Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe - unusual text message : Removal of middle seat block

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe - unusual text message : Removal of middle seat block

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I note that Sunday's LHR-MUC flights have suddenly gone down from J9 to J0 (many oft hem are still showing Y9). Wondering how many people rejected BA's 6-abreast CE and asked to be rebooked for another day?

Quite a few years ago, I was meant to fly out of Athens on New Year's day, but the whole city was snowed in for a number of days. When flights finally reopened, with hundreds of displaced passengers, I was fully expecting AF to suspend seat blocking in business class — but they didn't. I made the first flight out (but had to ask quite forcefully to persuade the cabin crew to bring out the champagne before noon).
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by deep_south
Lets work some numbers; lets say 10 rows of CE, so 20 extra seats used. If they are all "delayed" CE passengers, that's around £3,000 of "revenue" (roughly) plus whatever they are saving on less "duty of care".

So they could use the £3K and share it around the original 40 CE pax, so £75 each to ease their extra confinement.

Revenue neutral, but BA would never even consider that....
Or just a free one way CE upgrade next time (voucher or avios).

Agree what they are doing is the right thing.... just shame they can not be proactive dealing with any resulting losses & good will.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Some content over on the parody account (‘Not Señor Cruz’) can be uncannily close to real-world BA thinking, and I see that there’s already a tweet from @alexcruzmaybe, seemingly in response to an unhappy CE passenger, viz :

no compensation due as it’s still Club Europe #middleseat #enhanced”

becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I am now waiting for the first complaint about (1) slow CE service; (2) ran out of the salad etc., from a pax (for example seated in CE 12F) in one of these temporarily densified planes.

Doc Copper
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ukgooner
EC261 would not apply as this is due to issues outside their control.

It's about getting people home, and in the circumstances, its a shame those affected cant be a bit more understanding on the basis that it might well be them offloaded completely if this wasn't implemented.

To those saying "Id push to get something meaningful back as I didn't get what I paid for" - let me put it this way: would you suck it up, or wait till a flight can accommodate you in the way you expected? Because those are the choices really, unless you expect some other schmuck to be the one to be left behind.
There would be a reimbursement for a downgrade - there is no exception for downgrades under EC261

If the airline calls it Club Europe but just lets some economy passengers sit in the middle seats , then no reimbursement would seem due under the regulation
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gcuk
I presume there are CE passengers delayed so wouldn't they be the ones seated in the densified CE cabin?
Given the extent of the disruption and the relative short flight duration, I'd be more than happy to help a fellow human being get to where they were going by giving up a bit of shoulder room, without immediately contemplating or anticipating what 'compensation' I'm going to receive. One day it might be me wanting to get somewhere.
The forum would be a better place with more posts like that. ^
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The forum would be a better place with more posts like that. ^
It probably would be more like that if BA's attitude were more like that on the majority of occasions when the shoe is on the other foot.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the airline calls it Club Europe but just lets some economy passengers sit in the middle seats , then no reimbursement would seem due under the regulation
I do not understand why there is a belief the PAX in the middlemseatvwould be Y.PAX. I think it would either be CE PAX from other flighta, or a condensed CE cabin with more people behind the curtain.

And yes, while i would be sympathetic and understanding, I would also be hoping for some level compensation from BA, as suggested an upgrade to CE voucher for a future flight wouks seem fitting
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:32 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
As long as it only for exceptional operational reasons and not a trial to see if they can now start stuffing 6 abreast. As long as this is not the thin edge of the wedge then I have no problem. One day that could be any of us.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Other than today’s BA348 to NCE are there any other flights similarly affected?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I just arrived 20 hours later than scheduled to Heathrow. While there was plenty of room as we came from an outstation, I'd have not hesitated to have gone 6 abreast. If someone refusing to give up the middle seat meant someone getting home even later I'd have been appalled.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC
BA's caring side isn't really showing. The only flight from LCY-EDI is £387 in Y this evening. They want our compassion and understanding supposedly but are more than happy to use the situation to hammer the prices up.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Originally Posted by gcuk
I presume there are CE passengers delayed so wouldn't they be the ones seated in the densified CE cabin?
Given the extent of the disruption and the relative short flight duration, I'd be more than happy to help a fellow human being get to where they were going by giving up a bit of shoulder room, without immediately contemplating or anticipating what 'compensation' I'm going to receive. One day it might be me wanting to get somewhere.
And there speaks the voice of reason. There mUst be CE disrupted pax so in all likelihood middle seats will largely be filled with cub pax.

A sensible response to get people home given disruption may build again tonight if promised storms do return.

And getting advanced notice is polite than just having it foisted on you

And helping someone out of course does no harm

I remember in the weeks after 911 when flights started again but there were thousands of US citizens stranded in london. And BA asked if those who didn't need to take their flights would cancel to create space to repatriate. My family gave up a trip to MCO Disney town. It was the right thing to do.

I k ow this isnt in the same league but a gesture nonetheless
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
At this point in the thread, I'd be much more interested in hearing reports from anyone who's travelled on one of these 6-abreast CE services to find out how it actually played out. It does seem a bit odd that we haven't had any reports at all by this time.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by u01sss3
BA's caring side isn't really showing. The only flight from LCY-EDI is £387 in Y this evening. They want our compassion and understanding supposedly but are more than happy to use the situation to hammer the prices up.
This is all computer generated. There isn't a human sitting there putting in high prices to screw you over.

That would be the existing filed price of a Full Y fare. Due to the disruption, planes are filling up and the revenue optimisation robots are closing out the cheapest fare buckets.

It's what naturally happens as planes fill, regardless of the disruption, and in these cases actually helps as it disuades new bookings. The inventory remains available for stranded customers, who get rebooked on their existing tickets and don't pay any more.
flygirl68, wrp96, mda03jb and 1 others like this.

Last edited by CitySlacker; Jul 26, 2019 at 2:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.