Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat reservation fees increase

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is close to no overhead associated with this fee. Thus, if BA sells one seat per flight, that seat fee goes straight to the bottom line. It is supply & demand and that is the task for RM / IM. Apparently BA believes that it does not lose many customers who would pay 90 when it charges 140 or thereabouts.

The other way to look at this is to ask who ought to get this seat. An individual who flies only once but books the second the schedule opens or a PREM booking the day of travel? The seat fee likely creates some vacancies for late booking.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Aledin
I know this is a common thread on here but I can’t help thinking that the number of people booking seats in CW will reduce dramatically once the Club Suites are rolled out fully. Maybe BA are trying to cash in whilst they still can.
Was thinking exactly the same.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:55 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
LX has done the same thing apparently

LX raises price for throne pre-selection...grrr
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Mike P
I've just done a dummy booking LHR - CPT without logging in. I'm seeing £136pp each way to reserve seats on the upper deck. So £544 return for a couple. Seems somewhat steep given the flights on random dates I picked in April worked out at £10,500 return for two people in CW!

Seat fees of £544 are certainly very steep (or as others have said, quite ridiculous) ..... and I speak as one of those who would not actually be required to pay them.

But is that fare quote of £10.5K for two returns in CW to CPT correct ... I feel sure that cannot be accurate !?
For anyone willing to have an aircraft change and longer journey, another OW carrier would charge around £5K for two returns in April - and seat selection would be complimentary, even without status.

Originally Posted by Aledin
I know this is a common thread on here but I can’t help thinking that the number of people booking seats in CW will reduce dramatically once the Club Suites are rolled out fully. Maybe BA are trying to cash in whilst they still can.
Yes .... when every seat offers direct aisle access, decent storage, and added privacy ..... it’s really hard to see how the seat fee gravy train will keep rolling along, gathering cash bonanzas across the long-haul network as it has done for so long. There will have to be some strategy for replacing it ; a few extra pounds on fares here & there might not attract too much attention - but something in the order of a £272 fare hike on a CW return fare wouldn’t exactly go unnoticed
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:17 am

The cost to BA is that, as a result of these charges, some people will consider BA as money-grabbing and customer unfriendly, particularly in comparison with most other airlines that don’t charge.

I have paid for seat selection in the past, reluctantly and through gritted teeth - I believe my logic at the time was “I’ve paid £XXX for a seat, so I want to make sure that it isn’t a really rubbish one in the centre double bed with a stranger”. However when weighing up BA J vs VS J, the lack of “having to pay” for a decent seat is a definite plus in the Virgin column.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Do they even cash in much on this? I mean most ppl flying CW are status passengers and the few that aren't probably wouldn't bother paying for that.
Best of it is some of those who pay to select their seats may even give BA more of their own money than those who earn BAEC status.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond
With BA, I just add the seat selection to the cost of the ticket. If it is still cheaper than the alternative (knowing that it is going to be a subpar J product anyway, it has to be a LOT cheaper than the alternative), then I will still do it.

If the ticket plus the seats is close to or equal to the competition (who probably won't try to cram 7 across in J) then I usually chose the competition.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by subject2load
Seat fees of £544 are certainly very steep (or as others have said, quite ridiculous) ..... and I speak as one of those who would not actually be required to pay them.

But is that fare quote of £10.5K for two returns in CW to CPT correct ... I feel sure that cannot be accurate !?
For anyone willing to have an aircraft change and longer journey, another OW carrier would charge around £5K for two returns in April - and seat selection would be complimentary, even without status.

Yes .... when every seat offers direct aisle access, decent storage, and added privacy ..... it’s really hard to see how the seat fee gravy train will keep rolling along, gathering cash bonanzas across the long-haul network as it has done for so long. There will have to be some strategy for replacing it ; a few extra pounds on fares here & there might not attract too much attention - but something in the order of a £272 fare hike on a CW return fare wouldn’t exactly go unnoticed
My bad, I picked random dates in April without thinking when Easter is and the dates were across Easter. I thought it was pretty expensive but didn't think about the reasons. It does not impact on the point though which was how expensive seat selection is for non status passengers.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
With BA, I just add the seat selection to the cost of the ticket. If it is still cheaper than the alternative (knowing that it is going to be a subpar J product anyway, it has to be a LOT cheaper than the alternative), then I will still do it.

If the ticket plus the seats is close to or equal to the competition (who probably won't try to cram 7 across in J) then I usually chose the competition.
This, in large part, is why the new CW suite has received such positive early reviews : not only does it address the well-known shortcomings of the ‘old’ CW seat, but with far less variation in comparative quality / desirability across the cabin, there should, in turn, be significantly less (perhaps even zero ... ?) motivation on the part of many - including yourself - who currently choose to pay to be sure of a specific, preferred, seat.
argonath and contractor like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:56 am

I was wondering about those fares. At that price, I'd hazard a guess that they book into a flexible bucket that includes seat selection.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I was wondering about those fares. At that price, I'd hazard a guess that they book into a flexible bucket that includes seat selection.
Well, at £10.5K for two, you sure would hope so I did see such a fare out on 8 April, back on 18th (though not sure which bucket it would be)

That aside, you could save almost £5K by booking the trip - also over Easter, same dates - with Qatar, on their LHR service (and with nice A350’s), but of course with an a/c change in DOH.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
This, in large part, is why the new CW suite has received such positive early reviews : not only does it address the well-known shortcomings of the ‘old’ CW seat, but with far less variation in comparative quality / desirability across the cabin, there should, in turn, be significantly less (perhaps even zero ... ?) motivation on the part of many - including yourself - who currently choose to pay to be sure of a specific, preferred, seat.
I agree.

I can't wait to try the new CW suite. I would still add the cost of choosing a seat into the equation, but I am looking forward to it.

I just did a comparison for a simple one way ticket from LHR to FRA. BA and LH were the same price. Pretty much the same equipment. Left at the same time. But LH is going to let me choose my seat for free. Its a no brainer. I purchased the ticket from Lufthansa.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
LX has done the same thing apparently

LX raises price for throne pre-selection...grrr
No they have not done the same. Seat selection is free in C within LH group apart from the throne seats. Throne seats become free around 48h before the flight and they are free during check in. BA is charging for all the C seats.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I just did a comparison for a simple one way ticket from LHR to FRA. BA and LH were the same price. Pretty much the same equipment. Left at the same time. But LH is going to let me choose my seat for free. Its a no brainer. I purchased the ticket from Lufthansa.
To be honest, if the free food and drink as opposed to paying for a glass of water or a cup of tea was not enough to convince you...
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
To be honest, if the free food and drink as opposed to paying for a glass of water or a cup of tea was not enough to convince you...
I've never flown BA in economy. They charge for non alcoholic drinks? Goodness.

I thought it was bad they charged for seat selection in Business Class.

I flew them a couple of times last year in Club Europe. I enjoyed the service. The crew was wonderful. But I couldn't imagine.
wrp96, nancypants and AJNEDC like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.