Wiki Posts
Search

Seat reservation fees increase

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:10 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Takiteasy

I think the poster refers to the pricing categories that differ at the front middle and back and again on upper decks. I have done a test without exec number and counted 4 but would not be surprised there if there are 6.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

I assume pricing points depending on location of seats within cabin
Ah, that makes sense, thank you ^
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I wouldn't believe all what you read on here. After all, in real life they don't seem to have any problem attracting customers old and new.
That holds true for most everything on the Net ! That is why I like to get links or sources when a statement or claim is made......
Pax are filling up planes because overall capacities may have decreased. Seasonal loads vary. In BA's case the network and LHR dominance plays a very important part.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HMPS
That holds true for most everything on the Net ! That is why I like to get links or sources when a statement or claim is made......
Pax are filling up planes because overall capacities may have decreased. Seasonal loads vary. In BA's case the network and LHR dominance plays a very important part.
Despite the hyperbole BA passenger numbers just keep rising as do yearly profits. Doesn't exactly give the impression of BA being a struggling airline like you read on here every day.

Crivens....even you fly 'em!!

Last edited by HIDDY; Jun 4, 2019 at 7:50 pm Reason: Add a smiley.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
I'm looking to go TPA to TLV in December and BA came in pretty competitive in J...that is until you have to pay for seats. I refuse to pay to reserve a seat in a J cabin that's 8 across just on a matter of principle. Guess I won't be flying BA anytime soon in J!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
Status with BA depends on your home base. If YVR, for example, flights must be via LHR at extraordinary taxation if flying BA. So one tends to travel via other hubs and even low level status hard to achieve or maintain.

Before they charged for CW we flew at least annually to the UAE and never had a problem scoring 62, 64 or other upper deck. After they started charging we flew SFO-LHR and I paid for 62. Lower deck on 12 hour flights is not a valid option for me. On the return I was able to score UD on OLCI which was a good result.

Flew Qantas last winter in Upper Deck and it was so bad that I would never bother to pay for advance reservations with them. BA was special back in the day
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:57 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by flyer0123

Maybe BA should care. The so called once in a lifetime flyer maybe starting the first of many more years of flying BA.
If my memory serves right, I read in another thread on upgrades, the experts here had mentioned that BA many times upgrades people with no status to entice them to buy upper cabin next time
so in one case BA entices and in another doesn’t care? Doesn’t make sense to me and I am not an expert on BA
What the small minds don’t see is the fees no one else gets away with, AND the outdated seats, dirty planes, poor service are all by products of basically a monopoly player in the market.

For someone who needs to fly directly to a choice of destinations from the UK and prefers J class travel. There are no close substitutes, no slots at Heathrow and they’ve bought or signed joint ventures with any ‘apparent’ competitors.

The growing passanger numbers and profits are not signs of business success just an effect of a growing overall market and supernormal profits from heaps of fees and abuse of a monopoly position.

Smarter people know that a monopoly practices and anticompetitive markets mean higher prices and poorer service for all, it’s not just about elites vs. once a year customers. Everyone suffers...

Enticing is all they care about, they have the customers locked in, the only thing they have to work at is getting a bit more than they otherwise would have spent from those that are willing.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Despite the hyperbole BA passenger numbers just keep rising as do yearly profits. Doesn't exactly give the impression of BA being a struggling airline like you read on here every day.

Crivens....even you fly 'em!!
Do read post 126 by amt......It sums up the cause effect in a nutshell. Couldn't have said it better.... Add to what is said, corporate contracts and loyalty to flag (nothing wrong with that) . BA has all these advantages and is taking full benefits
amt likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by amt
... basically a monopoly player in the market.
I thought that this one had been debunked, too.

BA is undoubtedly dominant in the London market. But there are relatively few destinations served direct from London to which BA has no competitor at all. Even between airlines in the same immunised joint venture, there is competition - as witness the constant comparisons of the relative pros and cons between AA business class and BA business class. And as a constant stream of posts on the BA board reminds us, much of the market sees other airlines as viable - indeed, preferable - competitors even though they can only offer indirect services to BA's direct destinations.

BA is only a monopoly player in the London market if you insist only on direct flights and also that all your flights are on the same airline. But why would you insist on the latter condition when you could choose a supposedly better airline for many of your trips? Frequent flyer benefits from flying on only one airline (or, these days, alliance) would seem to be a contender for most obvious answer.

But if you tie yourself to one airline whose service levels you despise simply because that airline bribes you with frequent flyer goodies which (as your choices show) you value more than the better service that you'd get on another airline, and then you complain to high heaven about being forced to fly on an airline whose service levels you despise because of some mythical "monopoly", then you are being naive or blind or disingenuous. Or possibly some combination of all three, if that is not a definitionally-challenged proposition.
Andriyko, HIDDY, JAXBA and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Do read post 126 by amt......It sums up the cause effect in a nutshell. Couldn't have said it better....
Every point that amt makes can be shown to be untrue or, at the very least, arguable.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by subject2load
And very often the picture is rather different, and you will have to pay a higher fare with BA, quite apart from their additional seat fees.

Take a popular route such as LHR-DXB. Random example dates in J class, out June 19, back June 26 :

lowest fare, with BA = Ł 1978

lowest fare, with EK = Ł 1904

And there are of course various other (included) benefits when flying EK.
Surprising a state run airline can't always offer a cheaper direct fare to its home hub than the competition. Maybe something to do with the EU investigation into how they operate?
That is certainly news to some of us...a link or copy of article please ?

BTW as a CUSTOMER matters not to me whether an airline is Govt owned ..if the fare, SERVICE, ground experiences are better, they get my money.
Well you just need to GOOGLE something like - eu commission unfair competition airlines - that should return enough material to give you the gist of it.
Strange, I never got as many as that. Sure out of habit you didn't type 'Why is BA CUSTOMER SERVICE so bad'?
Good effort at deflecting a question ! Are you sure you did not work in the Govt ?
And BTW, the mentions of poor BA CUSTOMER Service are becoming more frequent.
The first page of search results will be enough to give you the info you're after. EK do seem to have started changing their ways. I suspect QR will as well especially if they want to remain part of Oneworld.
You've had a nightmare there HIDDY... Surely you can directly point to where the EU are investigating EK as you stated?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
IMHO, the amt points are reasonable, but perhaps arguable. They are not "untrue".
1. I live near LHR - the result of a job move many years ago. 2. I do not like to waste time flying via other airports and hanging around just to get marginally cheaper fares. When I want to go somewhere, that is where I want to go. 3. So I am one of those "caught" by the near monopoly conditions at LHR.
So I have sympathy for what amt says.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
3. So I am one of those "caught" by the near monopoly conditions at LHR.
Are you only flying to destinations that are only served by BA? If not, why aren't you sometimes flying the competitor?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Do read post 126 by amt......It sums up the cause effect in a nutshell. Couldn't have said it better.... Add to what is said, corporate contracts and loyalty to flag (nothing wrong with that) . BA has all these advantages and is taking full benefits
Concerning the seating policy, as a GGL card holder surely amt has all the advantages/benefits
HIDDY and JAXBA like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You've had a nightmare there HIDDY... Surely you can directly point to where the EU are investigating EK as you stated?
It appearsd we are going way off topic, perhaps you could take the discussion about Emirates over to the EK forum?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by amt

What the small minds don’t see is the fees no one else gets away with, AND the outdated seats, dirty planes, poor service are all by products of basically a monopoly player in the market.

For me BA are only just getting the outdated seats and doing away with the good ones. The best flight I ever had on an airplane was on BA (admittedly in F) and that includes flying private. Please don't make sweeping generalisations about the hard working BA cabin crew.
Originally Posted by amt
For someone who needs to fly directly to a choice of destinations from the UK and prefers J class travel. There are no close substitutes, no slots at Heathrow and they’ve bought or signed joint ventures with any ‘apparent’ competitors.
This isn't true on my route to BOS from LHR, the reasons I'm using BA are due to my onward connection. VS and DL also fly the route but DL use seats with a foot cofin and VS get in after 10pm to BOS. As I don't like the antiquated foot well idea and there are no connecting flights when VS arrive, BA it is.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jun 5, 2019 at 12:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.