FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New First soft product: your experiences
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:37 am
Down the back

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
I flew first from Heathrow to Toronto last Sunday and experienced my inaugural "new" first experience. Flying on RAES for the second time in a fortnight, there are elements which remain the same (obviously). This included an old airframe though the cabin was clean at least. Inexperienced MF crew who were all over the place on boarding. We were both waived to our seats with no-one available to take us, with crew still in the front galley finishing a cup of tea. Being in twin middle seats, nothing was joined up despite me and Mr Mikey Mike Mike clearly being a couple and travelling together. All of the pre-board stuff came separately with the bubbly 10 mins apart. He got a menu before take off, I didn't. The best thing is the new style bag. I asked for the women's and it was far better - in look and contents than the men's bag which was strangely furry on the outside. We did the buddy dining and every course came at a different time including wines. With only 3 crew in first (with one in the galley), I understand that buddy dining needs co-ordination but sitting opposite each other puts us in a difficult position if the food arrives in relays - definitely not a first class experience.
I did like the new crockery and glassware but the food was very average, not very hot, and not very much of it. (bring on the new caterers) The wines were the biggest disappointment of the experience with some very average reds and whites where despite the attempt to talk them up in their description, were not first class wines by name or taste. I have no idea why BA think this new 6 quid a bottle average is going to pay off on the long term, but first world issues i guess.

The crew were sweet, friendly and more relaxed than some MF crew I've had in biz or first. The reality is, that the best service I've had in first and biz has been with LH crew who whilst occasionally cranky, provide a more joined up, professional and personalised service - especially when flying as a couple.
I do appreciate the effort BA are (finally) putting into all classes in terms of genuine enhancements (and tweaking) of service. On the Canadian routes, BA now is miles aheads of AC in everything other than the seating config.
I think the new BA First once bedded in will be a superior product but it will only shine if the people delivering up provide first class service. The irony of the first enhancements on a fleet of diminishing first availability which will get worse with the arrivals of the new A350 is not lost on me

Which wine served in F can be bought for £6 ?

Thanks

DtB