Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: why is T5 so badly connected?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
Originally Posted by frank_poulankh

100 miles! Manchester! Ha! Luxury! It’s 132 miles and Birmingham in my case...
Just out of interest where exactly is 132 miles form Birmingham yet BHX is the nearest airport I'm struggling to work that one out ? ��
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by aristoph
We exited T5 at 535pm and the first tube left the station at just before 6pm. 10 minutes does not apply on sunday evening! I get why we ended up here, of course I do, but it is sadly ironic that BA ended up with the worst connectivity at its own hub.
Sometimes you get a faulty train or signalling problem which causes delays. I usually check the excellent Citymapper or Tube Exit apps and if my journey took more than 20 mins longer than the prescribed times I go to the TFL website and log a delay replay claim as you get your journey refunded if it’s more than 15 minutes delayed.

I went through a phase of booking HEX tickets 90 days in advance for £5.50 to treat myself even though from most points in London the tube is quicker and cheaper the small premium will be justified on airport bound trains as certain times of the day. HEX however changed this quite sneakily to weekends and bank holidays making travel on normal days a lot more.

You also have the night bus 7 days a week for a mere £1.50 for late arrivals and early departures and of course on Friday and Saturday nights there is now the night tube making Saturday and Sunday early morning flights cheaper and easier.

Typically despite living 20 mins from LCY I’d depart from LHR mostly due to destination not being served from LCY. LGW has trains 24 hours a day and now accepts Oyster and the departure airport experience is very much improved on what it was but it’s still my third choice all in all pretty happy getting to/from T5.. could be worse.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
As these posts evidence, the time needed to get to the airport is well understood, frequencies are good, so I don't see much of a problem EXCEPT for those who have an early flight and face the tube's late start.

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
It was around 10 years ago that I went to KL and I took the KLIA, although it only cost around £5 then. A quick google shows it to be £10 now with current exchange rates.
KLIA Ekspres is great, fast and cost effective, if you're on your own and happen to be staying at one of the station hotels. If you're a couple/party, or going to need a final taxi to your hotel/home (not close to an LRT station and/or you have bags) it's likely cheaper and much more convenient, less faff, using taxi from the airport.

Bargain transport is the bus at £2. Comfortable, of course air-conditioned, half-hourly, it takes about one hour to Sentral. From there the same onward connection caveats apply.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
The HEX is great for those of us in W1. I can leave my house an hour before wheels up and still have time for coffee and a sandwich in the GF or CCR. The experience of heading straight to LHR from a meeting in the city is somewhat less rosy...
adrianlondon and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by warreng
The HEX is great for those of us in W1. I can leave my house an hour before wheels up and still have time for coffee and a sandwich in the GF or CCR.
I think there is some exaggeration in that claim...

With a travel time of 20 minutes from Paddington to T5, 5 mins from HEX platform to First Wing (if you run) and 35 minutes conformance, you'd have to get from your front door in W1 to the HEX in zero seconds flat. 😊
adrianlondon, Yllanes and Oaxaca like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
This thread strikes me as the tree that hides the forest type. Public transport in London (and arguably in the UK) is just generally poor, non-comprehensive, quite expensive, and relying on an outdating infrastructure which requires extensive works most Sundays of the year! Heathrow connections suffer from that general picture but are comparatively not so bad, at least the tube goes there! HEX goes from Paddington, arguably the least central of all major London stations (even the reference to W1 above is mistaken in my view: great for "Marble Arch W1", no doubt, but try it from "Cambridge Circus W1" and the picture is already quite different!). Crossrail should improve things a lot, but arguably, T5 will not be the luckiest part of the airport even after it opens... Ultimately, the T123 block gets the bulk of the privileges and T4 and T5 fight for the leftovers...
adrianlondon and mpkz like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Misco60
I think there is some exaggeration in that claim...

With a travel time of 20 minutes from Paddington to T5, 5 mins from HEX platform to First Wing (if you run) and 35 minutes conformance, you'd have to get from your front door in W1 to the HEX in zero seconds flat. 😊
DYKWIA
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Public transport in London (and arguably in the UK) is just generally poor, non-comprehensive, quite expensive,
Depends upon what you measure it against I guess. I think public transport in London in excellent and has amazing coverage. I was reading that 90% of the population live within 300M of a tube stop - to me that is very comprehensive coverage. When you are used to bus service that is either every hour or half hour the system in London looks very good.

As a tourist I have been able to get anywhere I wanted to all on public transit and connections that were quite short ( by my standards). I've never felt the need to rent a car for example, which would be the default in many other cities.
NickB, adrianlondon, Gerbs and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I was reading that 90% of the population live within 300M of a tube stop - to me that is very comprehensive coverage.
It would be a wonderful coverage indeed, but unfortunately, whoever wrote that got the figure very badly wrong indeed!!

The statistics of the MoL is that 90% of London homes are within... 1,500 metres (1.5km) of a tube or train or tram station, ie a distance 5 times longer!! Apart from the City of London, the Borough with the most homes that are close to tube stops is Camden, and even then, it is only 85% of homes within 500 metres of a tube stop. In much of the East and South, the tube network is still rather poor, and in Havering, Barking and Dagenham, and Bexley, the proportion of homes which are more than 1,500 metres away from a tube stop is very large. the proportion of the London population living within 250m of a tube/train/tram station (I haven’t seen figures on 300, their stats seem to have 1500, 1000, 500 and 250) is actually very small! The price premium for being close to a tube stop is also significant.

You are right that it depends on what you compare it to. For instance, there are more homes away from stations in Strathclyde or Greater Manchester, but arguably those urban areas did not so much start as single core and more as multi-core/urban sprawls. What I a comparing it to when I say that the London transport system is thus not less large UK cities but rather other "first world" metropoles - Paris, New York City, Tokyo, Moscow, or even other European main cities such as Berlin, Budapest, Copenhagen, Zurich, etc all of which have a much denser, effective, and cheaper urban transportation network especially when you count all rail infrastructure (ie train, tube, and tram).
adrianlondon and mpkz like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 7, 2019 at 4:11 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
I love using public transport, trains and trams especially. Since relocating from Yorkshire to Dunstable for work in 2011, I always used public transport to get to T5. When one of sons graduated from uni and got a job at TFL, he nominated me to have a free oyster card…. Happy days.
My journey from home to T5 would be to catch a bus to Luton railway station which run frequently. However, at Luton station you have no lift access to platforms! What’s this all about? The station carries over 3.5 million users per year. This was bad enough for me lugging a heavy suitcase or 2, but what about wheel chair users, parents with strollers, and those with less mobility? That’s another story.
St Pancras to Piccadilly line is doable with lifts to platform but it is not fun in peak time crowds trying to get onto a packed carriage with suitcases. Then it’s about an hour journey from St Pancras which isn’t too bad.
Alternatively I would take the train to Farringdon and then switch to tube to get HEX from Paddington. Farringdon inter change is brilliant coming from the north as only a couple of steps and yards to get onto the tube. This saved a bit of time over the tube, but HEX is expensive particularly when compared to free oyster card travel.
I did this for a year or so but now free oyster card travel stays in my wallet. I just drive, as I find it less of a hassle even having to use the M25. I plan drive with a one hour delay contingency, which if I don’t need it means more time in lounge.
Also because work schedule often has me arriving back into LHR on a Sunday from DUB or EDI, it is so much better going straight to car than trying to get home on public transport. No way is driving and parking cheaper… but my mantra “life’s too short”.

Last edited by IntVic; Jan 7, 2019 at 12:50 am Reason: grammar
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:11 am

The true scandal of T5 connectivity is surely the cost of the Heathrow Express.

i usually take a minicab for ~£30 rather than the HEX, even though I live less than 5 minutes uber (10-15 mins walk) from Paddington. Unless we book a long way in advance, or are travelling at the peak of the rush hour, it seems ludicrous for public transport for 2 people to be £20-£30 more than a taxi.
adrianlondon and Gerbs like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
How many cities are aa spread out as greater London and how many have their airport terminals so far apart they warrant their own public transport station? I'm sure others better travel can offer comparisons.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
I like to have a shower over in the T2 Plaza Premium Arrivals Lounge, as there are no shower arrival shower facilities in T5 that I am eligible to use. It always surprises me the length of time that it appears to take to get from the T5 EU passport holder border control, over to T2 via the free Heathrow express and the walk.

T5 certainly doesn't feel well connected when the act of moving from T5 to T2 seems to take so long.

As an aside, T2/3 always feels better connected because all Piccadilly and I think all HEX trains too, stop there whereas T5 and T4 alternate.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Flying12345
The true scandal of T5 connectivity is surely the cost of the Heathrow Express.

i usually take a minicab for ~£30 rather than the HEX, even though I live less than 5 minutes uber (10-15 mins walk) from Paddington. Unless we book a long way in advance, or are travelling at the peak of the rush hour, it seems ludicrous for public transport for 2 people to be £20-£30 more than a taxi.
The reason the HEX gets away with their pricing - including the peak hour surcharge - is that they're competing against London traffic. 9 times out of 10 the HEX is faster than a minicab, especially during peak times. They're not aiming to undercut minicabs on price, but rather on convenience and door-to-door journey time.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by warreng
The reason the HEX gets away with their pricing - including the peak hour surcharge - is that they're competing against London traffic. 9 times out of 10 the HEX is faster than a minicab, especially during peak times. They're not aiming to undercut minicabs on price, but rather on convenience and door-to-door journey time.
By the time I’ve got an uber to Paddington, lugged my bags down to the platform, waited for the train and then got off the train and lugged my bags at the other end, I really don’t think the difference is more than 10 minutes (35ish vs 45) and it’s certainly less convenient than being dropped off by the check in desk. I live very close to Paddington too, for other people it’s surely faster to get a cab. The exception being in rush hour, when I agree the train wins every time, although in my experience the taxi still doesn’t take more than an hour, even on a busy Friday evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.