Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I know its a first world problem, but how can I stop this happening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I know its a first world problem, but how can I stop this happening?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Well spotted

Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
But "cost reduction is in our DNA"

Does one have to carry a screen shot of BA ........ marketing on to every F flight???
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
The OP alluded to the nature of the problem being 'first world'. In that context the post seems perfectly reasonable. Paying for a service that includes a featured champagne means that it should be delivered (or an acceptable substitute of similar value). It is not an issue of entitlement but reasonable expectation. Companies failing to deliver what they promise should be held to account.
I'm fully aware it was made clear about being a 'first-world problem', but that still doesn't make it any less entitled. Like I've said, those who are able to fly in premium classes are already more fortunate than the average Joe and FT members really need to bear in mind that they are the lucky few who are able to do so, be it for work, leisure, luck, whatever.

Also, as I've said, it was never clear if the OP referred to just a specific champagne being unavailable with others on offer or not. If this is the case, then it is pure entitlement in my opinion. If it was a case of absolutely nothing being on board, then perhaps there is still a SMALL case, but really, again, in my opinion, nothing really complaint-worthy. One should be thankful for what they have rather than complain about what they don't have.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Buy some LPGS at duty free, if they run out on board consume them and then send them the invoice. Then post on Twitter your adventure and give dailymail a call. ‘British Airways First Class introduces Bring on Board’

Mind you if they do not run out, I guess you’ll have to find something else to do with the bottles !
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
I once tasted what was clearly not LPGS in my glass having requested a top-up. The crew were very apologetic but genuinely didn’t realise that there would be a noticeable difference between LPGS and Castelnau (!!!!) and so hadn’t thought to mention it. If the crew aren’t aware or bothered, it makes service recovery pretty tough. They rescued it by plonking bottles of Camel Valley and Bordeaux down
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by ilcannone
I'm fully aware it was made clear about being a 'first-world problem', but that still doesn't make it any less entitled. Like I've said, those who are able to fly in premium classes are already more fortunate than the average Joe and FT members really need to bear in mind that they are the lucky few who are able to do so, be it for work, leisure, luck, whatever.

Also, as I've said, it was never clear if the OP referred to just a specific champagne being unavailable with others on offer or not. If this is the case, then it is pure entitlement in my opinion. If it was a case of absolutely nothing being on board, then perhaps there is still a SMALL case, but really, again, in my opinion, nothing really complaint-worthy. One should be thankful for what they have rather than complain about what they don't have.
I understand what you mean and agree (as acknowledged by the OP) that it’s a first world problem. As my mum said about parent & child parking “when I was your age, I didn’t have a car, let alone a special place to park it”.

However, it’s meant to be a premium product and should be delivered. I think the OP has every right to call this out.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by muscat
Drink faster, or ask for your first glass to be in a tumbler or coffee mug. (Like the other passengers)
ask for the bottle next time
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

However, it’s meant to be a premium product and should be delivered. I think the OP has every right to call this out.
I would say no serving of Champagne at any stage of the flight goes against what is advertised. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

argonath likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: BA GGL
Another data point, I was on clubworld CPT - LHR recently, after 1 and a half glasses of champagne, I was told there was no more. I asked why and was told not much was loaded on and what little there was was being kept back for first class. Not the end of the world but not great considering the cost of the ticket.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:42 am

Using that logic, we could never complain about almost anything in this country. Order and pay for a Big Mac meal and you only get fries, "people in Africa are starving - shut up and stop complaining".

While I have called out ridiculous rants on here like when people get genuinely upset that a plastic wrapper wasn't removed for them etc., if you pay for a specific service you have every right to complain if you don't receive the service, no matter how lucky or privileged you may be.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Dec 10, 2018 at 11:22 pm Reason: Remove personal attack per rule 12
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:25 am

It's not entitlement if you pay for an expensive champagne and receive an inferior one. Entitlement is unearned privilege. If you pay for a service with featured products then you should receive exactly that, Not an inferior substitute in terms of value. In this case, an adequate replacement was not offered. It's not ok for a restaurant to substitute Kobe Beef with rump steak. Subject2Load correctly summed up that the focus should be on the failure to deliver a promised service. You have made it all about your rather narrow perception of F passengers.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by callum9999

Using that logic, we could never complain about almost anything in this country. Order and pay for a Big Mac meal and you only get fries, "people in Africa are starving - shut up and stop complaining".

if you pay for a specific service you have every right to complain if you don't receive the service, no matter how lucky or privileged you may be.
These points made me smile as I was going to use a Big Mac comparison but, as I have never had one, didn't know what they consisted of. You are so entitled Joking, of course, it's because I am a vegetarian. I agree with your points. It's about getting what you pay for - in any cabin.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:33 pm

All champagnes are not the same. If an advertised product is not available then a substitute of equal value should be offered. Imagine if someone orders a bottle of champagne online - paying £130 - and is sent a bottle worth £20? Would that be an acceptable substitute? Is that an honourable way for a supplier to conduct business? When on an economy flight, I don't expect to be served the same as in F or J. I do expect the service to reflect what was advertised and paid for. I don't make judgements of passengers by cabin class. You do. You are entitled to your own prejudices.
eae and no2blues like this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Dec 10, 2018 at 11:24 pm Reason: Quoting post removed by moderators

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.