Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat reservation fees increase

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Misco60
It's hardly the most impartial of articles, is it?

The two routes the blog chooses to illustrate BA's "price gouging", LHR-JFK and LHR-LAX, are routes on which it faces a great deal of competition. If passengers don't want to pay the seat selection fees then they can choose another airline on which they get free seat selection but end up paying more overall.

No-one likes paying to select a seat but that's BA's business model. It clearly works for them, and it definitely works for BA's higher-status passengers. There's no point continuing to rage about it.
Of course it is not impartial...But doesn't that depend on what color lenses one sees thru ? BUT FACTUAL !
My experience in life is where the competition is strong / fierce a business usually changes some key factors such as quality, quantity, price, service, etc. Price generally goes DOWN.

No quarrel re it is BA's prerogative. It works today...no one know how it will work when more airlines excel, get more slots at LHR etc. Definitely it works for status holders, but in the long run will it attract more to go for status ? Right now if one wants to a long haul of a total of 15 -18 hrs on a redemption in J with desired seat selection Airline Imposed Fees and seat selection can top $ 1800 over and above the avios required. Yes it works, but anecdotally I know four couples who have abandoned BA completely ,,,and they used to chide me for flying ME3s ! Now they fly EY or QR.
Presenting facts or supporting data is NOT Raging about it, but of course you have a right to your opinion.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HMPS
Of course it is not impartial...But doesn't that depend on what color lenses one sees thru ? BUT FACTUAL !
My experience in life is where the competition is strong / fierce a business usually changes some key factors such as quality, quantity, price, service, etc. Price generally goes DOWN.

No quarrel re it is BA's prerogative. It works today...no one know how it will work when more airlines excel, get more slots at LHR etc. Definitely it works for status holders, but in the long run will it attract more to go for status ? Right now if one wants to a long haul of a total of 15 -18 hrs on a redemption in J with desired seat selection Airline Imposed Fees and seat selection can top $ 1800 over and above the avios required. Yes it works, but anecdotally I know four couples who have abandoned BA completely ,,,and they used to chide me for flying ME3s ! Now they fly EY or QR.
Presenting facts or supporting data is NOT Raging about it, but of course you have a right to your opinion.
I always remember the speech WW gave many years ago when he announced that the restructuring of the airline had to take place due to the way the airline industry had changed. He admitted BA customers would be lost due to the airline not being able to compete with some airlines in certain areas as it would be financial suicide to do so. However he did say he could compete with them in other areas.
Mistakes will no doubt have been made but looking at it from a business perspective he doesn't seem to have done too badly wouldn't you say?
TedToToe likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: Amex BA/platinum, BAec blue.
Huge increase for reserving seats

A friend of mine has just had to pay £144.00 per person one way, for upper deck
on fights to Cape Town in October 2020. Massive increase on the existing £91.00.
Sorry if this has been mentioned in a previous post.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
That’s beyond ridiculous but if people are willing to pay it then they will keep taking the money.

£288 (per couple) will go a long way in Cape Town.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
I've just done a dummy booking LHR - CPT without logging in. I'm seeing £136pp each way to reserve seats on the upper deck. So £544 return for a couple. Seems somewhat steep given the flights on random dates I picked in April worked out at £10,500 return for two people in CW!

I suppose we could argue that it adds value to those of us that have status but I struggle to see how people without status would justify these sorts of prices just to pick seats.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
That's supply and demand. There are few of these good seats.
The alternative is to be a loyal customer. Status gets it for free.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If people are foolish enough to pay those prices, why on earth should ba refrain from charging them? A seat selection is just a luxury purchase like any other, and like all luxury purchases, the price is determined by what people are willing to pay with the funny twist that sometimes a higher price makes the purchase more likely as people thus imagine it's a really valuable luxury if it costs that much. That’s why Hermes charges more for their handbags than all other brands - and in a very different way why ba charges those ridiculous amounts for upper deck cw seats.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 7, 2019 at 11:16 am
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Flying Blue, HH, Melia and many others
Booking the seats at the same time as the flight, they are less expensive by 8 to 12 € per seat as if you book them after in MMB
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: BA
I know this is a common thread on here but I can’t help thinking that the number of people booking seats in CW will reduce dramatically once the Club Suites are rolled out fully. Maybe BA are trying to cash in whilst they still can.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Do they even cash in much on this? I mean most ppl flying CW are status passengers and the few that aren't probably wouldn't bother paying for that.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Do they even cash in much on this? I mean most ppl flying CW are status passengers and the few that aren't probably wouldn't bother paying for that.
I suppose it’s money for jam so even if 1 person per flight per day (say 100 flights offering the facility for easy maths), pays £100 to reserve their seat, that’s £3.65 million a year which has got to be almost entirely profit. What are their overheads for paid seat selection?
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
£544 return seems rather steep! Would it be possible to get enough TPs for silver for that kind of money? It can’t be far off and arguably better value, maybe the TLL run?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Before I was gold I used to pay to choose my seat
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
£544 return seems rather steep! Would it be possible to get enough TPs for silver for that kind of money? It can’t be far off and arguably better value, maybe the TLL run?
Whoever has the amount of cash to blow 544 GBP on seat selection on personal travel without thinking about it probably couldn't be bothered for a TP run!
I love flying, but for me time is the most important commodity of life and not money!
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:11 am

Perhaps BA are trying to ensure that there reasonable numbers of "good" seats left for frequent flyers who cannot plan to use specific flights a year in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.