Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
Print Wikipost

New CW ‘Club Suite’ Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I wonder how this will compare with Virgin's new Upper Class seat being launched this year? Is Richard Branson happy or not today?
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

I suspect it will be remarkably similar!
I wonder if this why BA have released 'Club Suite' sooner as to take the shine off VS? I doubt Branson really cares that much as he no longer has a controlling interest. They will be more concerned at the moment of the possible cabin crew strike over Easter.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Isn’t that the thing about truly revolutionary change, you don’t see it coming. Nobody saw the original BA flatbeds coming and the same with SQ and the middle eastern airlines F products, they re-invented the product rather than evolving it.

This seat is an evolution, and a very welcome one at that. But just because we can’t see the next sea change in business class air travel doesn’t mean it won’t happen. We don’t want to fall into the Charles Duell trap (“everything that can be invented has been invented” - 1899).

What is clear is that BA is now a follower rather than a leader. And that’s a decision that, to date, has worked in terms of the P&L.
Of course it is - it’s just a bit rich of those posters complaining to think less of BA for not having revolutionised business class again when they are one of what - two, at most a handful - of airlines that have managed to do that once. Lightning striking twice, etc.

More to to the point, I’m pretty sure this board has kicked around a lot of ideas on this topic, and I’m not sure any can be counted as a realistic way to change business that doesn’t move it straight into the F space. That BA also couldn’t deliver another quantum leap* shouldn’t be a surprise.

*in the generous sense of the term!
Talking Penguin likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Raffles
Qsuite on a 777 is 42 seats vs 48 for the terrible old 777 seat. Some loss of density but given that people actively avoided the old layout it was a worthwhile move.
Nope - the QSuite has the same density as the old layout, which only ever had 42 seats on the J-heavy 777.

I don’t think they were terrible either, personally - lots of space, just the hop over issue for the window pair.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:59 pm
XLB
Suspended

Programs: BA, QR, LH
Since its been a few years since the 'new first' install completed, anyone else looking forward to the "will my CW flight have the new CW suite" threads?
estate, HMPS and OneworldHarj like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by XLB
Since its been a few years since the 'new first' install completed, anyone else looking forward to the "will my CW flight have the new CW suite" threads?
Indeed! But I’m really looking forward to seeing what routes will see the CWS next. If they do the 77W refits first it will be easier to predict and by the end of 2020 77W and A350s will be ‘guaranteed’ CWS. That would give BA the choice of 3 or 4 class high-J configurations, rather than 777-200 CWS Roulette.
estate likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
This is a beautiful product. I've flown many times in the AA version of this seat and it really is difficult to imagine business class standards moving beyond this- from a hard product perspective - in the future. I think the space/design/layout will be the norm on all carriers moving forward so they will start to up their game on soft product/lounges/etc. This is a good thing.

I never. NEVER. Thought BA would give up an insanely high density business class given they control the most valuable airport in the world. Anyone who flies BA regularly who isn't thrilled with this product is crazy.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
The truth is this is a fantastic product and it’s the next best thing after the Qsuite in all honesty.

Love BA Or Hate them, at the end of the day whatever tiny reservations some may have of the seat really don’t matter because it is above and beyond what customers have asked for really. And a seat like this coupled with BAs EXTENSIVE route network?!, including the updated service on board?! once the refurbishment is complete there’s really nothing stopping them. And honestly, they’re very much back in the game. Bare in mind with the 2-4-2 disaster they still managed to keep passenger numbers high? Please.

And yes people say competitors are going to update seats by then but really and truly they won’t. In the last 20 years the innovation growth in luxury travel has been so logarithmic and with logarithmic growth it slows down eventually. So for a while I think BA will be fine.

In that light. I fear for virgin (regardless of what seat they release because it will not be a qsuite, similar to this or the delta one suite at best) because if BAs seat is this good and they have such an extensive route network with good service, what on earth would make me want to fly virgin? But I guess I only speak for myself

Last edited by opus99; Mar 18, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
Having had some time to reflect on these new seats and other members comments here's my more detailed comments:

1/ This is definitely a spruced up version on the superdiamond currently on AA/QR and whoever else I can't remember
2/ The footwell in the superdiamond is not an issue at all for me having experienced the AA superdiamond. I could even cross my feet as the footwells had ample height too.
3/ Bed length was not an issue and at just under 6 ft I still had additional length to spare. Currently on BA I have to sleep with my feet slightly to the side of the pod in front to fully lie flat with my feet in a relaxed position rather than lent against the pod infront.
4/ With the reverse herringbone I will miss the "honeymoon" seats when travelling with the wife. Qsuite will probably take my business when travelling on vacation
5/ The arm-rest concerns by people saying it's restriciting getting in and out of the pod, I'm presuming is retractable as in AA and CX. I do recall the armrest having to be in the "down" position for take-off and landing for safety
6/ I do consider the superdiamond the best business seat out there and now with BAs iteration I really think we're reaching the pinnacle of what can be achieved that keeps both the beancounters and passengers happy.
7/ I worry that BAs sloppy cleaning of the aircraft interior will let this hard product down
8/ I'm going to need to take a larger packet of sterile wipes with me to clean all those dirty surfaces!
9/ I doubt I'll get to try the new product for a few years while out here in Singapore. Only chance I see is when the 777-300 get's updated and I can take a flight SIN-SYD or SIN-LHR

I'll miss the ying-yang when it eventually goes. Despite all the critics I've been a huge fan since it's introduction.

As a parting shot I think for any airline now to really get revolutionary, they'll need to do something special in economy.
opus99 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:07 pm

But I like flying backwards! Could they fit rear-facing window seats on one side of the cabin?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
Originally Posted by RGS5526
But I like flying backwards! Could they fit rear-facing window seats on one side of the cabin?
Now that's an idea I like.
I prefer flying backwards too as some aircraft tend to cruise slightly nose up.

So one side of the aircraft will have a reverse reverse herringbone layout
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
This is an excellent seat and a massive upgrade for BA. I look forward to once again using BA for TATL flights. I'm left with only two questions though.

1) Why didn't they do this 6 years ago when they introduced the A380 and then the 787 as well?
2) What is F going to look like because this seat is basically the same as if not better than the F product currently offered?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I love the way people are referring to the new seat as the CWS :-)
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
This is an excellent seat and a massive upgrade for BA. I look forward to once again using BA for TATL flights. I'm left with only two questions though.

1) Why didn't they do this 6 years ago when they introduced the A380 and then the 787 as well?
I thought I read one of of the blogs that Sr. Cruz mentioned they spent time trying to come up with their own, new proprietary seat first. I think BA may have been late to the idea that the Ying Yang was past its sell-by date, and maybe from a business perspective it wasn't but if I understood correctly, BA also spent some time trying to come up with a new revolutionary idea before coming to this decision. I also read that for the first flatbed version it was done in 18 months from brief to first flight which sounds amazing.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Excellent, excellent, excellent.

This sets aside some of my concerns about the apparent forthcoming semi-demise of F on BA metal, I’d be happy to start travelling back in CW(S) again with this kind of product.

Well done BA.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Who would've predicted this 12 months ago when we were eating a 35p panini on half of the CE routes !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.