Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA422 (LHR-VLC) emergency landing in VLC (cabin filled with smoke)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
You have to love the fact that during, what could potentially serious emergency, some people's first thought is must video this. Madness.
And you have to love people who love to turn a drama into a crisis. What do you want people to do in this day and age, just sit there, for 10 mins. It's not like they broke out huge cameras and tripods and set them up in the aisle. Takes a few seconds, nothing else was going on, holding a small phone.....wow mad behavior taking a video.

I was in a bus crash last year, we rolled over. When it was apparent the bus wasn't going to catch fire I took a video of the inside, took pictures etc etc as it comes in useful later in Court and for the insurance company.
SK, SW7London, alvinlwh and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by BA235
I have far more faith in them than in some dunderhead passenger in full-on blunderbuss mode.
It is great that there was a safe evacuation in this incident and that the entire crew appeared to have acted with total professionalism. I do trust BA cabin crew and pilots with my life and have no reservations that their training and dedication to the cause in a safety incident.

However, one must remember the Manchester Airtours fire in 1985. A passenger sat in a window seat towards the rear of the cabin saw the engine fire and made an arbitrary decision to unfasten their seat belt and move to the front of the cabin. This was while the aircraft was still moving. She ignored direct instructions to return to her seat from cabin crew. She and her partner survived, while all those sat around her, including the cabin crew did not survive. This "blunderbuss" saved her own life.

In the Valencia incident, the crew were probably making decisions using Occam's razor. Sometimes, instinct will trump training, especially when an individual has a different data set.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Can I help you
....this aircraft is the A321 so no over-wing exits and each pair of exits would have at least one crew member responsible....
Good reminder.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by nederlander79
Appreciate we don't know the full circumstances yet but I do find the "fear" of making the decision to evacuate a bit frightening here. I would have been out like a bullet forcing cc out my way to open the door, regardless of consequences. Nobody seems to do that though which I find odd. Especially after hearing the 3 dong emergency tone on the video and the FA is still on the phone clueless what to do. I look forward to hearing the outcome here but fear it's another case of people so scared they may lose their job over common sense. Hope I'm proved wrong.
Yes, and when you got sucked into the still running engine I suppose your family would have been suing BA?

Or maybe you killed others because you opened a rear exit, and the slide was blown away by the still running engine, meaning others couldn't get out.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
This is the situation that would be very problematic for those with lung conditions (asthma, COPD etc).
A successful evacuation, I’m assuming the injuries were from going down the slides.
Is it SOP to not update the passengers when on the ground - I’m speculating but my guess would be that the crew may have been waiting for the captain.
So glad that everyone is safe.
As an asthmatic I’d probably have started freaking out after a few minutes stopped on ground with no evacuation and no information. I’m amazed at how calm the pax seemed.

great idea on using water on cloth as a makeshift mask aikaterine - I hope to never have to steal it!
MickV, wrp96, altabello and 1 others like this.

Last edited by lorcancoyle; Aug 6, 2019 at 1:59 am
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:27 am

If the cabin filled with "smoke" (there's no smoke without fire!), but people were just sitting there not coughing and spluttering, what could it be?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
From the photos, only a couple of backpacks, otherwise baggage left behind on board. Well done to passengers and crew for getting out safely.
Never mind hand baggage any more. From the photos, it seems that Instragramming, vlogging and live-streaming your evacuation is becoming the new scourge of aviation safety nowadays.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
If the cabin filled with "smoke" (there's no smoke without fire!), but people were just sitting there not coughing and spluttering, what could it be?
BS of course there is smoke without fire
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I suppose the inevitable observation here is that:

1) Passengers felt they were put at risk by the response of the cabin crew
2) Everyone got out safely; the reactions of the cabin crew proved correct and the passengers were incorrect
3) Some passengers made very bad judgements (rushing forward from the back, some taking bags out)

Conclusion is really that cabin crew reactions were more trustworthy than the passengers'.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Do you have any idea how stupid you sound?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Glad to hear all are safe after this incident. Great work by the crew in getting everyone off as quickly as they did.

Hindsight is an interesting thing... I flew on G-MEDN just last Friday and did notice an unusual odour during engine start-up & taxi (so much so I closed my gasper), but thought little more of it at the time. Nothing you could do of course, but does give one pause for thought.
aikaterine likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes lessons will be learnt but cabin crew and flight crew are trained for these types os situations in our simulators and mockups.
MickV, HowMayIHelp and aikaterine like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I wonder if they evacuated by group number?

[EDIT: Sorry, thought I was in the DYKWIA thread - different tab open in the browser]
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
BS of course there is smoke without fire
I'm aware of that, it's a proverb. My question was ... what was the smoke in the cabin likely to be from?
Originally Posted by Can I help you

Do you have any idea how stupid you sound?
​​​​​No.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by MickV

I completely understand those points. I think I would have checked outside, listening for engine shutdown etc before doing it and it’s impossible to know unless you’re in that situation but I think my first instinct would be to get off the plane. If my children are beside me then I am definitely getting them off the plane. Ten minutes seems a long time and the pictures look quite bad.

Its all a bit hypothetical though as I wouldn’t know for sure how I’d react unless I was in that situation and it’s not a criticism of anyone that was.

I do agree with you about instinct and the 10 minutes. I would want to get off too! And I wasn’t meaning to criticise you either, it was just a couple of things to think about. People have to trust that we are trained fully. We know that some people may try that, that would be one of the things we would be watching for.
MickV, nancypants and aikaterine like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.