Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First soft product: your experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Has anyone experienced the new F service from Gatwick?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
Just use a different carrier if it is so hard to bear?
By the way.. The pink Lanson tastes great. It's not always the price that matters
it may taste great to you
but wine can be a very personal taste.

if you want great in most kinds then fly JAL. Last flight with them in F had Cristal 2009, Salon 2007, or a vintage taitinger, plus a NV. 4 choices for just 8 pax, then another 12 red, while and sake options. On crewing, tHey had 3, and for meal service 4, crew serving 8 passengers. Superb all round and if JAL can do it with their cost base is nt it time BA accelerates removal of F to all but the few routes that justify it, and then crews up and adds the premium back line JAL?
(Beats me why anyone *pays* to fly BA F to Tokyo)
Admiral Ackbar, NYLON Boy and HMPS like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I flew first from Heathrow to Toronto last Sunday and experienced my inaugural "new" first experience. Flying on RAES for the second time in a fortnight, there are elements which remain the same (obviously). This included an old airframe though the cabin was clean at least. Inexperienced MF crew who were all over the place on boarding. We were both waived to our seats with no-one available to take us, with crew still in the front galley finishing a cup of tea. Being in twin middle seats, nothing was joined up despite me and Mr Mikey Mike Mike clearly being a couple and travelling together. All of the pre-board stuff came separately with the bubbly 10 mins apart. He got a menu before take off, I didn't. The best thing is the new style bag. I asked for the women's and it was far better - in look and contents than the men's bag which was strangely furry on the outside. We did the buddy dining and every course came at a different time including wines. With only 3 crew in first (with one in the galley), I understand that buddy dining needs co-ordination but sitting opposite each other puts us in a difficult position if the food arrives in relays - definitely not a first class experience.
I did like the new crockery and glassware but the food was very average, not very hot, and not very much of it. (bring on the new caterers) The wines were the biggest disappointment of the experience with some very average reds and whites where despite the attempt to talk them up in their description, were not first class wines by name or taste. I have no idea why BA think this new 6 quid a bottle average is going to pay off on the long term, but first world issues i guess.

The crew were sweet, friendly and more relaxed than some MF crew I've had in biz or first. The reality is, that the best service I've had in first and biz has been with LH crew who whilst occasionally cranky, provide a more joined up, professional and personalised service - especially when flying as a couple.
I do appreciate the effort BA are (finally) putting into all classes in terms of genuine enhancements (and tweaking) of service. On the Canadian routes, BA now is miles aheads of AC in everything other than the seating config.
I think the new BA First once bedded in will be a superior product but it will only shine if the people delivering up provide first class service. The irony of the first enhancements on a fleet of diminishing first availability which will get worse with the arrivals of the new A350 is not lost on me
NYLON Boy, HMPS and chris87 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
I flew first from Heathrow to Toronto last Sunday and experienced my inaugural "new" first experience. Flying on RAES for the second time in a fortnight, there are elements which remain the same (obviously). This included an old airframe though the cabin was clean at least. Inexperienced MF crew who were all over the place on boarding. We were both waived to our seats with no-one available to take us, with crew still in the front galley finishing a cup of tea. Being in twin middle seats, nothing was joined up despite me and Mr Mikey Mike Mike clearly being a couple and travelling together. All of the pre-board stuff came separately with the bubbly 10 mins apart. He got a menu before take off, I didn't. The best thing is the new style bag. I asked for the women's and it was far better - in look and contents than the men's bag which was strangely furry on the outside. We did the buddy dining and every course came at a different time including wines. With only 3 crew in first (with one in the galley), I understand that buddy dining needs co-ordination but sitting opposite each other puts us in a difficult position if the food arrives in relays - definitely not a first class experience.
I did like the new crockery and glassware but the food was very average, not very hot, and not very much of it. (bring on the new caterers) The wines were the biggest disappointment of the experience with some very average reds and whites where despite the attempt to talk them up in their description, were not first class wines by name or taste. I have no idea why BA think this new 6 quid a bottle average is going to pay off on the long term, but first world issues i guess.

The crew were sweet, friendly and more relaxed than some MF crew I've had in biz or first. The reality is, that the best service I've had in first and biz has been with LH crew who whilst occasionally cranky, provide a more joined up, professional and personalised service - especially when flying as a couple.
I do appreciate the effort BA are (finally) putting into all classes in terms of genuine enhancements (and tweaking) of service. On the Canadian routes, BA now is miles aheads of AC in everything other than the seating config.
I think the new BA First once bedded in will be a superior product but it will only shine if the people delivering up provide first class service. The irony of the first enhancements on a fleet of diminishing first availability which will get worse with the arrivals of the new A350 is not lost on me

Which wine served in F can be bought for Ł6 ?

Thanks

DtB
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by Down the back

Which wine served in F can be bought for Ł6 ?

Thanks

DtB

I can pick up the (admittedly rather lovely) Esk Valley SB for Ł8.99 a bottle. The Ł6 figure is for cellar door price, which will be quite a lot less
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I know it's an average across classes, and probably Biz is where wine lovers will be most underwhelmed! The Margaux was good to be fair, but the wines on comments in general still stand. At least in PE / Economy, BA offer a choice of reds and whites but no Rose
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
I can pick up the (admittedly rather lovely) Esk Valley SB for Ł8.99 a bottle. The Ł6 figure is for cellar door price, which will be quite a lot less
Thanks Gastrocnemius,

The Esk Valley wasn’t offered on my flight yesterday, I rather enjoyed the Chablis Grand Cru Bourgogne 2014 with the Loch Fyne Salmon, with the beef I had the Chateau Nenin 2006 Pomerol. I don’t know how much either of these wines cost but neither of them tasted like a Ł6 wine, not that I am any expert on wines or their cost.

Regards

DtB

Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by DFB_london

if you want great in most kinds then fly JAL. Last flight with them in F had Cristal 2009, Salon 2007, or a vintage taitinger, plus a NV. 4 choices for just 8 pax, then another 12 red, while and sake options. On crewing, tHey had 3, and for meal service 4, crew serving 8 passengers. Superb all round and if JAL can do it with their cost base is nt it time BA accelerates removal of F to all but the few routes that justify it, and then crews up and adds the premium back line JAL?
Of course it is a choice of taste.
But if you compare the price of wine in jal f with ba f... What about the price of the ticket?
I'm. Pretty sure I can take a couple of bottles of that nice champagne on board myself for the difference to jal? Not saying I don't enjoy premium wines and champagne . I love to have the choice between Krug and dom on Sq..
​​​​​​ I guess it is good that you point out why there are different first products .
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DFB_london

The average LON-TYO return F price on BA is around Ł4k+. The average for JL is Ł8k+ and until recently it was around Ł11k - Ł12k. I fly BA and JL F a lot given I live in Tokyo so monitor these prices very often. Sometimes BA include JL codeshare flights for Ł4k and when they do I grab them but mostly their lowest fare is exclusive to BA operated flight numbers.

I love JL F but it is cheaper to buy Cristal from Enoteca when you get to Tokyo.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC GfL;LH M&M FQTV ; SPG Gold ; A-Club Gold;HHonnors Diamond
First Wine Query

Thanks Gastrocnemius,

The Esk Valley wasn’t offered on my flight yesterday, I rather enjoyed the Chablis Grand Cru Bourgogne 2014 with the Loch Fyne Salmon, with the beef I had the Chateau Nenin 2006 Pomerol. I don’t know how much either of these wines cost but neither of them tasted like a Ł6 wine, not that I am any expert on wines or their cost.

Regards

DtB

on my recent LHR-GRU First flight I had a glass of Rully Blanc 1er Cru, Domaine BelleVille,2014/2015.I really enjoyed it and would like to purchase 1or 2 boxes.The list price is around Euro 25-27 per bottle.
Only problem there are 3 different ones: „ Chapitre“,“La Perche“,“La Pucelle“ and I don‘t remember which one I drank.The wine menu doesn‘t tell.
So I kindly ask for somebody flying these days to have a look for me and give it a try and post also your remarks about this burgundy here, I think it is a nice wine for this price.

many thanks,
happy Easter
ettrich
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by ettrich

on my recent LHR-GRU First flight I had a glass of Rully Blanc 1er Cru, Domaine BelleVille,2014/2015.I really enjoyed it and would like to purchase 1or 2 boxes.The list price is around Euro 25-27 per bottle.
Only problem there are 3 different ones: „ Chapitre“,“La Perche“,“La Pucelle“ and I don‘t remember which one I drank.The wine menu doesn‘t tell.
So I kindly ask for somebody flying these days to have a look for me and give it a try and post also your remarks about this burgundy here, I think it is a nice wine for this price.

many thanks,
happy Easter
ettrich
I have checked our wine chats and I’m afraid it doesn’t say.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by ettrich

many thanks,
happy Easter
ettrich
It’s due to be served on my flight from KUL tomorrow evening. I will check the label for you.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
On my flight from Abu Dhabi it was Rully Chapitre.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by Will100

Homophobia is not welcome here, you used it in a negative way.

Its a description, a factual observation, simply saying it seems inappropriate. PC has gone barking mad, soon we wont be ale to say "its hot" as it might offend some warm people.

GET.A.LIFE
SW7London and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...

I rather enjoyed the Chablis Grand Cru Bourgogne 2014 with the Loch Fyne Salmon, with the beef I had the Chateau Nenin 2006 Pomerol. I don’t know how much either of these wines cost but neither of them tasted like a Ł6 wine, not that I am any expert on wines or their cost.
I’m not a wine expert either. My experience of BA F wine lists, especially in the last couple of years, is that they are always headed by a white burgundy and a claret, which are generally in the range of GBP 25-40 UK retail price. The remainder of the wines on the list tend to be in the GBP 10-20 UK retail price range and heavily New World in origin (along with some Sancerre and quite a bit of Grüner Veltliner appearing on the white lists), so you were likely drinking the most expensive wines on the list (excluding bubbles).

Haven’t personally seen any Pomerol recently. Either by design or coincidence, nearly all the claret options on my BA F flights in the last year have been Saint-Émilion of some kind (I suppose they are at least neighbours). I’ve only done one F flight since the new service came in, and I did notice that the red list had been increased from 3 to 4 wines, 2 of them being Bordeaux (both Saint-Émilion ). This was just as well, since one of them had not been loaded...however the one I had (Bellefont-Belcier 2011) was reasonably good, as was the Chassagne-Montrachet.

Last edited by Oaxaca; Apr 22, 2019 at 5:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.