Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First soft product: your experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

SEA-LHR New First Impressions

Settled in the Sofitel after our flight SEA-LHR in F. ( on to Athens in the morning)
A few observations:
1. Overall pretty good. What I expected.
2. Dinner was served front to back . Breakfast back to front....so even though I was one of the first people up, it took about 45 minutes to get a cup of coffee. ( instant coffee too )
3. Food alright. Had the halibut, veal, and ice cream for dessert. Service was fine but way too slow for me. I had asked for everything to come out as it was readied but I don't think that happened.
4. Decent movie selection
5. Bedding comfortable, but the cabin temperature too hot and the mild to medium turbulence ( tepid flyer) kept me from sleeping for more than a couple hours.
6. Earphones in need of review. I agree with the post above...after one movie they hurt too much to wear anymore. My husbands set had to be replaced twice before he found a pair that worked.....but he added that towards the end of the flight only one speaker was working.
7. I like the new pj's but miss the " First" logo. ( how will impress my friends?) No slippers offered.
8. The head purser came around twice to talk to us.
9. The crew signed a birthday card and gave my husband a bottle of decent champagne with instructions on how to get it through our next two flights. We passed and offered it to the crew to have a drink on us.
9. The gentleman in 1A must have been a VIP.... 1K was blocked and he seem to be well known on board. Was incredibly friendly to us and even walked us over to the immigration area.

Over all a good flight.... but when we got to the Sofitel this afternoon,( immigration was 2 minutes with no line @Fast track) we both looked at each other and said we are getting too old for these long flights.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Over all a good flight.... but when we got to the Sofitel this afternoon,( immigration was 2 minutes with no line @Fast track) we both looked at each other and said we are getting too old for these long flights.
Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. Travel is our hobby, and I dread the thought of not doing it any more. For now we’re fine for 12 hours, even if only in Club, but I will admit that we’re unlikely to repeat the 36-hour, 5-sector trips home from Hawaii.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. Travel is our hobby, and I dread the thought of not doing it any more. For now we’re fine for 12 hours, even if only in Club, but I will admit that we’re unlikely to repeat the 36-hour, 5-sector trips home from Hawaii.
For us Hawaii is non-stop in 5 hours....
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:32 am

I was not impressed with the service LHR-SFO on the A380. It took two hours from the canapes to the starters, and there was not a single pass through the cabin to refresh drinks or offer anything to nibble on. I had to request drinks from the galley and was offered a pack of crisps when I asked for something to eat. The "chef" moaned a bit about how difficult it was to plate the food. My starter was cold strips of bresaola topped with dots of tuna mayo and capers - it doesn't seem like rocket science to me. And that was my second choice - by row 2, all the scallops had gone.

Has the crew on this flight changed to MF from WW? It felt much more like MF.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by ShortDog
I was not impressed with the service LHR-SFO on the A380. It took two hours from the canapes to the starters, and there was not a single pass through the cabin to refresh drinks or offer anything to nibble on. I had to request drinks from the galley and was offered a pack of crisps when I asked for something to eat. The "chef" moaned a bit about how difficult it was to plate the food. My starter was cold strips of bresaola topped with dots of tuna mayo and capers - it doesn't seem like rocket science to me. And that was my second choice - by row 2, all the scallops had gone.

Ack! That's my common route. Next SFO F is in May. I hope they get it sorted out by then or that's it's just that combination of crew. Slow service isn't great on day time flights, but on the SFO-LHR flight getting prompt and efficient meal service is important to me - I need my beauty sleep!

rb211.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold

I am on this flight tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a better service than you experienced, it sound more to do with the crew than the new soft product itself.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Gomac
I am on this flight tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a better service than you experienced, it sound more to do with the crew than the new soft product itself.
Please let us know how it goes, and have a good flight!

rb211.
Gomac likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I have had 2 flights with the new F service and have been impressed. I particularly liked the canapes and the day blanket, although it left a lot of fluff. On both flights some minor elements of the new service were not loaded, namely certain cutlery on the outbound and the doilies on the return.

The one area where I preferred the old service is the washbag. The new one has a comb rather than the brush/comb combo and whilst the new male bag has shaving gel it does not have a razor.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS
[QUOTE=david55;30977719]Settled in the Sofitel after our flight SEA-LHR in F. ( on to Athens in the morning)
. I like the new pj's but miss the " First" logo. ( how will impress my friends?) No slippers offered.

We were told ahead of time that slippers were by request only. So, had to remind hubby to ask for slippers when they came around for PJ size request.
We received slippers on both flights, but did ask.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:52 pm

Not sure what you mean by ‘felt much more like MF’.

SFO is operated by WW.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rubecula
I have had 2 flights with the new F service and have been impressed. I particularly liked the canapes and the day blanket, although it left a lot of fluff. On both flights some minor elements of the new service were not loaded, namely certain cutlery on the outbound and the doilies on the return.

The one area where I preferred the old service is the washbag. The new one has a comb rather than the brush/comb combo and whilst the new male bag has shaving gel it does not have a razor.
Yes they seem to have skimped on the male kit. No hand cream either Do you remember if it still contains the deodorant stick?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Executive club
Amenity kits

Flying to MEX this weekend on my first first. Do you think there is any way that the crew would be able to provide an additional ladies amenity kit for me to take as a gift for my mum? She’d love one...... I could swap my men’s kit, but obviously would rather have both if it’s possible! 😂
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Chrisnichols
Flying to MEX this weekend on my first first. Do you think there is any way that the crew would be able to provide an additional ladies amenity kit for me to take as a gift for my mum? She’d love one...... I could swap my men’s kit, but obviously would rather have both if it’s possible! 😂
If they have enough loaded I am sure they will. I asked for a female kit instead of male so I could give it to my niece, and the cabin crew very kindly gave me one of each.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Yes they seem to have skimped on the male kit. No hand cream either Do you remember if it still contains the deodorant stick?
No it doesn’t. There wasn’t a huge amount in there of any use in terms of products, to be honest. Lip balm, yes, but then eye cream (no handcream) and shaving foam with no razor... hmm... all a bit weird.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...

I had no such problems on the same flight a few days ago. Crew is definitely WW, and ours was very good Meals were served exactly at the times requested, no major gaps between courses and plenty of refills were offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.