Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 2:32 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I have gone back and re-read the post that launched this flood of increasingly self-justifying cant. The title might just as well have been Slob on A Plane. The main sticking point seems to be that he took a picture. He probably did so since it established that he was telling it as it was. Now I would not have bothered, but he is giving what he saw without embellishments. I often wonder if people object to such pictures because their own conduct might attract such attention welcome or otherwise. As we live in a world where people do seem to have cameras running daily, it is naive to suppose that these pictures might surface one day. Clearly we live in an age where no one seems to care how they dress, how they smell, or how they conduct themselves. No one seems to consider other people anymore. We also live i. A world where people complain about the least little thing. This Forum would be empty if people did not. In this instance, if the person had kept his bag out of sight (Which is hardly difficult in F) no one would have been any the wiser and neither would I.

Im at a loss to know what this thread has to do with British Airways other than someone amazed to try and lower the tone that the airline attempt to set. It happened to be British Airways, it could have been any carrier.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
There have now been twelve pages of comments and thoughts.

Does the OP feel any closer to an answer to the two questions that were posed?
Old May 12, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I guess I won't be bringing my favourite Durian and Surstromming smoothie on board any time soon.
IAMORGAN, wrp96 and Ajm1987 like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I have gone back and re-read the post that launched this flood of increasingly self-justifying cant. The title might just as well have been Slob on A Plane. The main sticking point seems to be that he took a picture. He probably did so since it established that he was telling it as it was. Now I would not have bothered, but he is giving what he saw without embellishments. I often wonder if people object to such pictures because their own conduct might attract such attention welcome or otherwise. As we live in a world where people do seem to have cameras running daily, it is naive to suppose that these pictures might surface one day. Clearly we live in an age where no one seems to care how they dress, how they smell, or how they conduct themselves. No one seems to consider other people anymore. We also live i. A world where people complain about the least little thing. This Forum would be empty if people did not. In this instance, if the person had kept his bag out of sight (Which is hardly difficult in F) no one would have been any the wiser and neither would I.

Im at a loss to know what this thread has to do with British Airways other than someone amazed to try and lower the tone that the airline attempt to set. It happened to be British Airways, it could have been any carrier.
to be fair, people fly F often for privacy reasons and if people start taking pictures of other pax in first that eroded the product far more than any good being consumed will do IMHO. I’ve no need for a picture to justify what someone is saying to be true.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
If you substitute 'chicken nuggets' with 'packet of crisps' or 'mars bar' is it still so offensive?
CoweyB and muji like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by navylad
to be fair, people fly F often for privacy reasons and if people start taking pictures of other pax in first that eroded the product far more than any good being consumed will do IMHO. I’ve no need for a picture to justify what someone is saying to be true.
I think I'm typically on the more paranoid end of the scale on privacy and take intrusion very seriously, but I must say that I have no issue with the photo taken by the OP in this case. This really is a photo of a bag of McNuggets rather than of a passenger of whom you only see jeans. If anything, really pushing it, if the OP had mentioned the date of his trip, mentioning that the other passenger he was talking about was in 1A might enable some particularly well-informed people to identify him. I don't think anybody could reconstitute the identity of the passenger from the photo though.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think I'm typically on the more paranoid end of the scale on privacy and take intrusion very seriously, but I must say that I have no issue with the photo taken by the OP in this case. This really is a photo of a bag of McNuggets rather than of a passenger of whom you only see jeans. If anything, really pushing it, if the OP had mentioned the date of his trip, mentioning that the other passenger he was talking about was in 1A might enable some particularly well-informed people to identify him. I don't think anybody could reconstitute the identity of the passenger from the photo though.
I was talking more generally rather than the specifics. Equally what the photo does demonstrate is that there is no evidence of a high BMI, with some posters stating that such activity would make it more likely that the individual will snore or pass wind, I’d suggest there is no evidence to justify that claim.
muji likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
with some posters stating that such activity would make it more likely that the individual will snore or pass wind, I’d suggest there is no evidence to justify that claim.
It was me who said it. My BMI is on the low end but I can promise you that I am far more prone to snore and fart when I eat fatter or richer food (or for that matter if I drink more alcohol) than when I make lighter meals and drink water. (in other words, my suggestion was not about the person's overall likelihood to do those things vs other people of which I have no idea, but of the likelihood of people to do those things after eating nuggets, burgers, or fries, vs the same people after eating a poached chicken breast and some chargrilled broccolini or the likes).

I fully agree about your general point on photos taking. I don't need it either and personally don't think it is a positive trend at all. It's just that within that particular trend, that particular photo whilst not adding anything is much less problematic than many others we have seen on FT in recent months.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 12, 2019 at 4:00 am
Old May 12, 2019, 4:14 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by TTmex
I remember being in a supermarket where a guy in front of me at the checkout had three items on the belt. Strawberries, prosecco and a pack of condoms. Whatever satisfies the cravings at the time...
A few years ago I had an employee in Australia expense 5 condoms on 2 consecutive nights. I signed it, turning a discretionary blind eye because he had landed a huge deal in the same month but I fully expected a bit of a backlash from the Accounts department when they came to process it. This was in the days before companies had huge procedures on financial compliance etc

Amusingly the reaction from the all female Accounts department was not my anticipated one - that of we absolutely should not be expensing condoms, it was more about the bloke having had 10 condoms over 2 nights and what a stud he must be!! - it was the talk of the office for a week or so. The employee had been with the company less than a year and had not visited us in the UK yet so there was much anticipation when he did a few months later - the expectation was he would be 6ft tall, slim, athletic and handsome. He turned out to be about 5ft 5in, advanced balding hair and a fair size beer belly
Old May 12, 2019, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
It was me who said it. My BMI is on the low end but I can promise you that I am far more prone to snore and fart when I eat fatter or richer food (or for that matter if I drink more alcohol) than when I make lighter meals and drink water. (in other words, my suggestion was not about the person's overall likelihood to do those things vs other people of which I have no idea, but of the likelihood of people to do those things after eating nuggets, burgers, or fries, vs the same people after eating a poached chicken breast and some chargrilled broccolini or the likes).

I fully agree about your general point on photos taking. I don't need it either and personally don't think it is a positive trend at all. It's just that within that particular trend, that particular photo whilst not adding anything is much less problematic than many others we have seen on FT in recent months.
Thanks for sharing, it is interesting to hear as the evidence for increased snoring due to the consumption of specific foods is sparse (unlike the risk of reflux), what there is good evidence for is that it is often multi-faceted some of which we as individuals can’t control on an aircraft such as age, air humidity, sleeping position (less so with BA than with airlines with foot coffins that stop one sleeping on one’s side) and some things we can control- acute alcohol consumption, use of benzodiazepines often taken by a nervous flyer, sleeping shortly after a meal or smoking.

I don’t see anyone shunning someone for drinking onboard in case they snore, nor would I judge someone’s eating habits as this may increase the likelihood, I just concern myself with my own effect on others which I’m sure you do too.

i would agree that it certainly isn’t the worst photo in terms of intrusion.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by amt
He’s celebrating... MCD hit an all time high yesterday, touching $200 for the first time ever and doubling in value over 40 months, including 20% gain in the last year alone.

Last year I mentioned I was planning to buy more while sitting with a group of millennials and young execs who positively balked at the idea of holding shares in a company that they scoot right past on their way to work, that none of their peers or social media personalities they follow thought was cool, declaring it dead, no one eats there, it will be gone in a few years. Who isn’t going vegan these days anyway?

So yeah I’d love to celebrate with a Big Mac in F class while the rest of the cabin nurses their champagne hangovers and watches their Lyft and Uber stock fall further.

Vegan "food" is disgusting.
BlueThroughCrimp and SkyTeem like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (OneWorld Emerald) & Hilton Honors Diamond
Well you might care if he gobbled down 2KG of sugar free gummybears, apparently in large quantity they cause violent diarrhea and cramps, so around the First toilet area you may well end up smelling it! Poooooooo
Old May 12, 2019, 4:34 am

air humidity
That definitely too! I certainly can feel the difference both directly and indirectly (because it also means sleeping less well)

I just concern myself with my own effect on others which I’m sure you do too.

Certainly, and to clarify, I would have never mentioned this except that I was answering a post that suggested that this was an "either/or" situation which would imply a negative correlation between eating greasy fast food and other forms of negative impact on other pax. As mentioned upthread, I'd prefer others not to bring food I can smell too much but if they want to do so, that is their business. They can also drink alcohol and pig out on the inflight meal if they want. What I know is that I won't bring any food that smells (and again, I do sometimes bring my own food on short haul Y flights), I don't drink alcohol on flights or one glass maximum, and I've been known to make an effort not to fall asleep at all when I had a cold and was pretty certain that as a result, if I did fall asleep, I'd undoubtedly be a lot more likely to snore than usual. That said, if I choose to eat light and skip the wine, it's not nearly as much to not bother others as because I've long realised that my own travel becomes a lot more comfortable and a lot less tiring as a result. Flights do a lot to your system - the conditions are far from what you'd normally get on the ground in a number of ways (not just oxygen and humidity but also the fact that you are a lot more sedentary than you ideally should be) and comes a point when self-discipline seems like a sensible path.
IAMORGAN and navylad like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
In the early 1990s United actually served McDonalds onboard their aircraft. I can't personally bring myself to describing that stuff as real food, but I do wish I had bought shares in the company years ago.

I once was offered fancy chocolate in BA First Class, and it did not really appeal so asked for Mars Bars from Club World and got an "Oh, no we can't do that" and it was suggested I go back to the Club World Galley to get one from there, and consume it there!
I generally ask the crew to bring me Gordon's and cans of tonic from CW as a) I like to mix it myself and b) I don't like the perfume-like taste of T10. No-one ever told me they couldn't do that.

I apologise in advance if the sight of miniatures and cans is lowering the tone of the cabin that the airline may be attempting to set, as it was implied, but as a paying customer I really don't care.
scfw0x0f likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:54 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

I have checked a definition of privacy this (this has even less to do with BA!)

Where one is not observed or disturbed by other people, or being free from public attention. ,

I fear that privacy is forfeit almost as soon as you step out of bed. I think too, in this very specific incident that no head shot of the person nor indeed any recognisable feature is shown. Someone might think " Oh Heavens - that was me".

I would also say my Love, that nowadays on the internet in general and here in particular I have so little faith in the veracity of some of the tales of woe that I do actually appreciate someone proving their point. Look at how many pictures we have had of filth on aircraft! Granted, they could have been taken anywhere - and indeed I do realise that this is a two edged sword when you get these interminable Trip Reports with photos of absolutely every trite and trivial little detail. You make an interesting point about the privacy issue in F. By the same token if the photo had been taken in Y would that somehow have made it more acceptable as in Y on any airline privacy is negligible. Nevertheless the point about privacy is interesting. I wonder whether people found the smell of those things intrusive. Indeed one may debate whether people like him, call attention to themselves by doing something like this.

Still, apart from the fact that it happened aboard a BA flight, it seems to have little to de with BA.

Just my thoughts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.