Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:19 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you

I don’t disagree with you but as we were not there we are only surmising.
Agreed, but there is a report from someone who was on board that has stated there was a 10 minute window between landing and evacuating (measured with reasonable accuracy between the timings of 2 text messages) plus the same person has stated there was zero communication from the flight deck in this time period. So not really surmising this part, what we don't know is why it was decided to have zero official communication during that time period.
aikaterine likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
The BBC website report of the incident was updated a few minutes ago, and now includes comments from several of the affected passengers.

There is praise for the Captain, but a fair bit of critical comment in relation to CC communication, and in the way matters were subsequently handled on the ground. The report carries a (brief) response from BA. In fairness one would not expect the airline to have a lot to say in public, until their own investigations are complete.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49243757
wrp96 and aikaterine like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Thank you for the ”dustering”. ^
though it removed some very good points from yourself. Can you make them again?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by BOH
Agreed, but there is a report from someone who was on board that has stated there was a 10 minute window between landing and evacuating (measured with reasonable accuracy between the timings of 2 text messages) plus the same person has stated there was zero communication from the flight deck in this time period. So not really surmising this part, what we don't know is why it was decided to have zero official communication during that time period.
There also on the video a exasperated passenger (female; Scottish accent) saying "Make an announcement!". This is further evidence.
BOH and aikaterine like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

though it removed some very good points from yourself. Can you make them again?
Cannot remember what I said.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by hsmall
There also on the video a exasperated passenger (female; Scottish accent) saying "Make an announcement!". This is further evidence.
Maybe the PA system wasn't working for some reason. We don't know - it's possible
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by muscat

The “smoke” coming out your exhaust pipe contains carbon monoxide, which Is a relatively quick way to kill yourself. I’d certainly not want to sit in a car full of exhaust fumes. I’d be interested to know what happened at the post-incident medical check-up. ie, were they looking for signs of gas poisoning?
Well, you do actually breathe in car exhaust fumes when you walk down the street in any city in the world, which is deemed to be 'acceptable' but that's a whole other debate
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by BOH
Perhaps the crew were unwilling to take off the breathing apparatus long enough to make an announcement on the PA?
T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by BOH
Originally Posted by hsmall
I think it was eluded to further up the Thread that if there is an "all stations" call out to all the handsets in the cabin, then it won't be possible for the cabin crew to make an announcement.

Given that this incident will be investigated, it is likely that this will be picked up by the investigation and a recommendation made.

In the rail industry there has been an increase in the number of passenger-initiated uncontrolled evacuations in recent years, usually in response to a combination of poor communication from those in charge and deteriorating conditions on-board. There's the potential for some parallels to be drawn here.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:27 am

I think I speak for every crew member when I say that as crew, we have no desire or plans to go down with the ship. Ultimately, I’m the most important person onboard, to me! If I thought for one moment that my life was in danger in such a scenario, I have the experience and training to allow me to make the decision to evacuate. Questions may well be asked afterwards but ultimately, we are trusted as crew to make informed decisions based on our training. Passengers do not have the same training and knowledge of procedures to make the decision to evacuate because they “haven’t heard anything” from the crew. I trust my Pilots, I trust my Cabin Crew team and communication between us is everything. When the crew are clearly busy dealing with a highly stressful situation, they may well not have the mental head space to take time away to make you feel more at ease. This crew won’t be judged for not making announcements, they will be judged (positively) for getting every single one of those passengers off of the aircraft safely and in the correct circumstances.

Saudia 163 does not compare to this. They had clear signs of fire in the cabin which were declared before the aircraft even landed. What went through the Captain’s mind after landing, none of us will ever know. But it’s known the cabin was pressurised after landing and the wing engines were still running for 3 minutes after the aircraft came to a stop. The fire continued to rage onboard, thick black toxic smoke killed everyone and fire consumed what was left.
Should’ve, Could’ve, Would’ve.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by drakepassage

Pictures like these need to be circulated on Twitter to find, name and shame these individuals publicly and in the press. They should be ashamed.
No need to try and track all of them down, as picked up in the Daily Mail, Spanish journalist Dani Merono tweeted rather proudly that he'd managed to take his case with him "because it had lots of documents inside" . Good to see where his priorities lie - I hope I won't ever be flying with him. He seems to be getting some abuse for it on twitter.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BOH
Indeed there was, but another passenger (Rachel Jupp, the editor of BBC Panorama) in the link kindly provided by @subject2load supra said "... Ms Jupp said the cabin crew was unable to open the emergency exits for "three or four minutes" after the plane landed...".

So there is uncertainty at this point exactly how long the aircraft was on the ground before the evacuation order was given. This apparent inconsistency in evidence is not unusual when people have been subjected to a traumatic experience. Once the investigation is complete we will know for sure what the actual timeline was.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Indeed there was, but another passenger (Rachel Jupp, the editor of BBC Panorama) in the link kindly provided by @subject2load supra said "... Ms Jupp said the cabin crew was unable to open the emergency exits for "three or four minutes" after the plane landed...".

So there is uncertainty at this point exactly how long the aircraft was on the ground before the evacuation order was given. This apparent inconsistency in evidence is not unusual when people have been subjected to a traumatic experience. Once the investigation is complete we will know for sure what the actual timeline was.
Honestly, there is no uncertainty on my end. I sent a text at landing. I sent a text after I got off the slide. They are timestamped. I don't know how the other person is getting her timings but mine are exacting. It was 10 minutes. So the time inside the closed plane on the ground will be somewhere close to 10 minutes.
lupine, flygirl68, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by aikaterine; Aug 6, 2019 at 8:05 am
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by aikaterine
Honestly, there is no uncertainty on my end. I sent a text at landing. I sent a text after I got off the slide. They are timestamped. I don't know how the other person is getting her timings but mine are exacting. It was 10 minutes. So the time inside the closed plane on the ground will be somewhere close to 10 minutes.
Please don't take my comments to mean I doubt your recollection of events, I certainly don't want to leave you with that impression. Having worked in the legal profession for more than three decades, and having acted in many cases where witnesses have been put through traumatic experiences, I simply offered an explanation of why there are often many differing, and sometimes contradictory, versions of the same event. We all recollect things differently.

You have been an incredibly generous contributor to this topic, offering us your first-hand experiences of what must have been a terrifying and traumatic experience for all involved. I have no doubt that you have recounted your experiences honestly and accurately.
Jimmie76, flygirl68, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:28 am

Cannot remember what I said.
I'm sure it was polite and straight to the point!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.