Wiki Posts
Search

Y Pax upgraded by BA staff

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN***, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Question Y Pax upgraded by BA staff

A short story: flying a great deal on BA WTP, I earn enough Tier Points to maintain Gold, but obviously not a really huge amount of Avios. Imagine my pleasure as I managed to bag a late (only a few days pre-departure) LHR-BKK upgrade to Club World using Avios.
While enjoying the welcome cocktail, 2 passengers - father and daughter - were brought up to the Club World cabin by a crew member. I got into conversation with the father who was seated next to me, who explained that he had been upgraded from World Traveller. I asked if he was BA staff. He said no, but someone who works for him has contacts at BA, and a well-placed phone call resulted in the upgrade after boarding.
Am I just being nasty and petty in feeling rather aggrieved because a) availability for Avios upgrades is notoriously limited even for EC Gold, and b) that I had needed to use my hard-earned Avios for a one-class upgrade, while a phone call to a friend of a friend at BA apparently carries sufficient weight for a freebie 2-class upgrade?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LHHon
Am I just being nasty and petty in feeling rather aggrieved...
Yes.

These others good fortune has not caused you harm.
SK, Dan72, AlanA and 41 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Am I just being nasty and petty in feeling rather aggrieved because a) availability for Avios upgrades is notoriously limited even for EC Gold, and b) that I had needed to use my hard-earned Avios for a one-class upgrade, while a phone call to a friend of a friend at BA apparently carries sufficient weight for a freebie 2-class upgrade?
Yes... If you got the class of travel that you booked then be happy with that. It's the same as worrying what other people paid for the same flights etc.

A good friend of mine managed to get an upgrade from WT to CW on a flight to MIA before. We traveled as a group of 4 and only he moved forward ! Were we worried? Not really
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
I don't think you should be peeved.

Imagine if you got that upgrade how excited it would be.

Also, he might of been bending the truth to try keep you happy or to show off. People don't like to say they paid for an upgrade.

I was upgraded WT to CW from BKK as they had oversold both WT and WT+.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
A
Yup!

But what is the possible link to a & b? They were upgraded on board, when it was too late to use your Avios, or for anyone to use their Avios?

Fundamentally they didn't deny anything to anyone. When BA offer onboard Avios upgrades then you'll have a case.
dddc and alanjhett like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:57 am
Original Poster

I would take your point if it were a simple case of a lucky operational upgrade, but this is not about good fortune/luck is it? If access to an upgrade is about who you know, that devalues the loyalty programme.
dubistokay likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:59 am
Original Poster

They couldn't have paid for the upgrade - they were already seated in Eco.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I would take your point if it were a simple case of a lucky operational upgrade, but this is not about good fortune/luck is it? If access to an upgrade is about who you know, that devalues the loyalty programme.
but their upgrade didn't in anyway affect BA's decision about whether to release reward seats since the latter decision was not made with any knowledge of the former.

as you probably know BA does not release all available seats for rewards and is quite happy to fly aircraft with empty J and F seats.
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Equally passengers who paid for business class tickets could be aggrieved that you bought a premium economy ticket and upgraded with miles
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:04 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I think the OP has a right to feel aggrieved.
If true, the fact that one can get a 2 class upgrade on a long haul BA flight simply by virtue of knowing someone influential at BA, whilst others have to pay a stack of Avios or several hundred pounds for it, feels corrupt.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:16 am

OP, what you’re saying is understandable, but I think you have to file it away as one of those things.

It’s a bit like Theoretical Seating blocking the seat next to you and then a friendly cabin crew member plonks someone in there.

what can you do?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Travel benefits are one of the perks to employees, and if there are rules to allow them to share them, then so be it. The people who should be peeved were #1 and #2 on the upgrade list (if BA has such things).
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
A friend used to ( maybe still does we have lost touch ) used to get upgraded on every single flight.

He said he knew someone at ba. Gave no more clues. Goodness only know who he knew. He used to travel to Sydney on economy tickets. Now lives there

Good luck to him !
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:33 am

So I'm interested to know what the OP has lost here or how his/her trip was devalued by a lack of enjoyment, lack of safety, lack of space, etc? If the OP were offered a discount on a product because they knew the store owner or a company employee, would they turn that offer down if they could make use of the product or service?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Equally passengers who paid for business class tickets could be aggrieved that you bought a premium economy ticket and upgraded with miles
... or even more aggrieved that there are passengers who paid for an economy class ticket and are getting a free upgrade to J.

An upgrade with miles is a different story b/c that's part of the program and subject to some rules, just like J passengers are on tickets which cost different amounts and come with different restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.