Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: why is T5 so badly connected?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I do love reading these posts saying how easy it is on the Tube. That would be with a couple of suitcaes? ... oh, of course, this is the HBO Community!

There are hundreds of thousands of people using LHR annually. They don’t all live on a convenient rail junction, they arrive near LHR using different airports, etc etc.

“London Airways”? You’d better believe it if you’re HBO!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by aristoph
How did BA build a flagship terminal at its hone base
BA didn't build T5. I really don't see T5 as badly connected by train lines at all - maybe the tube is a little less frequent, but anybody taking the tube all the way to Central London is not choosy about time. The tube and rail stations are conveniently directly below the terminal whereas T2/T3 are a fair walk away.

Aside from HEx, tube, TfL Rail (via Heathrow Central) and soon Crossrail, plenty of people arrive at T5 by car/taxi and bus/coach too. T5 has its own bus station which is more than you can say for T2/T3.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I live Pimlico, so literally a 4 minute walk to Gatwick Express, yet that takes me 67 minutes door to door, vs 59 minutes to LHR T5. 48 minutes to LCY. Whilst LCY is faster with no requirement for conformance, the lack of lounge I’ll stick with LHR as the easiest for me, usually no queue F wing security and I’m sure within 80 minutes of leaving the house I can be having dinner in the lounge.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
BA didn't build T5. I really don't see T5 as badly connected by train lines at all - maybe the tube is a little less frequent, but anybody taking the tube all the way to Central London is not choosy about time.

Aside from HEx, tube, TfL Rail (via Heathrow Central) and soon Crossrail, plenty of people arrive at T5 by car/taxi and bus/coach too.
To the City the tube is supposed to be the fastest option, according to TFL and Google,
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
It all depends on where you live. Im 2 miles from T5 but Public transport would take 30 minutes. So I take a cab.

Went to Gatwick last year and it took about 2 hours same with LCY.

To be honest we shall be moving in a years time and it will be on the wish list to get somewhere on a line to LHR or Gatwick.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
I do love reading these posts saying how easy it is on the Tube. That would be with a couple of suitcaes? ... oh, of course, this is the HBO Community!
While not necessarily 'easy', many people make the trip by tube with two (and more!) suitcases
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JFX1764
While not necessarily 'easy', many people make the trip by tube with two (and more!) suitcases
As a former intensive user of the Tube (Briefcae Only) for many many years, I’m impressed. I find the concept barely practical and fraught with luggage security risks!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I find LHR very well connected to London, especially if compared to many Italian airports...

By the way, I tried the tube with small suitcases and kids in tow. No complains from me
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:05 pm

As a former intensive user of the Tube (Briefcae Only) for many many years, I’m impressed. I find the concept barely practical and fraught with luggage security risks!
At £3.10 one way to Zone 1 outside of 06:30-09:30, I think people conveniently forget about possible security alerts they could be causing!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Try coming down from the West Midlands!

The answer is because any infrastructure development in this country is held hostage to a host of NIMBY and BANANA objections, and capital spending is unfortunately not a big priority for most voters.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The last time we went to LHR with luggage from the centre of London we booked a taxi at a very reasonable rate.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m simply thinking of the days we lived in Camberley. How close is that to LHR? And only a mile to the railway station! How did we get to LHR? Only sane answer was private hire taxi.

Squillions of people live in the ‘fringes’ of LHR, but it can be a bu§§er to get there with luggage (our personal record is 5 bags). The Central London community live on a different Planet, IMO.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I’m simply thinking of the days we lived in Camberley. How close is that to LHR? And only a mile to the railway station! How did we get to LHR? Only sane answer was private hire taxi.

Squillions of people live in the ‘fringes’ of LHR, but it can be a bu§§er to get there with luggage (our personal record is 5 bags). The Central London community live on a different Planet, IMO.
i don’t think that’s fair, people talk from their personal experience. Your experience may vary. This doesn’t mean someone with a different experience and/or indeed opinion is on a different planet.

i’m keen to hear others experience, particularly those who’ve used ZipCar one-way as I’ve though about using this previously. Equally so with AirPortr.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
The last time we went to LHR with luggage from the centre of London we booked a taxi at a very reasonable rate.
Was your taxi from a time of being horse-drawn or did it actually have an engine?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:05 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I have to say that I've never considered LHR to be badly connected when it comes to getting into central London. If, God forbid, your final destination is somewhere in the flaming orc pits of Mordor that lie outside the M25, then things do tend to get a bit tricker. But Londoners do not, I fear, have much cause to complain.

I can certainly think of airports where the only nod to any form of public transport is a bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.