Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe - unusual text message : Removal of middle seat block

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe - unusual text message : Removal of middle seat block

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Wash your mouth out!
Haha! I do it every morning and evening!
You should try it!
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by bisonrav
They can take the tray tables out of any plane in about 3 minutes. This has nothing to do with NEO arrangements. Why do people see conspiracies everywhere?

This was an exceptional situation, BA chose to prioritise ALL their customers, not just those at the front, and this is to their credit. If there are some selfish narcissists who resent losing a small benefit so that someone else can get home, then they are the ones to be pitied and criticised, not BA.

You can't anticipate every occurrence of weather events. Generally where there is a high chance of disruption - snow for example - BA are proactive on cancellations and plan around them (and get complained at for doing this). This week was unusual and compounded by technical issues for ATC. These things happen, other airlines were equally affected. So honestly, roll with it.
but with respect, unless I’ve missed it, I’ve not really see anyone make the argument you claim that ba was wrong to exceptionally suspend the ce middle seat entitlement to fly stranded passengers home sooner. Every comment I’ve read thankfully suggests everyone seems to think this was right.

the argument raised over and again, instead, is that ba was right to do it but should have offered some pro active compensation to passengers flying in less comfortable conditions than usual as a result.

The alternative (no compensation) would have a straightforward consequence: it would be tantamount to suggesting that ba should potentially financially benefit from some of its customers’ weather ordeal by effectively running more profitable higher density flights and lowering its duty of care bill on the back of its passengers and that simply wouldn’t be morally right.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by orbitmic

but with respect, unless I’ve missed it, I’ve not really see anyone make the argument you claim that ba was wrong to exceptionally suspend the ce middle seat entitlement to fly stranded passengers home sooner. Every comment I’ve read thankfully suggests everyone seems to think this was right.

the argument raised over and again, instead, is that ba was right to do it but should have offered some pro active compensation to passengers flying in less comfortable conditions than usual as a result.

The alternative (no compensation) would have a straightforward consequence: it would be tantamount to suggesting that ba should potentially financially benefit from some of its customers’ weather ordeal by effectively running more profitable higher density flights and lowering its duty of care bill on the back of its passengers and that simply wouldn’t be morally right.
the comment I responded to was that BA had not put tray tables on the NEO as a thin end of the wedge operation.

And for the rest I wouldn’t be looking to benefit myself from a sensible response to an exceptional set of circumstances. BA will not be profiting from this week, they are doing the right thing for all passengers.
TravelManBiz likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If BA had decided to remove business class on those flights and have economy only with those having paid for CE being reimbursed in accordance with EC261, I expect that the concerms would have been less ( or even zero )
You aren't correct on this one. The last time they did that during a Christmas irrop period, there were plenty of complaints here (though relatively few from those directly impacted it has to be said). People choose to pay CE for different aspects, and certainly middle seat block is a big factor for many passengers. But other people want the extra TPs, Avios, increased baggage allowance, lounge access, Fast Track, Priority Boarding, additional staffing, complementary food, complementary drinks, Pinnacle seating, seated near the front and so on. To take all of that away and replace it with EC261 is a worse outcome for many (most?) passengers than doing what they have actually done: moved some people from ET to CE, they get the benefits listed above, existing CE passengers should get some Avios if they claim them. If instead BA had overtly downgraded everyone to ET, the EC261 reimbursement on the cheapest LON-NCE Club Europe (£215 return) is £23.70,. and would probably take 2 months to be paid. So personally I'd take the 3000 Avios.
TravelManBiz likes this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 27, 2019 at 5:46 am
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

the comment I responded to was that BA had not put tray tables on the NEO as a thin end of the wedge operation.

And for the rest I wouldn’t be looking to benefit myself from a sensible response to an exceptional set of circumstances. BA will not be profiting from this week, they are doing the right thing for all passengers.
Agreed on the tray table comment.

BA won’t be profiting overall from the weather disarray, but they will be very significantly financially profiting from the decision to remove blocked middle seats. They will also profit from the plight of some of their customers (those not affected by eligible lengths of delays yet flown in densifies cabins).

I’ve no idea how the question of whether you’d want to profit or not from the situation is relevant. The question is whether ba should make it clear they don’t want to financially profit from that contingency measure and I think that if they are a decent airline, they should not.

For the avoidance of doubt, I’m lucky enough not to be affected at this stage (I may be if problems continue tomorrow) so I would not be profiting from anything and if ba was offering pro active compensation (not downgrade payment which I never suggested, just a goodwill gesture they deem appropriate), then nobody would be ‘seeking to profit’ from the situation, neither the passengers (the assumption that the goodwill gesture would exceed or even match the inconvenience strikes me as wholly unlikely).

Dont make me say say things I did not: I’m all in favour of people engaging in voluntary solidarity. What I think is inappropriate is effectively making others engage in solidarity without engaging in such voluntary solidarity yourself (let alone using others’ legitimate solidarity to compensate for your own involuntary expenses).
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic

BA won’t be profiting overall from the weather disarray, but they will be very significantly financially profiting from the decision to remove blocked middle seats. They will also profit from the plight of some of their customers (those not affected by eligible lengths of delays yet flown in densifies cabins).
From what we can tell (mentioned above), and looking at the seat maps, only 2 services were affected. I can't find any examples today even for Prague or Nice, so I would challenge the word "significantly", as far as I can tell less than 100 people were affected, and it may have been less than 50. Given the 30% rule on downgrade reimbursement, I suspect BA have lost more money than they have gained, and by the time hotels and what not get factored in, I doubt BA's Treasury team have had a good few days overall.
flygirl68, LondonAndy and bisonrav like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So personally I'd take the 3000 Avios.
Have people in this instance been offered 3000 Avios?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Have people in this instance been offered 3000 Avios?
This was what happened to those who claimed it last time this happened, since that time CR have been slightly more generous with compensation Avios. I don't know about this time, or whether SCCMs have been handling it out via the iPad option.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:40 am

From what we can tell (mentioned above), and looking at the seat maps, only 2 services were affected. I can't find any examples today even for Prague or Nice, so I would challenge the word "significantly", as far as I can tell less than 100 people were affected, and it may have been less than 50. Given the 30% rule on downgrade reimbursement, I suspect BA have lost more money than they have gained, and by the time hotels and what not get factored in, I doubt BA's Treasury team have had a good few days overall.
I actually agree with both points, but again, this answer two arguments which I am simply not making and not the one that I make.

Significantly is for each flight it is done, not in terms of BA's annual balance. A typical 321 to NCE has 18 rows of CE, meaning 72 C and 110 Y pax with a load factor of 100%. By sacrificing the middle seats, this adds a further 36 pax on the plane, potentially all of them in CE. That is a very significant increase indeed for each flight where this is made (+19.8% of total capacity or up to +50% of C capacity) and that is lucrative. Moreover, this is 36 people for whom the duty of care stops being owed (as well as, once again, 36 happier people so once more, it is right to fly them).

And again, nobody has claimed that BA would become rich because of this week, that is simply not something I said. What I am saying is specifically that releasing the middle seat makes BA financially better off than they would be if they kept them blocked. That is a different argument altogether and I don't think that there is anything controversial about it.

I just don't think that it is good judgement (or for that matter moral) that by not offering a spontaneous gesture of good will, BA will be financially profiting from that decision which is purportedly (and rightly) intended to benefit stranded passengers instead whilst only the other passengers themselves are asked to accept a lower service. It is also wrong that compensation should only go to passengers who ask for it - or for that matter that passengers be left to either accept a loss of comfort with no compensation or left to feel pretty darn horrible if they right to complain about their loss of comfort whilst precisely this could be wrongly misconstrued as them resenting that other passengers were helped, which in all likelihood, the immense majority of them will support.

As for the fact that this has affected a small number of flights, the argument goes both ways: it precisely makes it all the more ridiculous that BA would not offer that small number of customers the handful of avios (or for non BAEC members a £20 voucher for onboard shopping or a future purchase) pro-actively.

I don't think that BA are being malicious here, but I think that they are being poor at customer service. What they should have done is make exactly the decision they did, send exactly the text messages they did, but simply add a sentence saying: "We do realise that this flight will not be to the usual standard of comfort that you expect from Club Europe but we are sure that you understand why we chose to prioritise flying stranded passengers back to their destination as early as possible and hope that you will accept 3000 avios that we have posted to your account to thank you for your understanding in those difficult circumstances".

If they had, there would be no discussion.

PS: One thing I'm confused about is the reference to downgrade reimbursement. Do you think that BA will pay such reimbursement here? As I said before, I personally do not believe that this constitutes (or should be deemed) a case of downgrade.
subject2load likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jul 27, 2019 at 7:11 am
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ orbitmic : some well-made points ^

As a general principle (ie not just this particular incident), I do question why it is that affected air pax are actually left to ‘claim’ any such redress. I can understand this being the most effective method in the case of, say, rail journey delays, or other mishaps. But an airline will generally hold far more personal data about anyone booking a ticket ; and in the case of known, clear-cut, issues, that data could very easily be used to offer - and then swiftly process - some form of pro-active compensation / goodwill gesture ...... whether cash, avios, or perhaps an upgrade offer on a future trip.

In short, there is surely a better way to go about these things in today’s world. But of course what many might see as good customer service might not always square with a management more anxious, perhaps, to prioritise net profitability whilst limiting as much as possible the total level of compensation payments.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While downgrade reimbursement under the Regulation looks to be lucrative, bear in mind that it is on the base segment fare only. By the time one breaks out the segment in question, e.g., not the ticket price for the return, and strips out all taxes and fees (including what would have been APD on the outbound), 30% of the base fare may not be a large amount.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by ukgooner
Well weather and the radar. As long as special circumstances is there in the regulations, this surely counts. You can't seriously believe that BA can resolve them without come compromise? Thus there can be no compensation for people effected by the compromise.

This is not so much a matter of law for me, but about a bit of decency. And it's hardly a massive hardship is it?
Compensation culture has brought us here sadly. One day that may be me faced with a chance to get home to see my kids at the weekend by taking a middle seat, or 'allowing' someone else that opportunity by being OK with someone else being sat there.

I'm assuming they'll be putting other CE passengers in to fill the gaps so everyone will be in the same boat, I'd agree if no meal service then they should comp the difference between the club and eco fares, however if its just the middle seat then I wouldn't be looking for comp, I just don't feel it's required and would be satisfied someone was able to benefit.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:52 am

It's 3750 off peak, to be precise, and on Domestics from LGY and LGW, part pay with 3250 Avios can sometimes bring you to a similar Plus fare. And I think they sometimes do more than 3,000 Avios hence the "not jumping to conclusion" comments above.
I must admit that you've lost me here. I thought that since the changes that occurred a few years ago, the cost of a UUA is always calculated as the difference between the mileage cost of the class of travel you want to fly in minus the (notional) mileage cost of the class you paid for. At any rate, that's definitely always what I have paid when doing UUAs on WT+ to CW which is the only ones I buy. If that were the case, that would be 4000 off peak for LON-NCE (CE is 8000 and ET is 4000) and 4500 peak (CE is 9000 and ET is 4500).

Are UUAs costs calculated using a different formula for European flights? I'll admit that I've never UUA'ed from ET to CE (and certainly would never consider it unless I was planning a move and needed extra luggage!) so maybe the calculation is not the mileage difference then, but if so I'd be really curious as to why BA have chosen to make this an exception, especially if it means to make an exception for as little as 250 avios which hardly seem worth the trouble!
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
As a general principle (ie not just this particular incident), I do question why it is that affected air pax are actually left to ‘claim’ any such redress.
I think that the basic reason is that companies in general do not offer pro-active compensation or gestures because they would then give it to everyone whilst if they wait for people to complain, between those who don't know they can, those who forget or never get round to asking, and those who don't care enough, they will only have to pay a fraction of the people affected so the savings of waiting are pretty clear.

What is less obvious but in my view just as important is the benefit of not waiting, which some airlines do in cases such as delays above a certain length of time. When someone complains and you answer, you merely mitigate the damage. By contrast, when you offer something pro-actively, you have a chance to build a reputation in the customer's eyes as a fair and honest company or even a company that cares, and the consequential reputational benefits can be very significant. As a result, the couple of airlines I can think of which chose to pilot sending pro-active compensation to customers affected by some specific travel incidents chose to continue the process and never seem to have thought twice about it.

I would argue that this constitutes best practice and that the rest of the industry (at least among quality legacy carriers) should ultimately aim to emulate it.
MSPeconomist and subject2load like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
If the middle seats are occupied by ET travellers, it would be reasonable I think to ask them to go into the brace position and tape a tray to their back.

Everyone then happy.
Suppose they'll be sent down the back for leak too.... Lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.