FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1981698-ba422-lhr-vlc-emergency-landing-vlc-cabin-filled-smoke.html)

schrodingerdog Aug 5, 2019 11:32 am

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

Just saw this in twitter

Apparently already making it into the tabloids

"Apparently they flew for 10 minutes with the cabin full of smoke, no info from crew and oxygen masks failed to release."

nancypants Aug 5, 2019 11:35 am

I love the tweet- “no info to passengers”- they’re evacuating down slides so obviously had some info

also, pedant mode on, o2 masks are for loss of cabin pressure not smoke in cabin. Last thing anyone needs in that situation is more oxygen sloshing around

Dicksbits Aug 5, 2019 11:38 am

There’s a further tweet from the same guy which shows mist in the cabin.

schrodingerdog Aug 5, 2019 11:39 am

Can I help you Aug 5, 2019 11:41 am

Why am I never surprised and the ignorance of people, as said above o2 masks and smoke do not mix?

Tobias-UK Aug 5, 2019 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 31382002)
Why am I never surprised and the ignorance of people, as said above o2 masks and smoke do not mix?

Come on CIHY, you’ve been around long enough to know passengers know best ^

corporate-wage-slave Aug 5, 2019 11:43 am

From the photos, only a couple of backpacks, otherwise baggage left behind on board. Well done to passengers and crew for getting out safely.

xPositor Aug 5, 2019 11:43 am

Puts all the DYKWIA moments and arguments over storage space into perspective really. The cabin crew are there for your comfort, but primarily for your safety. Whilst everyone is panicked their training kicks in and gets all the passengers off the plane. Credit to them.

schrodingerdog Aug 5, 2019 11:49 am

VLC is operating normally, so they managed to get the plane off the runway before evacuating

JimEddie Aug 5, 2019 11:59 am

From inside, I assume shortly after landing but before the evacuation was ordered

Skipcool3 Aug 5, 2019 12:10 pm

Bit more than just mist......

cameramaker Aug 5, 2019 12:11 pm

This airframe (G-MEDN) went tech last August with a significant delay on a NCE sector due to a bleed air issue and smoke in the cabin.

BA need to up their game with these ex BMI Airbus’. None of them are in great condition.

NWIFlyer Aug 5, 2019 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by cameramaker (Post 31382119)
This airframe (G-MEDN) went tech last August with a significant delay on a NCE sector due to a bleed air issue and smoke in the cabin.

BA need to up their game with these ex BMI Airbus’. None of them are in great condition.

That’s somewhat speculative, I’d have to say.

In the year since, I imagine the airframe has done rather a lot of rotations and miles without incident. I’m not aware that either BD or subsequently BA have ever cut back on maintenance of any aircraft.

You may be right and there’s an underlying issue here, but I’m doubtful. Could you provide more concrete evidence to support your theory?

krispy84 Aug 5, 2019 12:22 pm

It would be interesting to know accurate details of the ‘no comms’ and how long before landing the problem became apparent. 60 mins (as mentioned above) seems an awful long time.

mrandery Aug 5, 2019 12:26 pm

The same tweet says the smoke appeared 10 mins before landing - and we can safely presume there was no way the plane was in the air 60 min after the smoke first appeared.

So, unless they sat on the runway for 50 min before evacuating (which would be surprising to say the least), not sure why there would be comms after the plane has been evacuated.