Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe - unusual text message : Removal of middle seat block

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe - unusual text message : Removal of middle seat block

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by florens
BA could potentially have chosen to upgauge a flight with a widebody (provided one is free for a couple of hours to fly to Nice and back) and everybody would be happy.
They have done just that to MAD tonight. A 787-9 is on the BA464/465. (In addition to the 777 flight earlier.) They also had 2 777 rotations yesterday too.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:25 am

Do you get people on your lap if in long haul CW?
jeremyBA, MarkFlies and groenroos like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by florens
BA could potentially have chosen to upgauge a flight with a widebody (provided one is free for a couple of hours to fly to Nice and back) and everybody would be happy.
Yes they could have chosen to fashion a widebody out of used napkins to pop to all the other destinations affected too.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ukgooner
And this is where I hope passengers would be reasonable. If BA thought they'd get a huge bill for downgrade compensation, then they are likely to leave people behind safe in the knowledge there would be no compensation payable. Logically that would be the CE people, then they could open the whole flight as ET.
It could be cheaper to pay downgrade compensation than duty of care.
dobba likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ukgooner
And this is where I hope passengers would be reasonable. If BA thought they'd get a huge bill for downgrade compensation, then they are likely to leave people behind safe in the knowledge there would be no compensation payable. Logically that would be the CE people, then they could open the whole flight as ET.
Well, I'd flip it the other way round: if BA provided pro-active compensation that they deem appropriate to affected CE passengers, I think that they would be much less likely to complain or try claim a downgrade. If they are told 'tough', they will.

Upthread, I did say that I think BA are right to do this as the priority should be to fly people asap, but it goes without saying that even though I do not think it is the reason they do it, the choice of 6 across will save BA a lot of money between densified aircrafts and saved duty of care. It would only be logical that they use this to provide a modicum of compensation to the passengers flying significantly less comfortably than normal.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Mattloveday1987
Lol we have row 1 booked so it will be interesting to say the least!!
What flight is this?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
If the middle seats are occupied by ET travellers, it would be reasonable I think to ask them to go into the brace position and tape a tray to their back.

Everyone then happy.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by londonclubguy
I think BA have done absolutely the right thing here - such bizarre weather and with a 10 row CE cabin on certain routes why not take an extra 20 pax.

Personally think the compensation and remuneration is irrelevant. The airline have severely restricted capacity and are doing whatever they can to help stranded people. Good for them.
If they take another 20 CE passengers where will they put the meals?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
BA is doing the right move but should proactively offer compensation.

the club Europe seat is the same seat as economy anyway, might as well get used to economy plus (as in economy class with food or how economy used to be 10 years ago in BA)
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
I do hope, if the passengers using the middle seat are economy passengers, they have to use the toilets to the rear of the cabin.
MSPeconomist, u01sss3 and Furby like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:45 am

They’ve got an A350 in Toulouse doing nothing?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Its a shame they ran out of characters before they were able to proactively offer compensation or a partial refund.

Nail on the head !

In my view, no criticism warranted for what is clearly a pragmatic decision, taken amidst rare circumstances.

It will be interesting to learn how things were handled onboard, in terms of catering and general service standards.

But more importantly - and this is where proper judgement of BA should, and will, be made - the real issue is what exactly management choose to do (if indeed anything ..... and how promptly) to bring some tangible substance to their words “we appreciate this is not what you expect when you travel with us”.
mrow, so3003 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No compensation for a downgrade, but EC 261/2004 does provide for a refund of 30-75% of the base fare depending on Type 1-3 of the flight (connections may affect this). The two key features of CE are blocked middle seat and the soft product (food). If either or both of those go, I suspect that this is a downgrade.

That said, it all makes eminent sense. It is the best for the most. Whether it is "good" or "bad" for you depends on where you sit. In a nice aisle seat in CE, this is bad. In a plastic seat at some gate wishing you could see your children for supper, this is good.
mrow, wrp96 and argonath like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:01 am

Lets work some numbers; lets say 10 rows of CE, so 20 extra seats used. If they are all "delayed" CE passengers, that's around £3,000 of "revenue" (roughly) plus whatever they are saving on less "duty of care".

So they could use the £3K and share it around the original 40 CE pax, so £75 each to ease their extra confinement.

Revenue neutral, but BA would never even consider that....
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I think the decision is the right one, what's not right is the lack of proactive compensation. I am sure they could please a lot of travellers shelling off a few avios which come at a very low cost for BA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.