Rant: why is T5 so badly connected?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA
Redacted
wilsnunn likes this.

Last edited by LGWClosedAgain; Mar 19, 2019 at 8:20 am
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:24 pm

I'll be spending a weekend in Brighton some time soon, and my dilemma is to fly BA to LHR (using airmiles and enjoy lounge access with my silver status) or Easyjet into LGW. Gatwick is looking to be the winner unfortunately.

Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain
Trying living in KL, it's around an hour without traffic.
It was around 10 years ago that I went to KL and I took the KLIA, although it only cost around £5 then. A quick google shows it to be £10 now with current exchange rates.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by madfish

Try living somewhere where your nearest airport is 100 miles away. And then that airport is Manchester.

Quit your moaning. You don’t know how easy you have it!
100 miles! Manchester! Ha! Luxury! It’s 132 miles and Birmingham in my case...
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Will crossrail use the HEX lines or be totally new?
Will HEX exist beyong crossrail?
Originally Posted by Mordac
Crossrail will use the (existing) Great Western Mainline (GWML) from Reading and Heathrow to Paddington (PAD). At PAD it will go onto a new low-level station and enter the new-build tunnel. HEX is planned to continue in existence, and in fact its operation was recently contracted out to Great Western Railway (GWR), who will be converting some of the Class 387 trains they use for current suburban services on the GWML for use on the HEX services, so replace the Class 332s that are currently used. Whether this will survive the commercial reality of a post-Crossrail world is a different story.
From T5 yes crossrail will use the HEX lines (which aren't part of the national rail network) - there was a court case that HAL lost relating to how the access charges for crossrail to use the line would be calculated.

HAL have an agreement with Network Rail for HEX to have access paths to the GWML from Airport Junction (where the HEX lines join the main line) to Paddington until 2028
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
T5 gets much better service that T4.

As for T5 being the ground transport hub... maybe they should have built it a bit further east, sorta where terminals 2/3 are?

But yes, T5 is literally an after-thought in terms of the tube!
T5 was very much in the thoughts of the tube when T4 was built - hence the long journey between T4 and T23 on the Piccadilly Line.

However, T5 was then built in a different location (as you would expect )
adrianlondon and Scots_Al like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not sure...Albert and Harold were the drivers names I recall.
But maybe Hercules provided the propulsion?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by aristoph
To the City the tube is supposed to be the fastest option, according to TFL and Google,
Fellow City dweller here. The tube is the fastest option, but we all know that the Piccadilly line sometimes (especially on a Sunday evening) can have some poor service.
The 6TPH off-peak to T5 is not ideal; but usually about the same time as HEX + walk + Central Line; and with more regularity.

Crossrail will be much better when it starts running through the central section to Heathrow on the same train (the Class 345's still cannot traverse the LHR tunnel atm)
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Until not that long ago EZE never used to be accessible by public transport from BA at all....unless you had about 4 hours to kill and were prepared to walk the last kilometre or two. For more up-to-date info wake up the Argentina forum.
Somewhat OT but bus line 8 is hardly new and will get you from Plaza de Mayo straight into the airport without having to walk any distance. Granted it is not the fastest and will take a good couple of hours from central BsAs though the odd dodgy neighbourhood or two en route and you are unlikely to find many foreign tourists in it as they are bound to be in a taxi or Tienda León shuttle, but it is available.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by JFX1764
While not necessarily 'easy', many people make the trip by tube with two (and more!) suitcases
I attest to this. I’ve done Euston to LHR by tube toting a suitcase, cabin case and a satchel at least three times in recent memory plus return. I’ve done it with Old Mother Jimbo in tow. Done it once to Stanstead (never again) and I’ve done it to LGW twice - although I always drive down to Gatwick now from the NW of England because parking is a steal and staying the night before negates the M40/M25 cluster....
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NickB
Somewhat OT but bus line 8 is hardly new and will get you from Plaza de Mayo straight into the airport without having to walk any distance. Granted it is not the fastest and will take a good couple of hours from central BsAs though the odd dodgy neighbourhood or two en route and you are unlikely to find many foreign tourists in it as they are bound to be in a taxi or Tienda León shuttle, but it is available.
That's the new service.. The previous service didn't quite make it to the terminal despite what it claimed.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:42 pm

Bus number eeeeeeight took 3hrs Sat afternoon. Grew a beard in that bus, and had time to shave it.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
As a resident of one of the outermost southern London boroughs (Sutton), I’ve long since had a gripe with T5's accessibility via public transport.

There is no rail option that I know of, and the nearest tube option would translate into a bus ride to Morden, with long ride into London and then back out west again after changing at Green Park or thereabouts.

There is a very good direct bus service (X26) which takes you to the central bus station, and really, T2 is literally there. To get to T5 from the central bus station, I could go to the T2/3 underground and then go one stop down. I’ve been quite unlucky every time I’ve tried that, with waits averaging about 10 minutes. There was this one time that I was told that the next Piccadilly train would be 25 (!) minutes. Moving between terminals via HEX is out as it involves a bit more walking.

I could change from the X26 at Hatton Cross and get on to another bus to T5 from there, but this goes to T4 first and you’re looking at another 20 minutes at best while making all the glamorous stops down the Southern Perimeter road. I once spent 45 minutes on the way to T5 from Hatton Cross as the roads around T4 were positively rammed.

Outside rush hour, the X26 and whatever option I choose onwards takes just a bit less than two hours to get me to T5. A taxi ride is 40-45 minutes, and this has been my preferred option, especially during the early hours of the morning when I know traffic won’t be an issue.

I will definitely give Crossrail a go once it’s all up and running for comparison purposes, as on paper, it may be able to get me there in about an hour and 10 minutes if I were to get to Farrigdon via thameslink and then onwards to T5, which would be perfectly acceptable (but I may be overly optimistic in my calculations).

My long preferred solution for the southern belt folk, would be a rail connection from Clapham Junction. I’m pretty sure that would suit a lot of people…

For comparison, it’s faster for me to get to LCY and LGW via public transport, than LHR, but the latter is actually, my closest airport in terms of distance…

Go figure.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain
Trying living in KL, it's around an hour without traffic.
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
It was around 10 years ago that I went to KL and I took the KLIA, although it only cost around £5 then. A quick google shows it to be £10 now with current exchange rates.
The KLIA Express with LRT/MRT connection if required is certainly under an hour to downtown KL. Faster and cheaper than even the budget taxi; comparable to HEX/tube combination despite a more remote airport location.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the new service.. The previous service didn't quite make it to the terminal despite what it claimed.
That is not new. I have been taking it occasionally for years and it already went all the way to the airport. What is new is that they now have "semi-fast" services that use the motorway whereas before the semi-fast terminated in Liniers and the ones going all the way to the airport were all slow services. As Yemona says, however, it can be very slooooooow.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That is not new. I have been taking it occasionally for years and it already went all the way to the airport. What is new is that they now have "semi-fast" services that use the motorway whereas before the semi-fast terminated in Liniers and the ones going all the way to the airport were all slow services. As Yemona says, however, it can be very slooooooow.
Fair enough...I'll stick to taxis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.