Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Y Pax upgraded by BA staff

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by CX828

When I talk about bringing the cabin "quality down" I'm referring to a CSM sat on the jump seat for most of the flight talking to his wife, the pilots coming down the aisle more than necessary to chat with their family (2-3 times seems normal, 6-8 times seems extreme)....
Fair to say that most paying passengers (whether cash or Avios) would consider this something of an irritation in a cabin where one has expectations of a reasonable level of peace & quiet. Those who are quick to assert that these sort of freebie upgrades should be of zero concern to others (the familiar mind-your-own-business quip), and / or that one should somehow even feel pleased for the beneficiaries, might wish to re-think their perspective (but that’s probably asking a lot ..... !)

It’s a fact of life that the Captain is more or less omnipotent once the doors are closed and in almost all situations that makes total sense. However, that power should not, in itself, be accompanied by a lack of respect for ordinary, ‘non-connected’, passengers.

If a passenger were to come from another cabin to spend (excessive) time chatting to friends & family, they can at least be told by CC to return to their assigned seat. That’s obviously not possible when a Captain or FO happens to be the ‘culprit’ ; all the more reason why a professional standard of behaviour and courtesy is important.

nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by subject2load
Those who are quick to assert that these sort of freebie upgrades should be of zero concern to others (the familiar mind-your-own-business quip), and / or that one should somehow even feel pleased for the beneficiaries, might wish to re-think their perspective (but that’s probably asking a lot ..... !)

Has there been any allegation of a disturbance in the OPs case? No. None. This is classic whataboutery.
IF there was an issue that the upgrades were causing a problem, but that's for a different discussion.

It’s a fact of life that the Captain is more or less omnipotent once the doors are closed ; although that in itself should not be accompanied by a lack of respect for ordinary, non-privileged, passengers.

If a passenger were to come from another cabin to spend (excessive) time chatting to friends & family, they can at least be told by CC to return to their assigned seat. That’s obviously not possible when a Captain or FO happens to be the ‘culprit’ ; all the more reason why a professional standard of behaviour and courtesy is important.
See above. IF there's a disturbance, a subtle word to the SCCM?
nancypants and DeadGiveAway like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:41 am

Fair to say that most paying passengers (whether cash or Avios) would consider this something of an irritation in a cabin where one has expectations of a reasonable level of peace & quiet.
Is peace and quiet unique to J?

What do you think is happening in Y?

Surely the expectation is that passengers and staff are respectful and polite (and staff are reasonably professional) in all cabins, regardless of whether they have been upgraded or not - so I don't think this is connected to the OP's original point.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:49 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Saladman
From what I read I don't think there was any expectation whatsoever. It sounds like (assumption, obviously) that someone asked if there was a possibility of the person getting a better seat and they did. I don't think he expected to buy a discount ticket and then travel in Club!

I'm not flight crew so I can't say, but I assume that the Captain has the absolute right to be able to seat people wherever he likes once the dor is shut?
I don’t think the captain has such commercial powers for reasons other than operational ones. Knowing a mate down the back and moving them up is not an operational reason.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:56 am
Jed

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Still, bit embarrassing complaining about it, much like this whole thread.

Someone got something.
Someone stuck their nose in when it had nothing to do with them.
Someone said something.

Good on the person getting the upgrade.
Embarassing in your eyes perhaps, but I’m glad that I am just confident and upfront. I guess the bottom line is that I’m 20,000 Avios richer for flagging it up to BA, which got me a confirmed long haul J to F upgrade and much better than a silly Flub seat to Madrid!
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Jed

Embarassing in your eyes perhaps, but I’m glad that I am just confident and upfront. I guess the bottom line is that I’m 20,000 Avios richer for flagging it up to BA, which got me a confirmed long haul J to F upgrade and much better than a silly Flub seat to Madrid!
Well done you. You must be so proud.
Jed and alvinlwh like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC brown
Has there been any allegation of a disturbance in the OPs case? No. None. This is classic whataboutery.
IF there was an issue that the upgrades were causing a problem, but that's for a different discussion.

Originally Posted by trueblu
I've already shared my anecdote of "special" treatment within the NHS from more than 15 years ago and I'm not totally against perks. But it's the idea that it should _be the norm_ that I do take exception to.

However, to re-phrase this scenario, imagine the headlines in the Daily Mail "NHS consultants' families always get private rooms when in hospital"...it would be utterly scandalous...and frankly, BA captains earn pretty decent money...they can actually pay for CW tickets for their family should they really want to??

tb
I think most people here given the choice would move their family to a more comfortable seat, providing of course it complies with the staff travel rules.

I see where you are trying to come from with your example. It’s certainly not the case that Captain’s families ALWAYS get upgraded when onboard. As you well know a hospital bed is a very different thing from a seat on an aeroplane and if the upgrade is done within the rules and doesn’t impact fare paying passengers I don’t think any reasonable person would have a problem with it.

As I said in my previous post the perks of using staff travel are balanced with the stress and disappointment of uncomfortable jumpseats and often getting left behind.

I don’t think all BA pilots are as well paid as you think.

Deadgiveaway
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by LHHon
I would take your point if it were a simple case of a lucky operational upgrade, but this is not about good fortune/luck is it? If access to an upgrade is about who you know, that devalues the loyalty programme.
You act legitimately surprised that connections get you perks.
alvinlwh likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
You act legitimately surprised that connections get you perks.
Should try living in the Middle East then. Wasta rules.
alvinlwh likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:53 am

You’ve chosen to link my comments to the OP’s specific case.

But the thread (as is perfectly natural) evolved into broader territory, and I made it clear - via my quote - that I was referring to the experience related by fellow FT-er CX828 ..... who had come back to explain why s/he felt that a number of upgrades on his / her flight had caused the cabin ‘quality’ to be adversely affected. On that aspect, I am sympathetic.

By way of disclaimer, I was fortunate over a period of several years to be the beneficiary of many zero-cost J-F upgrades across a wide variety of long-haul carriers (including BA), so in truth I have little problem when it happens to others - provided it does not cause disturbance or impact on the ability of passengers to enjoy a flight in their booked cabin. There was such an impact for CX828, and I made comments about the role played in this by the flight deck crew and cabin crew concerned. Simple as that.

Perks have always been a divisive subject, in all sorts of scenarios. A well-known Premiership footballer might earn in a single day what many individuals might typically earn in a whole year. Yet we all know who is more likely to be waved through into a nightclub with no requirement to either pay or queue. It’s an unfair world at times ...... just the way things are.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:00 am

You’ve chosen to link my comments to the OP’s specific case.

But the thread (as is perfectly natural) evolved into broader territory, and I made it clear - via my quote - that I was referring to the experience related by fellow FT-er CX828 ..... who had come back to explain why s/he felt that a number of upgrades on his / her flight had caused the cabin ‘quality’ to be adversely affected. On that aspect, I am sympathetic.

By way of disclaimer, I was fortunate over a period of several years to be the beneficiary of many zero-cost J-F upgrades across a wide variety of long-haul carriers (including BA), so in truth I have little problem when it happens to others - provided it does not cause disturbance or impact on the ability of passengers to enjoy a flight in their booked cabin. There was such an impact for CX828, and I made comments about the role played in this by the flight deck crew and cabin crew concerned. Simple as that.

Perks have always been a divisive subject, in all sorts of scenarios. A well-known Premiership footballer might earn in a single day what many individuals might typically earn in a whole year. Yet we all know who is more likely to be waved through into a nightclub with no requirement to either pay or queue. It’s an unfair world at times ...... just the way things are.
Please accept my apologies for mistaking the thread drift in that case.
subject2load likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Jed
Yes, that was me. I have moved on since getting a phone call from a customer service manager at BA around a month later and 20,000 Avios. They verified that if the F (Flub) cabin is deemed closed, staff cannot just put people they fancy up there. That particular thread got closed down by the mods, or else I would have been sure to update this forum.

I'm sorry but that is one of the saddest things I've read here in a while. It was very 'if-I-can't-have-it-then-no one-else-can' of you. And it's even sadder that you got something for 'flagging' to BA's attention something that did not need to be flagged. Something tells me that had it been you who was offered a seat in the otherwise closed cabin you would not have felt so compelled to alert BA about it. I hope the OP here won't write to BA about their annoyance with the two persons having been upgraded.

Wait a few pages - there will be new twists and imagined situations, and we'll forget what the original story was in the first place. I mean - this is the forum that 'fired' AC.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:05 am

Please accept my apologies for mistaking the thread drift in that case.
Hi BlueThroughCrimp - I am more than happy to accept your apologies. And worth me adding that not everyone shows the good grace to revert in the way that you have done, and so promptly.

Thank you ^
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:15 am
Jed

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I'm sorry but that is one of the saddest things I've read here in a while. It was very 'if-I-can't-have-it-then-no one-else-can' of you. And it's even sadder that you got something for 'flagging' to BA's attention something that did not need to be flagged. Something tells me that had it been you who was offered a seat in the otherwise closed cabin you would not have felt so compelled to alert BA about it. I hope the OP here won't write to BA about their annoyance with the two persons having been upgraded.

Wait a few pages - there will be new twists and imagined situations, and we'll forget what the original story was in the first place. I mean - this is the forum that 'fired' AC.

If you are sad that I got 20,000 Avios for flagging to BA, then be sad and accept my condolences- I was quite happy!
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by DeadGiveAway

I don’t think all BA pilots are as well paid as you think.

Deadgiveaway
Perhaps not all, as you say.

CEO Alex Cruz seemed anxious to imply that they are well paid when he quoted a figure (with allowances, bonuses etc) circa £200K.

Do you feel his figure was accurate - or was it perhaps something of a distortion ?

In fairness to AC - and setting aside the ongoing concerns - I don’t think there was a denial (?) by BALPA.

nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.