FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Rant: why is T5 so badly connected? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1949497-rant-why-t5-so-badly-connected.html)

aristoph Jan 6, 2019 11:22 am

Rant: why is T5 so badly connected?

Living in the City I try to avoid LHR for short-haul flights, preferring LCY, LGW and even STN, but sometimes needs must. Never mind we though, Piccadilly to Hammersmith and change to District, it should take just over an hour. Wrong. I’d never thought about it before but T5 is an afterthought on both the tube and HEX lines. Even T4 looks like it would get more service! How did BA build a flagship terminal at its hone base and not insist that it would be the ground transportation hub? And will Crossrail (if it ever happens) be any better?

Rant over. :-)

Scots_Al Jan 6, 2019 11:25 am

T5 gets much better service that T4.

As for T5 being the ground transport hub... maybe they should have built it a bit further east, sorta where terminals 2/3 are?

But yes, T5 is literally an after-thought in terms of the tube!

Cheapskate22 Jan 6, 2019 11:26 am

HEX is an incredibly easy way to get to T5. Obvs it depends where you live, but from Fitrovia I find it’s always faster to get to LHR than to LCY, and certainly much better than LGW or STN.

T8191 Jan 6, 2019 11:27 am

Random evolution of airport and rail, with no intellectual connection? ;)

aristoph Jan 6, 2019 11:28 am

Exactly! And on one site instead of with a ridiculous transit system? Today reaffirmed my view that T5 is only worthwhile if you are going long-haul. Otherwise you spend more time getting to and through the airport (oh and queuing or
stacking) than you do flying to your destination.

Sealink Jan 6, 2019 11:29 am

Originally Posted by aristoph (Post 30617974)
Living in the City I try to avoid LHR for short-haul flights, preferring LCY, LGW and even STN, but sometimes needs must. Never mind we though, Piccadilly to Hammersmith and change to District, it should take just over an hour. Wrong. I’d never thought about it before but T5 is an afterthought on both the tube and HEX lines. Even T4 looks like it would get more service! How did BA build a flagship terminal at its hone base and not insist that it would be the ground transportation hub? And will Crossrail (if it ever happens) be any better?

It is because the tube was here first and we don't live in a country known for its future transport planning.

NickB Jan 6, 2019 11:30 am

I don't understand this rant. T5 is served by underground trains every 10 minutes and by the Hex every 15 minutes. That strikes me as eminently reasonable. Admittedly, Piccadilly line service could start earlier from central London for early morning departures but, apart from that, service seems to me fairly appropriate.

corporate-wage-slave Jan 6, 2019 11:37 am

Crossrail will be your friend (though perhaps not your taxation friend) in due course. Farringdon to Heathrow T5 in 38 minutes. But you live 20 miles from the airport, you have to cross one of the busiest and most congested cities on the planet to do so, and it takes a bit over an hour? I don't think that's too bad.

aristoph Jan 6, 2019 11:40 am

We exited T5 at 535pm and the first tube left the station at just before 6pm. 10 minutes does not apply on sunday evening! I get why we ended up here, of course I do, but it is sadly ironic that BA ended up with the worst connectivity at its own hub.

JFX1764 Jan 6, 2019 11:42 am

How is Terminal 5 any 'worse' connected that T2, T3 or T4?

JFX1764 Jan 6, 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by aristoph (Post 30618045)
We exited T5 at 535pm and the first tube left the station at just before 6pm. 10 minutes does not apply on sunday evening! I get why we ended up here, of course I do, but it is sadly ironic that BA ended up with the worst connectivity at its own hub.

Tube is still a scheduled 10 minute service at that time on a Sunday. That may not happen in reality due to the un-reliable nature of the Piccadilly Line (and future improvements put on hold too)

aristoph Jan 6, 2019 11:47 am

Originally Posted by JFX1764 (Post 30618054)
How is Terminal 5 any 'worse' connected that T2, T3 or T4?

Well presumably the service is twice as frequent from T2/3 as they have trains from T4 and T5?

T4 I give you. :-)

UKtravelbear Jan 6, 2019 12:00 pm

Yet somehow thousands of people a day manage to get into central London with little or no difficulty despite T5 apparently being so badly connected.

It's not badly connected at all.

madfish Jan 6, 2019 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by aristoph (Post 30617974)

Try living somewhere where your nearest airport is 100 miles away. And then that airport is Manchester.

Quit your moaning. You don’t know how easy you have it! :)

Ldnn1 Jan 6, 2019 12:15 pm

T2/3 are better connected than T5 and T4 for sure, since they have double the Tube frequency plus both HEX *and* TFL Rail.

However for me the issue isn’t so much about the difference between the terminals, but the poor journey options between Heathrow generally and where I live in fairly central London (Angel). I for one can’t wait for Crossrail. Until then, Luton and Gatwick will remain my preferred airports for shorthaul.