Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat reservation fees increase

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
BA is my last port of call for long haul flying due to their general malaise in every aspect of comfort, refreshment and cleanliness.

The charge for seating is simply the poisoned berry on the cake!
Old May 13, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by smokie36
BA is my last port of call for long haul flying due to their general malaise in every aspect of comfort, refreshment and cleanliness.

The charge for seating is simply the poisoned berry on the cake!
But your profile says you're Silver, so you don't have to pay for seating.
smokie36 and mikeyfly like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
. By the way, Emirates also charges for seat assignments for their Business Class..
No they don't - this is taken directly from their seat selection Q&A:If you're travelling in First or Business Class you do not need to pay for seat selection.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by cosmo74
No they don't - this is taken directly from their seat selection Q&A:If you're travelling in First or Business Class you do not need to pay for seat selection.
I suspect ISTFlyer may be getting confused with a (relatively new) discounted Emirates Business Class ‘Special’ fare which was introduced last year.

Advanced seat selection, at time of booking, is complimentary for Business Class Saver, Flex, or Flex Plus fares. On the Special fare (not always available) you can select a complimentary seat when OLCI opens.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:19 am
Suspended

Seat selections costs are always rather high plenty of ways to get free seating though even without status
Old May 13, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: BA. Aeroplan
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I'm not sure about the disclosed and known bit. The only people affected by this are those who travel BA infrequently - by definition those who would least know about this rule. And BA are hardly proactive in their communication, the marketing slogan is not "a relaxed place to work and you have to pay for seat assignment".
I suppose I am “infrequent” these days but 4 trips per year (2 of us) to YVR in Club is business I would have thought any airline may want, but BA at £165 per seat is I believe exorbitant. I’m only Bronze now. As IST mentioned, Air Canada (and West Jet) do not charge for seat reservation so maybe BA is not for me on this route. Is that good marketing?
Old May 13, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Misco60
But your profile says you're Silver, so you don't have to pay for seating.
Amusingly true...all of my BA flights are short haul CE....and I never book my seat.

I've grown to loathe the Galleries Club lounges however after spending time in T3 on long haul....if I could do Qatar shorthaul I'd be gone forever.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by laktex
I suppose I am “infrequent” these days but 4 trips per year (2 of us) to YVR in Club is business I would have thought any airline may want, but BA at £165 per seat is I believe exorbitant. I’m only Bronze now. As IST mentioned, Air Canada (and West Jet) do not charge for seat reservation so maybe BA is not for me on this route. Is that good marketing?
Four CW trips per year? A minimum earn of 1120 Tier Points would keep you easily Silver, in fact make one of them slightly convoluted and you’d always be Gold
Old May 13, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
I suspect ISTFlyer may be getting confused with a (relatively new) discounted Emirates Business Class ‘Special’ fare which was introduced last year.

Advanced seat selection, at time of booking, is complimentary for Business Class Saver, Flex, or Flex Plus fares. On the Special fare (not always available) you can select a complimentary seat when OLCI opens.
Indeed I was mentioning about this Special discounted fare.
Also, a reminder that BA does not charge for seats on flexible Club World/Club Europe fares.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Indeed I was mentioning about this Special discounted fare.
Also, a reminder that BA does not charge for seats on flexible Club World/Club Europe fares.
Or on corporate and Trade tickets, also some traditional travel agents have wangled seat selection for their customers. Plus tickets get seat selection at T-48 hours.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by laktex
You can always travel with Air Canada direct. Their product is a bit better than the current CW and also you will have access to one of the best Business class lounges in the world ( Signature suite).
Old May 13, 2020, 4:27 pm

The introduction of Club Suite will reduce the desire to pay for seats somewhat as there are fewer good/bad seats in Club. Though, and I say this as someone who (not living in London) has never flown BA frequently enough to have status, prioritising people who repeatedly spend a lot of money with you makes sense, replacing Tier Points with a £ spent quota would seem sensible, if perhaps not be popular on here.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Turnhouse1
The introduction of Club Suite will reduce the desire to pay for seats somewhat as there are fewer good/bad seats in Club. Though, and I say this as someone who (not living in London) has never flown BA frequently enough to have status, prioritising people who repeatedly spend a lot of money with you makes sense, replacing Tier Points with a £ spent quota would seem sensible, if perhaps not be popular on here.
Believe me or not, the US approach ( money spent toward status ) would not work here in Europe.
The airline who invents a system like the US approach would have shot their own face.
Old May 14, 2020, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Believe me or not, the US approach ( money spent toward status ) would not work here in Europe.
The airline who invents a system like the US approach would have shot their own face.
Can you expand - I'm curious!
Old May 14, 2020, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyCarmello
Can you expand - I'm curious!
Sure,
What I meant by the US approach is that status determined by the amount you paid to the airline instead of miles flown.

An example is United MileagePlus where the miles flown has no effect on status, but the amount paid to the airline has.
Miles + money spent would also not work in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.