from 0 to urgency in less than 5 minutes, several times a day. So I am completely sympathetic to what happens to you.
There is very little education of the public about all the chronic diseases out there that actually are not that rare, and what it means. Since usually there is also a tendency to automatically assume people are cheating this makes like harder. The CC was simply wrong and I know hindsight is easy, but I do endorse CWS comments, passing her would have been the right thing to do, to explain it after.

i will say this incident should not deter you to travel, quite the contrary. You obviously need to learn to adapt as this is new to you but you can travel with a few twists you will need to make.

Interestingly i will travel with the sunflower lanyard to LHR for the first time this weekend, I will see if it is helpful with the staff.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
@navylad, I’m so sorry to read about your experience. People have given good advice, I only want to add a couple of things.

firstly that the sunflower lanyard is a relatively new thing specific to uk airports. It only tells people you have a hidden ailment but that’s it.

secondly, as someone who’s traveled the last seven years with hidden disabilities, you need to be upfront with what you need. In your case , That means you make the csd aware of what you need, Regardless of whether they’re distracted by other passengers. You matter just as much!
Show them a medical card if it have to but you need to but make them understand in advance.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by stu1985
This doesn't sound like a great experience tbh.

My gut feeling is that you shouldn't have been travelling (notwithstanding the fact that you got a guarantee that you could use the toilet whenever you needed). What if all toilets were occupied when you needed to go? I imagine you'd have found yourself in the same situation. Even if you were at the front of the queue, it's not as if the crew could have thrown someone out of the toilet mid way through their business in order to accommodate you.

If your travel to GIG was urgent and there was no other option for you but to fly then I would certainly have spoken to the CSD on boarding. We all know that you can't trust BA to relay messages to onboard crew.

I hope that your condition improves.
I don't understand how he got that far! Surely while waiting in the security line is more than 15 minutes, and then when you go you'll be at the back of the queue, so never get through?
stu1985 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
First wing can take minutes at the right time
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
@navylad, I’m so sorry to read about your experience. People have given good advice, I only want to add a couple of things.

firstly that the sunflower lanyard is a relatively new thing specific to uk airports. It only tells people you have a hidden ailment but that’s it.

secondly, as someone who’s traveled the last seven years with hidden disabilities, you need to be upfront with what you need. In your case , That means you make the csd aware of what you need, Regardless of whether they’re distracted by other passengers. You matter just as much!
Show them a medical card if it have to but you need to but make them understand in advance.
Thanks, and whilst yes I am aware that the sunflower lanyard has been around only for a couple of years, of which it more recently got introduced to LHR, one would hope that CC received sufficient training (I’m informed you get disability training on an annual basis) to know what it means. This is clearly a lesson that BA could take away and had they put that in their reply, it may of indeed sounded less disingenuous a response, friends are telling me to go down the media route as it is more likely to have a response across the company, but this would also perpetuate the embarrassment.

At the end of the day, I’m not compo hungry, I want to be suitable reassured that my flight back will be less risky of which some of the advice received here will help, but I do think a reasonable response from BA would be to allow me to cut short my holiday by two days in order that I can take them up on their uograde offer and travel with less anxiety.

One could of course take legal action, they have breached the Equality Act after all and get a reasonable pay out to donate to a suitable charity if they are totally unwilling to actually be flexible and supportive in their response.

I’ve asked them to escalate the complaint if necessary outside of CR if they are unable to deal with supporting my safe travel home and will await their response before considering any further action required. I will also speak to the accessibility team again once they are open on Monday (phone line permitting).

With respect to security lines, I was straight through at LHR without any issues (circa 3 minutes) and could have always explained and backtracked to a toilet if required. And I was at the airport 4 hours before the flight, used the facilities on arrival to limit the risk.

Oh and to address the suggestion that I just carry on to the toilet, the )6ft CC (male) was stood wide standard in the aisle shouting, there was no way I could get around him without getting physical, and quick-curffs was the last thing I needed.

Thanks so far for everyone’s understanding (mostly) and suggestions.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by navylad

One could of course take legal action, they have breached the Equality Act after all and get a reasonable pay out to donate to a suitable charity if they are totally unwilling to actually be flexible and supportive in their response.

Doubtful. As a few posters have said here, you're as much to blame knowing full well the condition you found yourself in. If you're not "compo hungry" then drop it. Move on. Chalk it up to experience.
alvinlwh likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Perhaps you should not have flown. Being refused entry to the CW bathrooms is not the real issue here. It's the fact that you need to go within 15 minutes or suffer an accident, and being allowed access would have made little difference if those toilets were also occupied for the 15 minute window you are limited to.
What a ridiculous thing to say and you should be embarrassed of this. Are you suggesting that people who have ANY disabilities should confine themselves to be home bound? Apparently it seems that a person who may require any extra provisions should just stay home, according to your statement.
​​​​​​
A person who suffers from a disability is likely to require some sort of extra provisions, whether it is access whitin a few minutes to a toilet or a lift to take them on an aircraft. We as a society need to make these provisions a reality; not telling them "You're too much of an inconvenience - stay home".
Stez, T8191, wrp96 and 13 others like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by stu1985
Doubtful. As a few posters have said here, you're as much to blame knowing full well the condition you found yourself in. If you're not "compo hungry" then drop it. Move on. Chalk it up to experience.
So a person in a wheelchair should also stay home? They definitely should also be "as much to blame knowing full well the condition that they found themselves in". How ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.